Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Machines and Brewing Methods
Best auto drip brewer on the market?
Rocket R58 Double Boiler
Rocket Espresso R58 Double Boiler -  Everything you need for the perfect shot!
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Best auto drip...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 7 of 13 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
EricBNC
EricBNC
Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: QM Silvano, LP Stradivarius,...
Grinder: K30, Major, Preciso, Pharos,...
Vac Pot: Sunbeam C30, Bodum Santos...
Drip: Bonavita BV-1800,...
Roaster: Behmor, Melitta, Fresh...
Posted Sat Nov 17, 2012, 12:00am
Subject: Re: Best auto drip brewer on the market?

onthemoors Said:

No, I just spotted you complaining sometime back on GCBC about Joe not responding to your demands and since then you've been bitchy on Behmor.

Posted November 13, 2012 link

I thought this comment deserves an explanation so here is my response.

I watched a streaming video from Sweet Maria's. In the video - a long video since the comment that I mention next comes about an hour and six minutes in - you know you are a geek when you watch a coffee related video that is over an hour long ; ) - Tom is working magic on his sample Probat roaster and he mentions a new version of Behmor roaster (I have and enjoy a Behmor 1600 I purchased from the long time enthusiast Dan Brewer who unfortunately has since passed away) that got me excited. When Joe started hinting about a new machine I thought it was the machine Tom mentioned. A simple and honest mistake on my part, but I was still a little disappointed.

Since the time of the thread onthemoors mentions that was posted on another forum I have exchanged emails with Joe. There are no hard feelings from what I can tell based on our communication. I think the Behmor brewer is a neat addition to the small pool of "enthusiast" coffee brewers on the market. I did not ask for nor expect a free machine (why should I?).

If you buy any of these 4 brewers shown in the video then you are on the hardcore side of the fence considering their cost vs. other machines in the market. I haven't had the opportunity to try the YouBrew and really am not interested since the grinder is built in. I have an older Capresso 454 with the grinder built in along with some other machines that use this type of set up. They might work for some, but they are not for me. The other three have a design that is more attractive to me personally, hence the interest in the video.

I chew coffee beans with my teeth while gargling with 195 F water to enjoy coffee. What is this "coffee brewing" device you speak of?
 View Profile Link to this post
onthemoors

Expertise: I love coffee

Grinder: Zassenhaus
Drip: Bunn
Roaster: Hottop, Behmor
Posted Sat Nov 17, 2012, 6:57am

C'mon admit it you have been bitchy since that exchange and you did find the results interesting, results that were the byproduct of poor methodology and possibly even bias. The real fault sits with Seattle Coffee Gear for putting out such unprofessional trash you just happened to bite on the hook Eric.
EricBNC
EricBNC

Posted Sat Nov 17, 2012, 7:50am

onthemoors Said:

C'mon admit it you have been bitchy since that exchange and you did find the results interesting, results that were the byproduct of poor methodology and possibly even bias. The real fault sits with Seattle Coffee Gear for putting out such unprofessional trash you just happened to bite on the hook Eric.

Posted November 17, 2012 link

Wow, just wow.

You are so afraid to admit you might not have the best coffee maker in the world on your counter. This is killing you, isn't it? The Technivorm and the Bonavita making a better cup? Sure, those brewers have been around for ages (Bonavita BV-1800 MSRP $129 - a steal - is based closely on the venerable Melitta Aroma Excellence) but losing out to the Breville Youbrew, another newcomer, must really hurt.

Ever tried tea? Some like it alot...

I chew coffee beans with my teeth while gargling with 195 F water to enjoy coffee. What is this "coffee brewing" device you speak of?
jbviau
jbviau

Grinder: Preciso / LIDOs
Drip: Trifecta MB / Eva Solo...
Posted Sat Nov 17, 2012, 9:25am
Subject: Re: Arm the Spiker Torpedoes Mr Spock...

Actually, neither of you has used the Brazen, correct?

Eric, you've tried pretty much every other drip machine (!), so I'd be interested to get your take (as opposed to Gail's).
germantownrob
germantownrob

Espresso: Duetto 3, A Dead Oscar
Grinder: Vario-W, Preciso w/Esatto,...
Drip: Brazen
Roaster: Diedrich IR-1, HT B
Posted Sat Nov 17, 2012, 11:10am
Subject: Re: Arm the Spiker Torpedoes Mr Spock...

EricBNC Said:

You are so afraid to admit you might not have the best coffee maker in the world on your counter. This is killing you, isn't it? The Technivorm and the Bonavita making a better cup? Sure, those brewers have been around for ages (Bonavita BV-1800 MSRP $129 - a steal - is based closely on the venerable Melitta Aroma Excellence) but losing out to the Breville Youbrew, another newcomer, must really hurt.

Lets be honest, put the line up of brewers and let 10 different coffee lovers taste the brews and the order of favorites would surly change from person to person. Gail made her choices and that is her choice, I would not base any winner of overall performance on a single persons taste test, I like specs, facts, and things like that before I spend $130-$300 on something I am going to use everyday. As you mentioned Eric everyone of these brewers is capable of making a really good cup of joe.

I have used everyone of the brewers except the Breville, the Brazen I own was a gift so I have no money involved in any of these brewers and I have never had a bad pot ( that wasn't the beans fault) from the three machines I have used. That being said the Brazen offers some features that the other machine do not and I utilize this to make temp changes to get variation from the same bean and this has made me like drip again.

When in stores I will often gravitate to the coffee brewers just to see what is around, it is amazing how many machines are out there between $100-$250 that many people buy that just can't deliver the proper water temp. I personally could never spend the money on something I can easily do for a few bucks with a pour over and a kettle, kind of funny I had no problem spending $9k on a roaster but will be so cheap about a brewer. When people ask me advice on a brewer the Bonavita was always the machine I suggested in the past, now I also suggest the Brazen.
frcn
frcn
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Vibiemme Domobar Double
Grinder: Mazzer Kony, Baratza...
Vac Pot: Hario, 2 Cory pots, 1 Cory...
Drip: Behmor Brazen, Bunn A10 mod...
Roaster: computer controlled Hottop,...
Posted Sat Nov 17, 2012, 11:36am

The best auto-brew drip machine...
"Best," how? We have to assume that it is the quality of the coffee. Other things may matter to varying degrees (re: appearance, S.A.F., size, ease of use, clean-up difficulty), but if the taste of the coffee is not priority number one, what's the point of the conversation?

I will say it again:
Any drip machine which does not offer precise temperature control and temperature adjustment places second, at best, when compared to the Brazen. There are a few machines that can brew at their factory-designed temperature, but that assumes that all coffees taste best at one temperature. They do not. This machine sets a new standard in auto drip brewers leaving the rest of the industry to catch up.

The SCG videos giving a tour of products can be helpful. I enjoyed their internal tours of their full-auto machines, nasty things that they are. But as a source for objective comparative testing? No. The last place for accurate information is from someone selling the gear and by employees who are not trained as coffee tasters. And testing some with paper and some with the gold filters? Ridiculous.

Visit My Website
www.EspressoMyEspresso.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
EvanOz85
EvanOz85
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: La Spaziale Mini Vivaldi II
Grinder: Baratza Vario and Preciso
Vac Pot: Bodum Santos, Yama 5-cup
Drip: Chemex, Kone 3, Kalita Wave,...
Roaster: Hottop B, Behmor 1600
Posted Sat Nov 17, 2012, 12:12pm

Just to stir things up a little bit more..SCG also implies in their videos that the Behmor 1600 is a better roaster than a Hottop. How's that for credibility?
Prof
Prof
Expertise: Pro Roaster

Espresso: PV Lusso
Grinder: Pharos 696
Drip: Aeropress
Roaster: Behmor 1600+
Posted Sat Nov 17, 2012, 3:17pm

EvanOz85 Said:

Just to stir things up a little bit more..SCG also implies in their videos that the Behmor 1600 is a better roaster than a Hottop. How's that for credibility?

Now THAT one sounds correct to me!  :)

LMWDP # 010
Intrepid510

Posted Sat Nov 17, 2012, 4:25pm

Too bad they didn't use paper filters in each I think that would've gave for better results. They should've also thrown in a 15 dollar Mr Coffee in there just for reference too.

Less water, more grounds.
EricBNC
EricBNC

Posted Sat Nov 17, 2012, 7:03pm

Unfortunately the number of vendors carrying the Technivorm, Behmor and Bonavita (going forward I am leaving the Breville out of my conversation since nobody has mentioned it) is small. Sweet Maria's does offer these as well as the Bunn Trifecta. Those four machines going head to head with Tom tweaking his method for each would be a great video. If I had a wish come true it would be that Tom gathers the four he sells and then adds the Bodum Bistro and Bunn HG to the fight.

I also wish  this thread can continue to settle down and become less focused on SCG (anyone notice that question mark in my thread title? It's not there by accident) and instead focus on the coffee makers.

Here is my experience with currently available machines:

* I have tried the Bodum for a short time and I liked the results - after some tweaking.

* I have a traditional Bunn which I find is sensitive to the grind size with regard to flow through speed. In the sweet spot the coffee is nice but it can overflow the basket or run too fast if you miss the sweet spot.

* I tried the Trifecta Home at CoffeeCon this year and came away very impressed with what it can make after tweaking the variables.

* My Technivorm (full disclosure: actually a Douwe Egberts Technivorm 110v 1460 watt engineering sample) makes a nice pot of coffee and the open grounds bed and basket valve allow for some tweaking.

* My Bonavita (full disclosure - actually a Melitta Aroma Excellence 110v 1400 watt engineering sample) makes a nice cup of coffee. It is fast and for me the easiest to get right - I have made enough pour over cones to know what the grounds should look like - since the grind size and choice of filter are the only variables to tweak.

showing page 7 of 13 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Best auto drip...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Commercial Equipment
Nuova Simonelli, La Marzocco, Rancilio. Nationwide installation. Instant financing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.329541921616)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+