Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Machines and Brewing Methods
Looking for a good burr grinder for drip/press
Coffee Kids
Help folks who help folks in coffee producing nations.
coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Looking for a...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 2 first page previous page
Author Messages
Burner0000

Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Rancilio Silvia, VFA Expres...
Grinder: Macap MX/VFA N1464/Kyocera...
Drip: Manual Drip, French Press
Roaster: Behmor 1600 / Sonofresco
Posted Mon Nov 12, 2012, 8:06am
Subject: Re: Looking for a good burr grinder for drip/press

Have you had hands on with the modded Skerton?  The Lido is too expensive for a manual grinder.  For $165 the Baratza is cheaper.

I read on OE that with the mod it pushes the burrs apart just enough to be not suitable for espresso.  Soo much confusion.. I feel like I should just suck it up and go big or go home.

UPDATE:  I have found a few threads that explain that the Hario grinders will work for espresso better without modification but for course grinds a the OE skerton would be ideal  for a cheap manual grinder it's a trade off both of which will not last more than a few years.  I think in my case wither a Baratza grinder or the Lido or Pharos is my best bet.  A $100 budget will really only buy me a temporary solution.
 View Profile Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
Burner0000

Posted Mon Nov 12, 2012, 12:55pm

Baratza sells refurbished grinders.  :)

The Encore is only $85.  I may go with the encore so I can grind course.  If the Encore is capable of choking an espresso machine then I am sure I can produce great shots by adjusting tamp pressure and dose to make up for the lack of steps.  Before I make my purchase I want to find out if the Skerton wih the low bearing kit can also do the same. I may have come accross another modification involving a spring to stabalize ths shaft while grinding.

UPDATE the OE PFP Skerton does grind for espresso.

Bottom line:  
You can get the manual OE PFP Skerton for $50 + shipping.
                                     Or
You can get the Baratza Encore Refurbished for $85 + shipping.

Both can grind turkish - french press.
oktyone

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Mon Nov 12, 2012, 3:53pm

Of all the new japanese hand grinders the Porlex is probably the best option, it too has consistency issues, less than Hario/Kyocera ones though, but frankly once i stopped obsessing about it and over-analyzing every single grind, i started to enjoy my cups even more.

I've heard good things about the Zassenhaus Havana as well, not so much about the rest of their models, which suffer from having some plastic pieces prone to wear, they're all incredibly beautiful though.

A Sözen Turkish Mill, might also be a reasonable option, they have a model specifically designed for coarser grinds, i've never tried it, but if it works as well as their other models work for ultra fine to fine grinds, it should be pretty good.

Other than that, for less than 100$, your options narrow down to vintage/used hand grinders, you can have some incredibly consistent grinds, maybe even comparable to those of the Lido for considerably less money (30$-80$), you'd have to know where and what to look for though, some manufacturers to consider should be PEDE, KYM, Zassenhaus, Tre Spade and Peugeot.
 View Profile Link to this post
Burner0000

Posted Tue Nov 13, 2012, 6:47am

After doing a lot of research on the Hario Skerton the OE sells with the low bearing kit consistency is improved greatly.  I contacted Baratza and it turns out they don't ship to Canada.  I've seen videos of the Skerton choking commercial espresso machines and there’s also a stepless mod if I really want to go crazy.  This should do fine for my French Press and drip too.  I don't need perfect coffee grounds.  This can tide me over until I can afford a Baratza.
russ5679

Roaster: IRoast
Posted Wed Nov 14, 2012, 2:53pm

I decided to go with the Baratza Encore.  It arrived today and I've made 3 cups of coffee with it so far.  

Very pleased with my purchase.  It's amazing how much a good grinder improves the taste.  I was getting to much dust with my hand grinder.  This grinder is way more consistent than what I've been using.  It isn't perfectly consistent at the french press grind, but still way better than what I had.
VernS

Espresso: (strength) AeroPress
Grinder: Bodum Bistro, GSI camping
Vac Pot: Espro, Bodum, camping...
Posted Thu Nov 15, 2012, 1:24pm

For some strange reason the Bodum Bistro you mentioned early in the thread is significantly less expensive in Canada than the USA. It is $90 on amazon.ca and $120 on amazon.com. As I'm sure you noticed essentially all other grinders are the reverse. I didn't know if you were aware of this price abnormally.

In your first post you said  " This grinder will not be for espresso". The modded hand grinder you have zeroed in on may very well give you a consistent coarse grind but in general a grinder which can choke a commercial espresso machine would have me very concerned about the amount of powder in my coarse french press grind.

I have seen $55 items shipped from the USA end up at $100 after brokerage fees, taxes and shipping were eventually paid. I've been told that items shipped parcel post and valued under $40 have the best chance of avoiding brokerage fees.

I've noticed that Netphilosopher has started a detailed "Grinder assessment using sieves" of several lower cost grinders, including the Bodum Bistro. I have searched extensively for something like this, but have only been able to find it for more expensive grinders.
mrapollo

Espresso: DeLonghi lower end
Grinder: Breville BCG450XL
Drip: Melitta thermal, Aeropress,...
Roaster: iRoast 2
Posted Fri Nov 16, 2012, 6:30pm

Burner0000 Said:

I have also come across the Breville Conical Grinder.  
Click Here

-It's got 10 settings.  One less than my commercial Grindmaster.
-1/2lb yield.
-$90 on Amazon.ca

Posted November 11, 2012 link

Mine has worked well for the last 3.5 years.  8-50 g batches for drip, Aeropress, and pourover.   Easy to adjust grind, not too much static cling, even particle size.  It has many more than ten stops within its range, though I cannot say if there is an actual change in grind size when you move by a small number of clicks.
Burner0000

Posted Sun Nov 25, 2012, 11:24am

I purchased the OE PFP KYOCERA CM-50 (Skerton) modded for course grind.  Once I recieve it I will brew some espresso, pourover and press. Only costs $52  with the low bearing kit installed. :)
showing page 2 of 2 first page previous page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Looking for a...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Support Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids is a non profit charity working with farming communities around the world. Donate today!
www.coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.25462603569)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+