Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Machines and Brewing Methods
Brewing with the Bialetti Brikka 4-Cup
Home Espresso Machines
Watch videos with Gail & Kat, Rocket, Jura Capresso, Saeco, Rancilio, Quick Mill, Nespresso
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Brewing with the...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 5 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
MyronJ
MyronJ

Espresso: Gaggia Espresso
Grinder: Rocky (Zassenhaus  Mill Box...
Vac Pot: Aeropress..does it count??
Drip: Bialetti Kaliffa-needs a...
Roaster: IROAST, FZ-RR 700 (Havitush)
Posted Sat Jul 10, 2004, 2:36pm
Subject: Re: Brewing with the Bialetti Brikka 4-Cup

Sorry for joining this thread so late.

I guess I may be considered a traitor to the Brikka, which has been pretty much shelved by me since i got my Gaggia.

Yes, I do feel a bit guilty about it and must admit that, for the time being, that I got more consistent results from the Brikka than the Gaggia. My better Gaggia shots are better, more body, crema is a different quality entirely. I only did a side by side taste test once and the differences were clear even for the coffee under the crema.

I doubt the Bialetti will make a Stainless Steel model. They are gung ho on aluminum for its conductive qualities.

Stash, it would be great if you could get a two cup model to compare the results.  Attached find a picture of "crema" (quite bubbly and pate though) that lasted for a couple of minutes. [peterin out only after pver four minute. This looks like it is about 1/2" and I don't think I manged getting even 1/4" with the four cup (as you did). Maybe I will study your post and try duplicating your method.

From what I understand the relationship of air/water in the boiler is unique in the Brikka series. That is why they use a three cup body for a two cup model and a six cup body for the four. However, i was told by their R&D man that a better four cup Brikka would actually require a different sized body.

I wanted to write an article about the Brikka and have been waiting to get some feedback from Bialetti. Can't say that i see any replies from them on the horizon.

Best, Myron

MyronJ: crema 00-16.jpg
(Click for larger image)
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
stash
stash
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: ECM Botticelli II, Bialetti...
Grinder: Baratza Virtuoso, Zass 169DG
Vac Pot: Yama, Bodum eSantos
Drip: Presto Scandi
Roaster: Hottop & I-Roast
Posted Sat Jul 10, 2004, 5:48pm

brian5701 Said:

You are using the 6-cup electric model, I assume?  Do you find it easy to use?

Posted July 10, 2004 link

Yes... it is the 6 cup.  I am surprised that there are negative comments other than that it does take a little time to clean up.  But I quickly became very efficient at cleaning it and it generally does not take more than a couple of minutes to thoroughly wash and dry all parts.  I have been using it for more than a year with but one problem.  Within the first month, the seal above the electric hot plate developed a leak.  It was replaced quickly by Bodum and since then has worked flawlessly.  It definitely gets the coffee hot enough.  I have to be very careful to sip the coffee for the first minute or so to avoid burning my mouth.

Myron,

Thanks for joining in !!!  Funny... I went from a Gaggia to the Brikka.  I am still thinking of buying another inexpensive pump machine... perhaps the Innova Arc that was just reviewed.  After a year with the Gaggia, I felt like its performance was diminishing.  If I had to guess, I suspect the aluminum boiler was the culprit along with overly softened water.

It does look like the 2-cup Brikka does a better job with the crema.  If I do buy the 2-cup and/or a pump machine, I will run some comparisons and post the results.  For now I am pretty happy with the little Brikka... but variety is the spice of life !!!
 View Profile Link to this post
brokencup
brokencup

Espresso: La Spaziale S1
Grinder: Cimbali Junior, Infinity
Drip: Technivorm
Roaster: RK Drum
Posted Fri Jul 16, 2004, 4:17am

What's the deal with these moka pots, can you buy the biggest and brew less if you need to or must you size the pot to the number of cups you want?

What about that fancy Bialetti here is it as good as the one below?

Bob
 View Profile Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Link to this post
iowaboy

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Gaggia New Baby; Vev & GB...
Grinder: Preciso, Solis Maestro+
Drip: Melitta Pourover, Krups,...
Roaster: Behmor, FR8+
Posted Fri Jul 16, 2004, 8:43am

Can anyone provide a good web or mail-order source to purchase a 2-cup Brikka?  Thanks.
Paul
MyronJ
MyronJ

Espresso: Gaggia Espresso
Grinder: Rocky (Zassenhaus  Mill Box...
Vac Pot: Aeropress..does it count??
Drip: Bialetti Kaliffa-needs a...
Roaster: IROAST, FZ-RR 700 (Havitush)
Posted Tue Aug 17, 2004, 6:23am

Your query as to where you can purchase on line was left unanswered:
I might suggest http://amiganien.com.
I think they are reliable and cheaper than other sites i have seen.

best,
Myron
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
iowaboy

Espresso: Gaggia New Baby; Vev & GB...
Grinder: Preciso, Solis Maestro+
Drip: Melitta Pourover, Krups,...
Roaster: Behmor, FR8+
Posted Tue Aug 17, 2004, 7:29am

Thanks, Myron. I ordered both the 2- and 4-cup Brikkas from them. Prices were good and the service was excellent.
Le_Pamplemousse
Le_Pamplemousse
Expertise: Just starting

Posted Wed Aug 18, 2004, 10:04pm

I'm just getting into coffee. Buying my first pot was a choice between a French Press and a Bialetti. I went with the French Press....but this thread makes me want to try the little stove-top Bialetti too. I guess that'll be my second pot! (after I get my Zassenhaus grinder though!)
jrtATL
jrtATL

Espresso: Expobar Office Control
Grinder: Mazzer Jolly; Cunill...
Drip: Melitta Clarity
Roaster: Drum on a Weber grill; HG/DB
Posted Wed Aug 18, 2004, 10:09pm

The Moka Pot will likely make you want a real espresso machine that much more.  It will give you a hint of the flavor which you can develop with a pump machine.

I have always liked french press coffee (hate the sludge, though).  I think you made a wise choice getting the press as your first device.  I have always thought that a press is simple elegance.

Jeremy

"I've appeared before every court in the state.  Often as a lawyer." - Lionel Hutz, Esq.
hyacinth
hyacinth

Posted Mon Sep 20, 2004, 7:41pm

bump

"When my examination is complete, all carbon units will be reduced to data patterns."
cafedj

Espresso: Bialetti, Aeropress
Grinder: Rocky doserless
Vac Pot: Bodum
Drip: Behmor Brazen
Roaster: Counter Culture
Posted Mon Sep 20, 2004, 7:51pm

Bob - I have the Bialetti Brikka 4-cup, and it's my understanding that it only works correctly if you make the full 4-cups.  Not sure if that's true of the 6-cup.  By the way, I just measured it and my 4-cup uses about 5 oz of water.  Apparently a moka pot cup is 1.25 oz.
showing page 2 of 5 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Brewing with the...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Craft Roasted Coffee
Some days you make the coffee. Other days the coffee makes you.
bit.ly/craftroasting-ks
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.291371822357)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+