Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Machines and Brewing Methods
Best auto drip brewer on the market?
Espresso Makers
Premium stovetop espresso makers, electric moka pots, machines & accessories.
www.espressozone.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Best auto drip...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 13 last page next page
Author Messages
EricBNC
EricBNC
Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: QM Silvano, LP Stradivarius,...
Grinder: K30, Major, Preciso, Pharos,...
Vac Pot: Sunbeam C30, Bodum Santos...
Drip: Bonavita BV-1800,...
Roaster: Behmor, Melitta, Fresh...
Posted Tue Nov 13, 2012, 5:47am
Subject: Best auto drip brewer on the market?

What is the best auto drip brewer on the market? Seattle Coffee Gear sets out to find the answer by blind taste testing the Breville YouBrew, The Technivorm, The Bonavita, and the Behmor Brazen:

Click Here (www.youtube.com)

Interesting results from the gals in the Northwest.

I chew coffee beans with my teeth while gargling with 195 F water to enjoy coffee. What is this "coffee brewing" device you speak of?
 View Profile Link to this post
calblacksmith
calblacksmith
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Tue Nov 13, 2012, 7:01am
Subject: Re: Best auto drip brewer on the market?

Yes, interesting.
I have used a lot of brewers but never any of those. In the commercial end of things, MY preference is to flat bottom paper filters for drip coffee.
I wonder if they used any sort of solids meter to "calibrate" the brew or did they just give it a good guess?

The subject of "best" is a pretty big one and each person tastes differently, I think the "best we can hope for" is to just take an average of "best" from multiple sources then use that as a starting point for a personal quest of best for them.

The established guidlines to freshness, water temp, brew ratio etc, have become guidlines I think because they work.

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
EricBNC
EricBNC

Posted Tue Nov 13, 2012, 7:16am

Looks like they followed a standard recipe and let Gail's taste buds decide the winner. These guys have all the dogs in this fight for sale on their web site so this direct comparison without waffling is refreshing.

I chew coffee beans with my teeth while gargling with 195 F water to enjoy coffee. What is this "coffee brewing" device you speak of?
Soapbox

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Francis Francis x 5
Roaster: DB/HG
Posted Tue Nov 13, 2012, 7:21am

IMHO the brazen is by far the better brewer.  Nothing was mentioned on the heat settings for the brazen.  As for filters in my experience paper has worked better in controlling bloom and large doses.
onthemoors

Grinder: Zassenhaus
Drip: Bunn
Roaster: Hottop, Behmor
Posted Tue Nov 13, 2012, 7:32am

Actually Eric their test was extremely unsound in trying to compare a paper filter brew to a gold filter brew, neither is inherently better and will without hesitation have different results. At that point it's preference. To have been sound in fact you'd brew using similar filter media.

And how do you account for Gizmodo's review using same medium Technivorm v Brazen, The title : Brazen Coffee Brewer: Maybe the Best Coffee Dripped From a Machine-

"The cup from the Technivorm, long considered one of the best drip machines you can get, was not bad. But it was a bit sour compared to the bold, fresh cup from the Brazen. So, Brazen over Technivorm."

So we have two giggly women using unsound methods or a group of professional geekers to include Matt Buchanan who maintained sound test practices.

Eric, you seem to be reaching for straws here.
EricBNC
EricBNC

Posted Tue Nov 13, 2012, 7:32am

I have tried the Technivorm and the Bonavita - these brewers make a very good cup of coffee. Looks like Gail likes them too. Since they sell them they probably have the luxury few of us have - trying each brewer as it ships to see what they like the best. How many of us have almost a thousand dollars worth of drip brewers on the counter to perform a test?

onthemoors

Posted Tue Nov 13, 2012, 7:35am

EricBNC Said:

I have tried the Technivorm and the Bonavita - these brewers make a very good cup of coffee. Looks like Gail likes them too.

Posted November 13, 2012 link

Eric, again you fail to also provide the video where they like the Brazen as well. Selective editing on your part is unbecoming.
onthemoors

Posted Tue Nov 13, 2012, 7:37am

EricBNC Said:

I have tried the Technivorm and the Bonavita - these brewers make a very good cup of coffee. Looks like Gail likes them too. Since they sell them they probably have the luxury few of us have - trying each brewer as it ships to see what they like the best. How many of us have almost a thousand dollars worth of drip brewers on the counter to perform a test?

Posted November 13, 2012 link

So you'd have less of a spiker if Joe would have sent you a free unit?
EricBNC
EricBNC

Posted Tue Nov 13, 2012, 7:37am

Do you work for Brazen? Do you work for Breville, Bonavita or Technivorm? Do you have these machines to test? You act like what they determine can't possibly be true - why?

onthemoors

Posted Tue Nov 13, 2012, 7:39am

No, I just spotted you complaining sometime back on GCBC about Joe not responding to your demands and since then you've been bitchy on Behmor.
showing page 1 of 13 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Best auto drip...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Quick Mill Back in Stock
All Quick Mill Machine ready to ship. Free Ship. Silvano, Anita, Alexia, 2B, Andreja, QM67, Monza!
cupandbrew.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.292148113251)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+