Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Machines and Brewing Methods
Aerobie Aeropress
Support Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids is a non profit charity working with farming communities around the world. Donate today!
www.coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Aerobie...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 289 last page next page
Author Messages
zef81

Expertise: Pro Barista

Posted Sun Dec 11, 2005, 9:15pm
Subject: Aerobie Aeropress

So has anyone else tried this new brewer from Aerobie? I just ordered one and got it a couple days ago. I've been very pleasantly surprised...for those who don't know, it is a one-cup manual brewer that works on the same principle as the old piston-lever espresso machines. It's like a "giant syringe for coffee", as Mark Prince described it on the podcast. The best thing about it is that it takes 30 seconds to brew coffee that is comparable to a stove-top espresso or french press, and I actually prefer the taste as well. There's no sediment in the cup like french press (because it uses a paper filter) and no metallic taste like the stovetop (which also takes way longer. I'll have to experiment a bit with the proper grind, but so far about halfway between espresso and cone drip seems to work best. The instructions also say to use water at 175 degrees, but I've been using 190 to 200 degree water with no complaints from my taste buds. This thing is really pretty amazing...it accomplishes about the same thing as that Clover thing as far as a short brew time and a cup made "expressly" for each person, but it costs 30 dollars instead of 6000. If anyone else out there has tried it out, let me know your thoughts. One last thing: I actually got crema out of it today! That makes me happy.
--Zef
 View Profile Link to this post
peter_R
peter_R
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: La Pavoni Europiccola
Grinder: Solis Maestro, Baratza...
Vac Pot: Some day
Drip: Melitta
Roaster: supporting my local folks!
Posted Tue Dec 13, 2005, 11:55am
Subject: Re: Aerobie Aeropress

I got one of these AeroPresses too, and likewise, am pleasantly surprized by it.  I have so far only used it to make Americanos, and the results are a very clean cup, that tastes great.  I tried it with Andrew Barnett's (Ecco Caffe, Santa Rosa, CA) unwashed yirgacheffe, and the result was a really flavorful, smooth cup with tons of fresh ripe blueberry flavor.

The press cleans up super quickly, is portable and easy to use.  I really like it.  

The comments about temperature in the directions seemed a bit strange to me; too low based on everything I have learned.  Still need to do some experimenting with temp and grind.  I thought the same thing too...it is like a mini, very-affordable, manual Clover!
b512

Espresso: Bialetti
Grinder: Capresso Infinity
Vac Pot: Yama,Cory
Drip: Presto,KMB
Roaster: None
Posted Tue Dec 13, 2005, 1:54pm

Zef:
 Found your post on the Aeropress fascinating. One thing though--what sort of filters does it use,how available are they,and what do they cost? As your may guess,I'm thinking of the filter problem with the KMB.
                           Thanks,
                             Barry
b512

Posted Tue Dec 13, 2005, 8:17pm

b512 Said:

Zef:
 Found your post on the Aeropress fascinating. One thing though--what sort of filters does it use,how available are they,and what do they cost? As your may guess,I'm thinking of the filter problem with the KMB.
 To answer my own question, after much searching,I've learned that apparently the filters won't be available until Jan. 2006. The Aero folks say that after that date they will supply the names of retailers carrying the filters. While I like the looks of this critter,I think,for once,I'll take the "wait and see" position.
                           Thanks,
                             Barry

Posted December 13, 2005 link

peter_R
peter_R

Espresso: La Pavoni Europiccola
Grinder: Solis Maestro, Baratza...
Vac Pot: Some day
Drip: Melitta
Roaster: supporting my local folks!
Posted Tue Dec 13, 2005, 8:25pm

What was/is the filter problem with the KMB?
b512

Posted Tue Dec 13, 2005, 8:34pm

Peter:
   In my search for info. on filters,I found that the Mfg. claims that  temps.higher than 175 in this machine cause bitterness. Can't comment on the veracity of this claim. If they come through with filters that are available and not of an outrageous price,I'll find out for myself.
                               Regards,
                                 Barry
Happyboy

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Expobar Lever, Gaggia...
Grinder: Mazzer Mini, Solis Maestro
Vac Pot: Kona
Drip: French Press, KMB,...
Roaster: Behmor
Posted Wed Dec 14, 2005, 10:48am

Does anyone know where to get these?  I found them at www.coffeestuff.com, but the shipping was $15
and that's just insane.  Anyone know of any eastern US distributors?

-Christopher Robbins
 View Profile Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Link to this post
Waynes

Posted Wed Dec 14, 2005, 11:19am

Dont know what shipping is but try anyway

http://www.localsonlycoffee.com/product_p/aer01.htm
Happyboy

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Expobar Lever, Gaggia...
Grinder: Mazzer Mini, Solis Maestro
Vac Pot: Kona
Drip: French Press, KMB,...
Roaster: Behmor
Posted Wed Dec 14, 2005, 11:36am

Much better, thanks.  It's about half the amount.  I still wish I could just go into a store and buy this stuff.  I wonder why this product hasn't caught on to the major players yet (WWL, ChrisCoffee, 1stLine)?  Could make a nice gift.

-Christopher Robbins
 View Profile Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Link to this post
b512

Posted Wed Dec 14, 2005, 6:15pm

peter_R Said:

What was/is the filter problem with the KMB?

Posted December 13, 2005 link

Expensive and hard to get
showing page 1 of 289 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Aerobie...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Cafe Espresso Machines
Video reviews, nationwide installation, leasing options... Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, La Marzocco.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.283612966537)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+