Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Machines and Brewing Methods
French Press Grinder for $200 - $550
Donate to Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids works with farming communities around the world, improving lives. Donate today.
www.coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > French Press...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 3 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
Sam21

Expertise: I love coffee

Grinder: Baratza Virtuoso, LIDO,...
Vac Pot: Siphon, Aeropress, CCD
Drip: Kalita Wave, Beehouse,...
Roaster: Hottop KN-8828B-2K
Posted Wed Dec 5, 2012, 10:17am
Subject: Re: French Press Grinder for $200 - $550

I own a LIDO and a Virtuoso/Essato. Both are perfect matches for what you are looking for. Grinding with the LIDO takes an extra 30 seconds in the morning, but is more affordable. The Virtuoso on the other hand turns out a beautiful grind at a higher price. You also have to weigh the potential for failure in the electronics (as with any electronic appliance) versus the tank-quality of the LIDO.

I love waking up in the morning, pressing my Esatto's preset button, getting my 18g in the basket without thinking, and moving right to brewing. That said, one can easily grind with the LIDO while waiting for water to boil.

Either will keep you happy! I'd even venture to say that a Baratza Encore would be a fine choice as well.
 View Profile Link to this post
busteddread

Posted Wed Dec 5, 2012, 11:03am

Does the Esatto require you to store your beans in the hopper as opposed to the separate supposedly air-tight cannister I use?
jbviau
jbviau

Grinder: Preciso / LIDOs
Drip: Trifecta MB / Eva Solo...
Posted Wed Dec 5, 2012, 11:44am

I wouldn't say *require*, but it does push you in that direction. I tried single-dosing with the Esatto at one point and gave up (documented here).
dyqik

Espresso: Bezzera BZ07 PM
Grinder: Baratza Virtuoso Preciso...
Vac Pot: Cona D
Drip: Bona-Vita, CCD, Aeropress.
Roaster: Gene Cafe, Modded Poppers
Posted Wed Dec 5, 2012, 11:54am

busteddread Said:

Does the Esatto require you to store your beans in the hopper as opposed to the separate supposedly air-tight cannister I use?

Posted December 5, 2012 link

It works better if you do.  Although you could drip feed beans in while it ground, or just single dose with it set to a greater weight than you put in.  I don't know why you'd do either though.  Better to keep the hopper partially full, to get the convenience of the push button operation.

I don't think your airtight container will be doing very much if you keep opening it to get beans out though, so I'm not sure you'd see a big difference in aging between beans kept in the hopper and in a container.  The hopper does a good job of keeping breezes and the like off of the beans, although it's obviously not sealed.
redkiosk
redkiosk

Espresso: Illy Francis-Francis X1
Grinder: Baratza Preciso w/ Esatto...
Vac Pot: Someday, very intriguing!
Drip: Trifecta MB, Kalita Wave...
Roaster: A sure path to divorce!
Posted Wed Dec 5, 2012, 1:34pm

I usually store a day's worth of beans in the hopper (4-6, 12 oz cups worth brewed with a Bunn Trifecta MB). I'm pretty good at eye-balling it now, but if I come up short, the Esatto tells me how much it has ground/weighed and I can drop a few extra beans in and hit the preset button again and it will stop at the preset weight. OR, I do some quick mental math and adjust the volume of water for a slightly less cup. (this is what I usually do, when finishing off one kind of coffee and then cleaning the grinder). If I'm a little over by a few beans, it just sits there until the next morning when I dump the day's beans in the hopper.

I guess, if you were worried about sealing the beans in the hopper, you could purchase a thin "O" ring (5" dia.) and snap it on the lip of the hopper lid OR create a small plunger type device, kinda' like a tamper with a seal, to place down over the beans.

Another plus to the Baratza Preciso, and the reason I purchased mine for use with the Trifecta MB, was that it has been documented to produce the least amount of fines at the coarse settings than any of their other grinders, including the Vario.

Take care!

Jim

The pathologically precise are annoying, but right!
busteddread

Posted Wed Dec 5, 2012, 5:30pm

I grind, on average, probably around 50 grams of beans for my 1L French Press.  What kind of time and energy expenditure are required from the Lido for this amount?
jbviau
jbviau

Posted Wed Dec 5, 2012, 7:41pm

Probably just over 90 sec. and 76.324 kJ. Kidding on the latter. ;)
emradguy
emradguy
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Duetto II; Twist v2
Grinder: M Major, Macap M4 x2, VDD...
Drip: Espro presses; Aeropress
Roaster: H-B "List of Favorites"
Posted Wed Dec 5, 2012, 8:41pm

lol on the kJ!  

but, yeah, you'll have it ground faster than it takes you to heat up the water. the grinding  is not hard at all.  the first few times you use the Lido, it'll feel a little jerky and seem like a pain, but after several uses it gets much smoother and it really doesn't take all that much effort

Always remember the most important thing is what ends up in your cup!
busteddread

Posted Thu Dec 6, 2012, 4:32pm

I've just gone ahead and ordered a Virtuoso.  It's a bit of a compromise but, in my lucid moments, I realize it should accomplish what I want it to.  If I become more ambitious (e.g., espresso, but unlikely), I'll graduate to a different grinder.

I ended up being quite tempted by the Lido even though it was not a part of my original conception.  Several posters argued in a quite informed and impassioned way for its consideration.  Ultimately, I thought its capacity might be limiting if I ever had to "crank" for more than myself or adjust it for a different brewing method.  However, when my old, soon-to-be backup grinder expires, I'm leaning towards purchasing a Lido as part of my workplace and/or traveling kit.

Thanks for all the advice, including someone who, in a nice way, told me to "get a grip on reality" and someone else who introduced me to the kilojoule (could be useful to know some day).
jbviau
jbviau

Posted Thu Dec 6, 2012, 6:43pm

Nice! Enjoy. Very glad to see how willing you were/are to plunk down good $$ for a grinder.
showing page 2 of 3 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > French Press...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Support Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids is a non profit charity working with farming communities around the world. Donate today!
www.coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.286806106567)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+