Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Machines and Brewing Methods
French Press vs Aero Press
Commercial Equipment
Nuova Simonelli, La Marzocco, Rancilio. Nationwide installation. Instant financing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > French Press vs...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 4 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
CraigA
CraigA
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: PID/PressureMod 2001...
Grinder: BUNN FPG-2 DBC, Baratza...
Vac Pot: Bodum Santos manual, Yama 5...
Drip: Behmor BraZen, BUNN VPR-APS,...
Roaster: Refurb Behmor 1600, BBQ...
Posted Wed Dec 5, 2012, 2:24pm
Subject: Re: French Press vs Aero Press

roach56 Said:

That espro looks interesting. I started with a moka pot (still have it) and never could get a good cup from it,not sure if I ground too fine or what but I always got a cup that tasted burnt or had a metal taste.

Posted December 5, 2012 link

Yes, you have to keep the applied heat low & the moment it starts to come out of the spout I've heard that you should then take it off of the heat to finish/carry through without burning/getting too hot that way.

I may just give the aero press a try since the brew time is short, it'll stay hotter.

Yep, it all depends of the coffee finess/coarseness that'll determine the proper extraction time (to YOUR taste).

Never tried a vacuum but have heard they are very good.

Yes & I love the vac brewed coffee too!

Pictured below is the larger size 40 oz 2 piece filter assembly on the left & the smaller size 10 oz assembly on the right.

CraigA: composite_13547510553944_2012-12-05_18-47-34.jpg

http://twitter.com/CoffeegeekCraig
http://www.facebook.com/craig.andrews.169

Excellent coffee doesn't just happen!
 View Profile Visit website Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Contact via ICQ Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
roach56

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Wed Dec 5, 2012, 4:27pm

I've been reading feedback on the aero press and some of the negatives are the amount of grounds to water it requires. What ratio are most of you guys using and water temps.
 View Profile Link to this post
CraigA
CraigA

Posted Thu Dec 6, 2012, 6:39am

Hi Mike,
It really boils down (pun intended! ;)) to the strength of the cup that you prefer for your own taste.

I don't brew anywhere near the recommended two 14 gram scoop (they show/say a drip grind) provided & suggested in the Aeropress instructions for a specified 10 oz mug. I don't even brew with one scoop, I like 11 or 12 grams for my happens to be 10 oz mug & I use 180 - 185F strike/brew temp water in two additions.

View Profile Visit website Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Contact via ICQ Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
jpender
jpender
Expertise: I like coffee

Grinder: OE LIDO
Vac Pot: S/S Moka Pot
Drip: Aeropress
Posted Thu Dec 6, 2012, 12:17pm

roach56 Said:

I always prewarm my cup and have been warming my cream also.

You can prewarm the Aeropress too. Or put your cup of coffee in the microwave for a few seconds.

This morning I plopped a thermometer into my freshly brewed cup (which probably cooled it ia bit) and it registered 72C.
jpender
jpender

Posted Thu Dec 6, 2012, 12:26pm

roach56 Said:

I've been reading feedback on the aero press and some of the negatives are the amount of grounds to water it requires. What ratio are most of you guys using and water temps.

It's true in general that immersion brewing requires more coffee for a given strength than drip coffee since good coffee is trapped in the grounds. This effect is exacerbated as the strength goes up (more grounds and stronger trapped coffee). So in that sense the Aeropress, with it's small volume, isn't the most efficient brewer, especially if you brew strong with the intention to dilute afterwards to a lower strength.
Netphilosopher

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Thu Dec 6, 2012, 2:33pm
Subject: .

CoffeeRoastersClub
CoffeeRoastersClub
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Vintage La Pavoni Lever...
Grinder: Breville Smartgrind,...
Vac Pot: Vintage Silex, Nicro...
Drip: Technivorm Moccamaster...
Roaster: javaPRO-CRC AIR Fluid Bed...
Posted Thu Dec 6, 2012, 3:00pm

roach56 Said:

I drink one to two small 5-6 oz. cups in the morning. Been doing pour overs for last couple years. Once in a while I'll make americanos with my lever. I like my coffee hot as I use half&half in it. I have a cheap bonjour FP but my coffee is not hot enough after 4 minute extraction. I was looking at the aero press but since it's non insulated, think I may have the same problem. Any suggestions?

Quite simply, you do not do 4 minute wait times till extraction with the aeropress.  You simply put in the just off boil water and stir briskly for 30 seconds then extract.  That is how I do it, and I believe that my 30 seconds are longer than the manufacturers suggested stir time.

Len

"Coffee leads men to trifle away their time, scald their chops, and spend their money, all for a little base, black, thick, nasty, bitter, stinking nauseous puddle water." ~The Women's Petition Against Coffee, 1674

www.CoffeeRoastersClub.com     www.javaPRO-CRC.com     www.KaffeeFrisch.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
Netphilosopher

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Thu Dec 6, 2012, 3:23pm
Subject: .

CraigA
CraigA

Posted Thu Dec 6, 2012, 3:38pm

Here's the Aerobie Aeropress brewing instructions:

1  Put two AeroPress scoops of fine-drip grind coffee into the chamber.

2  Pour hot water slowly into the chamber up to the number 2.
   Use 175F (80C)  water for the very best taste.

3  Mix the water and coffee with the stirrer for about 10 seconds.

4  Wet the rubber seal and insert the plunger into the chamber.
   Gently press down about a quarter of an inch and maintain that pressure for about 20 to 30 seconds until the plunger bottoms on the coffee.
   Gentle pressure is the key to easy AeroPressing.

Here's the brewing instructions for the Able Brewing Equipment Inc Regular disk:       Here's the brewing instructions for the Able Brewing Equipment Inc Fine disk:

1  Put in 18g of fresh coffee (medium grind).                                                                 1  In inverted position, put in 22g of fresh coffee (medium-fine grind).

2  Pour in 220ml of 200F water slowly for 30 seconds.                                                   2  Pour in 100ml of 200F water. Stir 3-4 times.

3  Wait 50 seconds.                                                                                                 3  Pour 100ml of water. Steep for  1.00 minute.

4  Stir gently for 10 seconds.                                                                                     4  Lock filter cap w/disk fine on press.

5  Plunge slowly for 40 seconds & enjoy your coffee.                                                      5  Flip the press onto mug.Press for 15 seconds. Stopping when you hear the "hiss".

6  Add 3-4 oz of water post brew into your mug. (Adjust to taste).

Here's the brewing instructions for the Kaffeologie S disk:

1  Insert S filter mesh side up.

2  Add coffee Drip Grind 2 Tbsp (12g).

3  Add hot water. 200F/94C. Fill Aeropress (200g).

4  Brew & enjoy. Stir twice. Press at 3.00 minutes.

jpender
jpender

Posted Thu Dec 6, 2012, 3:53pm

I haven't brewed with a French press but maybe somebody here can answer this: Do the solids that you typically get with a French press make the coffee seem stronger than a cup of coffee of the same strength that is filtered through paper? I certainly notice a difference when switching between Aeropress (paper filters) and moka coffee (noticable solids). The Aeropress coffee is both cleaner and yet somehow less satisfying. I think it's one (of several) reasons why I use more coffee in an Aeropress than in a moka pot.

I wonder if French press is similar in this regard. And if so, would someone who is accustomed to that be inclined to updose in an Aeropress?
showing page 2 of 4 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > French Press vs...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Barista Tools
Large selection of tampers, pitchers, milk frothers and much more!
www.espressozone.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.328116178513)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+