Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Machines and Brewing Methods
Extractmojo alternatives?
Commercial Equipment
Nuova Simonelli, La Marzocco, Rancilio. Nationwide installation. Instant financing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Extractmojo...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
Pfunk

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Wed Dec 5, 2012, 4:51pm
Subject: Extractmojo alternatives?

Are there more affordable alternatives to extractmojo out there for those who want to test their coffee extraction at home?  I'm interested in testing to dial in my technique and grind with various brew methods but I can't justify the $500 price tag for this purpose.

I got a cheapo Brix handheld refractometer but it's a bit of a pain to use and readings seem to be inaccurate to me.
 View Profile Link to this post
GlennV

Posted Wed Dec 5, 2012, 5:15pm
Subject: Re: Extractmojo alternatives?

I don't think there are, I'm afraid. The cheaper Brix handhelds, both analogue and digital, are well below the accuracy required to give anything remotely useful for coffee (and I have tried both). The vst units really are way ahead of anything else in the same price range in terms of accuracy - and you need every bit of that accuracy to get useful results.
Netphilosopher

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Thu Dec 6, 2012, 5:12am
Subject: .

Pfunk

Posted Fri Dec 7, 2012, 3:16pm

Hmmm, looks like I'll have to save up for the real deal.  It would be a cool gadget to have for sure but I think $500 would be better spent on a new roaster.

In the meantime I think I need to do some brewing experiments to learn how to taste under extraction vs over extraction, sour vs bitter.
rhodes553

Espresso: Moka Pot
Grinder: Solis Maestro Plus
Drip: Melitta Pour-Over
Roaster: D'Amico Foods, Brooklyn
Posted Wed Feb 27, 2013, 6:39pm

So I bit the bullet and ordered one of the VST Lab Coffee II refractometers yesterday. I've been using the MoJoToGo iPhone app for the last few weeks to guide my brewing ratios but the frustration of not being able to measure the resulting TDS finally drove me to order the device. For now, I've got a spreadsheet I'll be using to track and calculate TDS, extraction, LRR, CBR, etc. The device arrives tomorrow -- I can't wait!
Bbahia
Bbahia

Posted Mon Nov 18, 2013, 7:06am

Hi rhodes553
I just bought a VST lab coffee and the datas i'm getting are bizarre.
For example:
i use 5.6g of ground coffee to get 42g (or ml) of espresso beverage and when i test it, the refractometer displays 2.6 are the datas right?
Can you please tell me what is LLR and the difference between LLR-Drip, LLR immerson and LLR espresso.
Thank you
squaremile

Posted Tue Nov 19, 2013, 12:46am

Hey, just email the VST people, they will tell you. Plus make sure you read the manual, it's got tons of info.
jpender
jpender
Expertise: I like coffee

Grinder: OE LIDO
Vac Pot: S/S Moka Pot
Drip: Aeropress
Posted Tue Nov 19, 2013, 10:32am

Bbahia Said:

i use 5.6g of ground coffee to get 42g (or ml) of espresso beverage and when i test it, the refractometer displays 2.6 are the datas right?

Posted November 18, 2013 link

That sounds right.

Bbahia Said:

Can you please tell me what is LLR and the difference between LLR-Drip, LLR immerson and LLR espresso.

Posted November 18, 2013 link

I don't have the user manual but my understanding is that those terms refer to the ratio of the weight of liquid retained in the grounds to the weight of the dose for those three classes of brewing methods.
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Extractmojo...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Stefano's Espresso Care
Repair - Parts - Sales
Factory Authorized &
Trained Technician
www.espressocare.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.270719051361)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+