Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Machines and Brewing Methods
Impulse buy
Donate to Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids works with farming communities around the world, improving lives. Donate today.
www.coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Impulse buy  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 5 last page next page
Author Messages
Netphilosopher

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Tue Jun 26, 2012, 4:17am
Subject: Impulse buy

View Profile Link to this post
calblacksmith
calblacksmith
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Tue Jun 26, 2012, 5:55am
Subject: Re: Crap - couldn't avoid impulse buy!

Steve, sea trials as you are in the Navy or just giving the new moka pot a good workout?
There is nothing wrong with Moka pots but I have not used mine in ......  OH, about 30 years!

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
Netphilosopher

Posted Tue Jun 26, 2012, 6:23am
Subject: ...

steprock
steprock
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Moka pot, Bellman CXE-25,...
Posted Tue Jun 26, 2012, 7:37am

I begged my darlin to buy me a moka pot for Christmas a couple of years back. What do you know, she did!

While I am more likely to use a french press, the bialetti moka pot makes this absurdly strong brew that is close to espresso and is a very sturdily-built product.

The one thing that I don't like about it is that you have to fill it all the way with grounds - there's not a way to make a smaller quantity. It makes about a mug full of super-strong coffee, so you either like to be wired or you'll only want to drink half of it at a time.

I put mine on the stove top at medium or medium/high setting and it gets rolling in about 5 minutes. If it takes too long, just crank up the heat.

Let us know how you like it!

For anyone who is OK with a used product, you can spot them in thrift stores often enough if you troll around. I think people get them for gifts and are then wondering what the heck it is, and why their Folgers doesn't taste good in it.

(Steprock, aka, new guy)
Netphilosopher

Posted Sun Jul 1, 2012, 12:02pm

frankthecrank

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Sun Jul 1, 2012, 6:07pm

Netphilosopher Said:

And after a handful of brews, I've decided to take it back.

It just isn't the brew method for me.  It's as much of a pain to clean as a siphon brewer.  Calculating brew ratio is too complicated.  There's coffee water left in the bottom when the brewing is complete (because the water at the end has too much air in it and can carry some of the grounds back down into the brewing water). If you don't use a paper filter, fines can make their way into the final brew.  It's difficult to be consistent and for me is really imprecise.  

Waiting at the end is a decent coffee if you stumble on the right setup, otherwise it's overextraction city.  Espresso - it sho' ain't.  I don't prefer coffee at high strength (and part of the reason I'm just not into espresso), so I end up diluting to normal strength.

Putting a paper disc filter at the bottom and the top helps - it prevents some of the back draw of grounds down into the lower chamber, and prevents a lot of the fines from getting up into the produced coffee, but it isn't completely clear.

It is quaint, and has a certain allure, and when you get the brew right, it's as good as a high brew ratio press pot.  But just "as good as".  My wife didn't like any of the produced coffee, but I got a couple of brews that worked.

It's like finally getting a Fiat 124 Spyder running well - at the end you've got a well-running... Fiat 124 Spyder.

LOL

Maybe one day, when I'm bored and have nothing else to investigate, I'll return to the Moka pot, but for now I'll run my other brew methods to ground and fully understand them.  I don't think the next revolutionary brew method will be based on the Moka pot - but my short time with the little device was fun anyways.

Posted July 1, 2012 link

Wow, I am in a state of shock over these comments. First of all, with practice that trusty ol' moka pot can give you the brew of your life. It just takes experience. For example an americano made with it is spectacular, as well as using it for an espresso substitute. It is an awesome brew method used by millions in Europe as well as here in the US. Much different than a pourover brew. Keep at it and you may become an addict like me. Also, the occasional cuban coffee requires it.
Netphilosopher

Posted Sun Jul 1, 2012, 9:13pm

jpender
jpender
Expertise: I like coffee

Grinder: OE LIDO
Vac Pot: S/S Moka Pot
Drip: Aeropress
Posted Mon Jul 2, 2012, 12:27pm

I'm disappointed to read this. I was looking forward with anticipation to your usual exhaustive exploration of a brew method. But instead of "sea trials" you gave up after only a handful of brews? It seems out of character somehow.

Oh well, I guess stovetop isn't for everybody.
IMAWriter
IMAWriter
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Bezzera Strega
Grinder: Forte, OE Pharos,...
Vac Pot: Adcraft SS, Yama 8 cup
Drip: Brazen, Kalita, Chemex,...
Roaster: Behmor 1600, CO/UFO combo
Posted Mon Jul 2, 2012, 1:22pm

Netphilosopher Said:

It's like finally getting a Fiat 124 Spyder running well - at the end you've got a well-running... Fiat 124 Spyder.

Posted July 1, 2012 link

I LOVED my 124 rag top. I drove it 5-6 times from Dallas to Las Vegas and back.
It belied it's "F-I-A-T...Fix It Again Tony" image. At least for me.

The moka pot, on the other hand?
Why, when an AeroPress does it so much better?

Rob J (LMWDP #187)
My Music Production web site:
www.robertjason.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
jpender
jpender
Expertise: I like coffee

Grinder: OE LIDO
Vac Pot: S/S Moka Pot
Drip: Aeropress
Posted Mon Jul 2, 2012, 1:43pm

IMAWriter Said:

The moka pot, on the other hand?
Why, when an AeroPress does it so much better?

Posted July 2, 2012 link

Aeropress coffee isn't anything like moka coffee.
Each method produces coffee with qualities that the other lacks.
showing page 1 of 5 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Impulse buy  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Support Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids is a non profit charity working with farming communities around the world. Donate today!
www.coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.299664020538)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+