Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Machines and Brewing Methods
Brewing LARGE volume pour-over...help with parameters.
Stefano's Espresso Care
Repair - Parts - Sales
Factory Authorized &
Trained Technician
www.espressocare.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Brewing LARGE...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
EvanOz85
EvanOz85
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: La Spaziale Mini Vivaldi II
Grinder: Baratza Vario and Preciso
Vac Pot: Bodum Santos, Yama 5-cup
Drip: Chemex, Kone 3, Kalita Wave,...
Roaster: Hottop B, Behmor 1600
Posted Thu Dec 13, 2012, 2:10pm
Subject: Brewing LARGE volume pour-over...help with parameters.

Hey guys. I volunteered to make fresh coffee for my family's Christmas get together this year and I have some questions about brewing large volumes using pour-over.

I'm going to be brewing into 2 liter vacuum carafes. Two liters of water, and about 120 grams of coffee. I'm going to use my #6 size Cilio cone which should be able to handle that capacity.

My problem is that the Buono kettle only holds a max of 1.2 liters, and I'm not going to be in a position where I can refill the kettle mid-brew. Since I'm brewing such a large amount, can I just ditch the pouring kettle and use my Cuisinart PerfecTemp kettle instead? From what I understand, pouring technique isn't too important for very large volumes. The kettle has a listed 1.7L capacity but it can easily hold 2L when filled to the top.

Also, roughly how long should the brew time be? I've never made large amounts like this, so I'm pretty much in the dark.

Thanks!
 View Profile Link to this post
yakster
yakster

Espresso: Gaggia Factory / La Peppina...
Grinder: Vario / Kyocera
Vac Pot: Yama 8 + Pyrex Lox-in Rod
Drip: Brazen / Kalita / Chemex /...
Roaster: Behmor
Posted Thu Dec 13, 2012, 4:57pm
Subject: Re: Brewing LARGE volume pour-over...help with parameters.

I would bloom the coffee as best you can and then pour four - five minutes worth of water through the Cilo cone to extract the coffee.  Maintaining a good pour though the grounds for this time should get you a good extraction and you can bypass the filter cone and pour the rest of the brew water into the pot to make up the proper volume of water.  Just make sure to allow the coffee to mix a bit.

Pouring all the water through the coffee will over-extract the grounds and you'll end up sacrificing the quality of the coffee.

I wonder if it's worth a two-step process, filling up the cone with 60 grams of coffee and pouring one liter of brew water through that for four to five minutes, and bypassing the rest of the liter water into the pot and then brew another 60 grams of coffee with one liter of water with a bypass after four - five minutes.  It depends on how much the cone holds... you don't want coffee grounds spilling over the top of the filter cone during the bloom if the bed is too high.

How much coffee do you normally brew in the cone?

These are just suggestions, but should work out.  Just have lots of hot water on hand.

-Chris

LMWDP # 272
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
wabbitt
wabbitt
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: stovetop pots,aeropress
Grinder: skerton, SoloGrind
Drip: melitta cone, chemex
Posted Fri Dec 14, 2012, 8:03pm

Sorry, I'm not doing the math.  I don't actually know how much coffee we're talking about.  Is that more than a 12-cup pot of coffee?

Hot water doesn't have to be boiled in the  kettle.  Assuming an immaculately clean kitchen, the advantage is in the controlled pour.  If my kettle weren't big enough, I'd boil water in a pot big enough for all the water (plus extra to pre-warm cups & kettles) and transfer it to the kettle for pouring via a ladle or smaller pot.  While pouring, I'd keep the heat on the water to keep it at temperature.

Another method is to bring your water to a boil in a pot on the stove.  Then take it off the heat and dump your grounds into the water.  Agitate until you start start ladling through your filter.  I say start at 3 minutes because it's going to take several more minutes to filter all that coffee.  By the time you finish, the last of the coffee will have been steeping for a few minutes more.  Again, I'm assuming that you've worked out the quantities of water & coffee to get the concentration you want.
oktyone

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Sun Dec 16, 2012, 10:50pm

I would just brew multiple batches of whatever pourover method/technique you're comfortable with and consistent enough onto the same carafe..temp shouldn't be an issue since you're using a vacuum carafe, but i'd even say a well preheated glass one work fine for 3-4 3min. batches. Just a word on vacuum carafes, try to serve the coffee as quickly as possible, taste changes considerably even if temp. remains stable after a while.
EvanOz85
EvanOz85

Espresso: La Spaziale Mini Vivaldi II
Grinder: Baratza Vario and Preciso
Vac Pot: Bodum Santos, Yama 5-cup
Drip: Chemex, Kone 3, Kalita Wave,...
Roaster: Hottop B, Behmor 1600
Posted Fri Dec 21, 2012, 11:17am

Sorry I took so long to reply..I just bought my first espresso machine and it's been consuming my life.

Thanks for all the replies guys.

As to doing a bypass brew...what would be wrong with simply grinding coarse enough that all the water flows through the grounds in 5-6 minutes? How would that over-extract?
yakster
yakster

Espresso: Gaggia Factory / La Peppina...
Grinder: Vario / Kyocera
Vac Pot: Yama 8 + Pyrex Lox-in Rod
Drip: Brazen / Kalita / Chemex /...
Roaster: Behmor
Posted Fri Dec 21, 2012, 5:05pm

If you can pour all the water through in that time, there's nothing wrong with that.  I couldn't manage it with a Chemex on the coarsest grind on my Vario, but that's not very coarse since it's calibrated for espresso.

Just pour and bypass whatever's left... if there's nothing left then no reason to bypass, but you should keep an eye on your pour time to see if it looks like it's going to take too long.

Most professional batch brewers have a bypass setting and you program it for percent bypass, it's very common when making large batches.

-Chris

LMWDP # 272
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Brewing LARGE...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Learn @seattlecoffeegear
Learn all about coffee, watch videos, read how-to articles.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.282269001007)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+