Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Machines and Brewing Methods
Guide a novice to a proper grinder
Cafe Espresso Machines
Video reviews, nationwide installation, leasing options... Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, La Marzocco.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Guide a novice...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
mkeller234

Expertise: I like coffee

Posted Thu Dec 27, 2012, 12:53am
Subject: Guide a novice to a proper grinder

I know this subject has been done to death, and believe me, I have done a lot of reading.  After all of this, my brain is swimming.

Just a little background info:
I'm not new to coffee, I am new to caring about my coffee.  I started with a Bodum Chambord press, now I need a grinder.  My first instinct was to run out to target and get one of those ubiquitous blade grinders... after a bit of research, I am glad that I did not.  I like the idea of simple methods producing great things.  I've really enjoyed dipping into the world of coffee, it's much larger than I thought.  I can see myself trying other methods someday, like Chemex, Aeropress or maybe Vacuum.  I'm right up the street from a nice place called Muggswigz Coffee and tea, I believe a few of the employees have posted here once or twice.

It seems that achieving a consistent, coarse grind is not as easy as I initially thought.  My budget started in the basement and has steadily risen after reading many reviews.  I've read about and considered Hario Skerton, Porlex tall, Baratza Encore and even vintage grinders, like a Zassenhaus.  At the moment, I am nearly set on an Orphan Espresso Lido ($165.00).  That represents the top end of my budget.  I am ok with spending that money if the grinder lives up to it's reputation.  My main question, is there another grinder in that price range that can outclass the Lido?  I don't mind the manual grinding at all.

So, convenience aside, within a $170.00 budget, which grinder produces a superior grind specifically for a French press?  That is a lot of money to me and I want to be very thorough before pulling the trigger.
 View Profile Link to this post
calblacksmith
calblacksmith
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Thu Dec 27, 2012, 10:41am
Subject: Re: Guide a novice to a proper grinder

Click Here (www.baratza.com)
This is a good grinder for all but espresso

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
mkeller234

Posted Thu Dec 27, 2012, 1:13pm

]

calblacksmith Said:

Click Here (www.baratza.com)
This is a good grinder for all but espresso

Posted December 27, 2012 link

Hi calblacksmith, thank you for the reply.  The Baratza Encore that you posted is one of the grinders that I listed and considered.  My main question about the Baratza, is the grind quality inferior or superior compared to the OE Lido?  I'm not concerned with the convenience of electricity, i'm just looking to get the best results that I can afford.  In reading, that seems to be the argument against the Baratza.

Do you personally own a Baratza Encore?
emradguy
emradguy

Espresso: Duetto II; Twist v2
Grinder: M Major, 2 Macap M4s, OE...
Drip: Espro presses; Aeropress
Roaster: H-B "List of Favorites"
Posted Thu Dec 27, 2012, 1:18pm

I own a Lido.  I have not used an Encore, but I do own a Solis 166, which is basically a Maestro (or pretty darn close to it).  The Lido is very, very far superior, as in...in a different league.  I would equate it more to my Macap M4 in grind quality and consistency.  I've read reviews that rate it on par with a Mazzer Mini (which is about on par with my Macap) for espresso grind.  Now, I haven't used the Lido for espresso.  Rather, I've used it exclusively for "press" brews (which means; standard french press, Aeropress and Espro press).  Lido is also good for travel (an added bonus).

Always remember the most important thing is what ends up in your cup!
mkeller234

Posted Thu Dec 27, 2012, 2:20pm

Ah, that is what I was hoping to hear!  I had to look up what an Macap M4 was, clearly that one is out of my price range.  However, it does help reassure me about the quality of the LIDO.  Like I said, I assumed that was the case,but 180 dollars for a grinder is SCARY territory to me.  Just two weeks ago I would have said my grinder budget was about 25 dollars.  Somehow, I have convinced myself to splurge.... so I hope it pays off with great coffee.

As of this afternoon, I now have enough money for the purchase.  I've made a couple small sales in my other hobby (bicycles) to fund my new interest.

Thank you for the very helpful response.  It really helps knowing that you actually own and use both machines.
mkeller234

Posted Thu Dec 27, 2012, 7:51pm

I attempted to buy the OE Lido today and found that they are closed for the holidays.  That makes sense.  I'll just have to exercise a bit of patience, but I am really excited.  Maybe i'll raise some funds for a scale and bean storage.  Any suggestions on either of those two items?
emradguy
emradguy

Espresso: Duetto II; Twist v2
Grinder: M Major, 2 Macap M4s, OE...
Drip: Espro presses; Aeropress
Roaster: H-B "List of Favorites"
Posted Fri Dec 28, 2012, 1:23pm

www.oldwillknottscales.com  I like the Sohnes, but there are other good brands. Many styles to choose from. Make sure resolution is to 0.1g

I store in Ball mason jars, the 4 oz jars hold about 45g beans (about 2 single serve doses in an Aeropress or small Espro press). I use 4 oz, 8 oz and 16 oz jars - depending on where the beans will be used.

Always remember the most important thing is what ends up in your cup!
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Guide a novice...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Barista Tools
Large selection of tampers, pitchers, milk frothers and much more!
www.espressozone.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.254473924637)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+