Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Machines and Brewing Methods
Yama 5 c pot not compatible with the housing/filter for 8c version? Bodum 34oz?
Great Espresso at Home
Curated selection of the best machines from La Spaziale, Izzo, Quick Mill, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Yama 5 c pot not...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
VKirby

Expertise: I like coffee

Posted Sat Dec 29, 2012, 11:05am
Subject: Yama 5 c pot not compatible with the housing/filter for 8c version? Bodum 34oz?

Hey I broke my yama vacuum pot after a year of daily use.  The same 8 cup version is temporarily unavailable on amazon.  I used a metal mesh filter setup with it, but without the metal mesh inside (3" flat circle paper inside its housing instead).  This setup will not be compatible with the 5 cup version right?

What about if I splurged on one of the bodum pots instead, the 34oz, would it work with that screw together metal sandwich + paper filter discs, or are they all too different shapes?

I've temporarily gone back to my auto dripper, & hadn't realized how attached I'd gotten to how the vacuum pot brews until it broke.  I'm tempted to get a bonavita & see if it satisfies instead.  I knew it was just a matter of time before I broke that top, don't want to break any more, & I really like the looks of the bv.
 View Profile Link to this post

Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: Machine now fixed ;o)
Grinder: None
Vac Pot: None
Drip: None
Roaster: None
Posted Sat Dec 29, 2012, 3:24pm
Subject: Yama 5 c pot not compatible with the housing/filter for 8c version? Bodum 34oz?

The bonavita is less likely to get damaged, although if you get the vacuum pot version you do need to be a bit careful with the inner glass liner.

The brew it makes is not quite the same as a vacuum pot but still very good.

I have the original European Melitta version of the Bonavita and several vacuum pots (some would say too many) including a couple of Bodums.

Presumably you use the paper filter because it gives a very clean cup.  Haven't ever used one in a Bodum vacuum pot, as I think the proper Bodum filter does a very good job despite what you may read on here: inevitably it won't be as "clean" as a paper filter.  

However, I just tried, and I can tell you that the 60mm metal disc and cloth type filter as supplied for Hario 5 cup pots does fit a Bodum. The base of the Bodum top globe is quite flat, with only a very shallow curve, so I'd guess a wider diameter filter would work too if that is the setup you have.  

I'm fairly sure you can get 60mm paper filter holders and papers anyway if necessary.

PS - can't you get replacement glass for Yama brewers ?  (a question, not an assertion)
VKirby

Posted Sun Dec 30, 2012, 8:54am

PS - can't you get replacement glass for Yama brewers ?  (a question, not an assertion)

Yes, just not for much less than the entire pot, & i've already given my unbroken lower away to a friend who coincidentally broke hers recently too.  So I'm free to start entirely from scratch, except for that filter.  For some reason it's easier to justify trying an entirely different pot, even if it costs more, than to rebuy the same, especially if my filter doesn't work with it & I have to rebuy a slightly different version of that as well (apparently the 8c of that metal sandwich uses a longer chain than the version of it made for the 5c, is at least one difference).  I've also read on here the bodum vacuum pots are much better than the yamas, somehow one member couldn't make good coffee with the yama but excelent results with the bodum, if it's in the shape or quality of the glass, filter setup, but they have me curious how much better it could get.  Maybe not for me, if like you say the key to what I liked with mine is the paper filter.  Thanks for the info.

Anyway the same 8c yama is supposed to be back in stock next month.  I'll just do that again if I haven't talked myself into a bonavita in the meantime.  It would be really nice to go to an automatic just for cleanup purposes, which has been my only nitpick with using the vacuum pot on a daily basis the past year, but not if it's going to sacrifice the end result I'm used to.

The weirdest part is not too long ago I dropped the upper, standing up all the way the kitchen floor, and amazingly it DIDN't Break from that.  Then when it just tipped over & tinked the edge of the stove a few weeks later, it shattered.
VKirby

Posted Sun Dec 30, 2012, 9:03am

NTM the next time I broke it, it would be an $80 mistake instead of a $24 mistake (well now the yama 8c is back to over $40 shipped, making it harder to justify rebuying that one & not upgrading).

So long as the bonavita is at least CLOSER to what I've been getting out of the vacuum pot than it is to what comes out of the cheap drip brewer I've reverted to, I'd just go with that.
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Yama 5 c pot not...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Rancilio Silvia - How to
Step by step guide for easy brewing and steaming with the Rancilio Silvia
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.240145921707)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+