Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Machines and Brewing Methods
SwissGold
Cafe Espresso Machines
Video reviews, nationwide installation, leasing options... Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, La Marzocco.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > SwissGold  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
bendavenport

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Rancilio Silvia
Grinder: Hario Slim Mill (for the...
Drip: Hario V60
Roaster: West Bend Poppery II
Posted Tue Dec 25, 2012, 12:00pm
Subject: SwissGold

While I was in Portland,OR I ran into a café/roaster called Courier that's downtown.  I'm sure people from the area know it.  They brew their coffee using swissgold filters instead of paper filters for a few reasons (waste, lack of paper taste, lets more oils through, fits in the cup so no need for a filtercone).  Now, I have been testing different pour over methods (v60 and bonmac).  I like how the bonmac allows the coffee to extract a little bit longer, but I'm really looking for something in between the two.  And, even if the swissgold isn't it, I think it would be fun to mess around with it anyway.  

So, the question becomes, which one should I get?
Courier themselves use the KF-4, but that seems like it might be a little big for a single cup click here .  They say that this shape is "key" because it fits in the cup well.  

There's also the kf-2 which is a bit smaller but seems to be the same basic shape click here.  I'm not sure if the sides of it fit into a cup quite as well, but then again I don't own it.

and

The KF-300 which is made for a single cup click here but has an entirely different shape.

Now, I have yet to use any, but my experience using 1 (12 oz) cup with about 20g would be a little small for some of these larger filters.  Especially if I wanted to make a smaller 8oz cup (about 12 g), it would be a bit too small.

So, if anyone has experience making pour overs with any of these swissgold brewers as pour overs, please let me know.

Thanks!
-ben d
 View Profile Link to this post
kinbote

Grinder: Vario
Drip: Technivorm, Kone
Posted Mon Dec 31, 2012, 10:08am
Subject: Re: SwissGold

I use the K4 for pour over (with a Cilio #4 ceramic dripper). Fits pretty well, but I usually go with a pre-soaked paper filter because it adheres so well to the dripper.

And not to complicate things, but here's a cool looking filter that I saw on Clive Coffee. Good luck!
EricBNC
EricBNC
Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: QM Silvano, LP Stradivarius,...
Grinder: K30, Major, Preciso, Pharos,...
Vac Pot: Sunbeam C30, Bodum Santos...
Drip: Bonavita BV-1800,...
Roaster: Behmor, Melitta, Fresh...
Posted Mon Dec 31, 2012, 3:28pm

I think that Frieling (the company who's filter is in the Clive Coffee link above) owns SwissGold but doesn't use the name here in North America any longer.

I chew coffee beans with my teeth while gargling with 195 F water to enjoy coffee. What is this "coffee brewing" device you speak of?
Taryl

Grinder: OE Lido no. 557
Vac Pot: Bodum French Press, Bialetti...
Drip: Swissgold KF300
Posted Sun Jan 20, 2013, 6:31pm

I use a KF-300 and while it can be a little finicky, it is perfectly acceptable once you get the grind dialed in.  I grind somewhat courser than normal drip to get a solid cup with about a 3 minute drip time through the water sleeve.  Too fine and it clogs, too course and it runs through and produces a bitter cup.  But once I figured out the right grind zone it has been pretty smooth sailing on a variety of beans (Kenyan, Guatamalan, decaf blends, etc).

I have some Swissgold tea filters as well and like them very much, very little silt/fines from all their products.  But the pourover device definitely has a steeper learning curve than anything else I own for hot beverages!
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > SwissGold  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Commercial Equipment
Nuova Simonelli, La Marzocco, Rancilio. Nationwide installation. Instant financing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.207930088043)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+