Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Machines and Brewing Methods
Steaming milk with the Bellman CX25 stovetop
Cafe Solutions
Commercial sales and service, nationwide installation, equipment leasing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Steaming milk...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
Presse

Expertise: Pro Barista

Posted Tue Jan 1, 2013, 12:01pm
Subject: Steaming milk with the Bellman CX25 stovetop

Hi everyone -

I've recently acquired a new Bellman CX25 stovetop and and having a bit of difficulty with it and since it seems a few people on this community have this machine I thought I'd see if anyone could give me some tips.

The 'espresso' is pretty weak but I personally prefer my coffee quite weak so it's not a problem for me. The problem I am having is with the steam wand... I am not getting good strong steam out of it and I am unsure if I am doing something wrong or if my expectations are too high (I am used to working with a commercial machine as I work at a coffee shop.)

I let the pressure build up for about 5-10 minutes after the coffee is done brewing, before I try the wand. I get a thin stream of steam at first that quickly turns into a rather weak stream of hot air. I can't get any kind of spin going in the milk at all.

I am a bit nervous about letting the pressure build up for too long as the manual mentioned something about not letting it build for more than 10-12 minutes. But if the pressure gets too high, theoretically it would just come out the safety valve right?

Anyone else use the bellman to steam milk? How long do you let the pressure build up? Does it give out proper steam or mostly air? Can I get this strong enough to give my milk a good thorough spinning?

Thanks for any advice!
-Nicole
 View Profile Link to this post
Lee_M
Lee_M
Expertise: I live coffee

Grinder: Baratza Encore
Drip: V60
Roaster: Popper
Posted Tue Jan 1, 2013, 5:47pm
Subject: Re: Steaming milk with the Bellman CX25 stovetop

I just got one of the Bellman stand-alone steamers (50SS), which I assume acts similarly. I'm still working with it, but here are some things I've found to help.

1. Only fill it up 1/3 of the way. This will speed up the process.
  2. Steam a small amount of milk at a time. Try a 12 oz pitcher filled halfway. This way you won't have to wait so long for the milk to heat up, and should make it easier to whirlpool.
  3. Be patient. As long as the top is screwed on tight, you can safely wait until the safety valve starts going off to achieve maximum steam pressure.
  4. Steam gently. Since it takes so long to heat up the milk, it's easy to over aerate. Don't push it.

It's not going to act like a commercial machine (no 3 hole tip, for one thing), but you should be able to achieve a reasonable whirlpool with some practice.
Presse

Expertise: Pro Barista

Posted Wed Jan 2, 2013, 9:45am

Thanks for the advice Lee!

I followed your tips as well as boiling the water in a kettle before putting in into the Bellman, and am having more success. If I leave it to build pressure for about 30 minutes I get pretty decent pressure. The safety valve hasn't gone off on me yet though so I might even push it a bit more in my future experimenting. I found it helps to move the pitcher manually a bit now and again to encourage a better spin as well.
Lee_M
Lee_M
Expertise: I live coffee

Grinder: Baratza Encore
Drip: V60
Roaster: Popper
Posted Wed Jan 2, 2013, 8:08pm

Huh, it only takes ten minutes before the valve goes off on mine. Is your stove underpowered?
lifeandpeace
lifeandpeace

Espresso: Arrarex Caravel
Grinder: BUNN G1, Zassenhaus knee
Vac Pot: Cory / Hario / Silex
Drip: cloth, glass Hario V60;...
Roaster: RK Drum, WBP II
Posted Thu Jan 3, 2013, 9:36am

Something seems amiss. Wand clean? Seals good?

I likewise boil it separately, then let the pressure build for five minutes, and I get overwhelming power. I used commercial La Marzoccos for a couple years, so I have a point of reference. Granted, the Bellman doesn't have three holes as the LMs, but I get far more than sufficient power to froth properly. I don't even turn the power all the way up.

I've even found that I can take it off the stove and set it by my lever for (by experience) five minutes as I prepare my lever machine for a shot. Still, after five minutes off the heat I have more than sufficient power.

www.lampmode.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Steaming milk...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Stefano's Espresso Care
Repair - Parts - Sales
Factory Authorized &
Trained Technician
www.espressocare.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.220504999161)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+