Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Machines and Brewing Methods
Now we know what GORT is (Behmor BraZen Brewer)
Cafe Espresso Machines
Video reviews, nationwide installation, leasing options... Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, La Marzocco.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Now we know what...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 77 of 111 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
germantownrob
germantownrob
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Duetto 3, A Dead Oscar
Grinder: Vario-W, Preciso w/Esatto,...
Drip: Brazen
Roaster: Diedrich IR-1, HT B
Posted Thu Jan 3, 2013, 7:59am
Subject: Re: Now we know what GORT is (Behmor BraZen Brewer)

cafedj Said:

That makes perfect sense.  What's not as obvious is why it would display 208 when I'm quite confident that water boils at very close to 212 in my location.  Does that mean it had drifted by 4 degrees?  My only concern was whether it's functioning as it should.

Posted January 3, 2013 link

I am in Philadelphia which is just above 250 feet elevation, I measure my water to boil at 210f-211f with accurate devices. So are you saying the Brazen when calibrated at 250 will no longer allow you to set the brew temp above 208f?

If salt lowers the boiling point could it be posiable that water being used could alter the calibration setting? edit: never mind, the coffe just kicked in, salt will raise the boiling point but probably not enough to measure.
 View Profile Link to this post
tahoejoe
tahoejoe
Expertise: I live coffee

Grinder: Solis Maestro
Drip: Behmor Brazen Brew System
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Thu Jan 3, 2013, 8:06am

cafedj Said:

That makes perfect sense.  What's not as obvious is why it would display 208 when I'm quite confident that water boils at very close to 212 in my location.  Does that mean it had drifted by 4 degrees?  My only concern was whether it's functioning as it should.

A component has tolerances for example of +/- 3%, by calibrating we correct/ adjust the data supplied by that component to be accurate to a known baseline but it is impossible to permanently correct the component's deficiences in tolerances itself.

Thus each time you calibrate, you start from the beginning not from a previous point of calibration.

In a nutshell, you are reading into it too much.

REMINDER: Never leave the roaster unattended when in use !!   And remember to use our Rosetta Stone tip PART V PARAGRAPH 3.. it works !!!

www.behmor.com

Twitter: www.twitter.com/behmor
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Behmor-Inc/214061212036763#!
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
cafedj

Espresso: Bialetti, Aeropress
Grinder: Rocky doserless
Vac Pot: Bodum
Drip: Behmor Brazen
Roaster: Counter Culture
Posted Thu Jan 3, 2013, 8:20am

tahoejoe Said:

A component has tolerances for example of +/- 3%, by calibrating we correct/ adjust the data supplied by that component to be accurate to a known baseline but it is impossible to permanently correct the component's deficiences in tolerances itself.

Thus each time you calibrate, you start from the beginning not from a previous point of calibration.

In a nutshell, you are reading into it too much.

As long as it's working as designed, and the 208 calibration display doesn't indicate a problem,  I'm good.  I've never seen a consumer level product include a calibration feature to compensate for component tolerances and drift, so just having that is a huge bonus.  I certainly didn't want to create some bogus issue.  More curiosity than anything.

Thanks.
tahoejoe
tahoejoe

Posted Thu Jan 3, 2013, 8:38am

germantownrob Said:

I am in Philadelphia which is just above 250 feet elevation, I measure my water to boil at 210f-211f with accurate devices. So are you saying the Brazen when calibrated at 250 will no longer allow you to set the brew temp above 208f?

If salt lowers the boiling point could it be posiable that water being used could alter the calibration setting?

In plain speak, everytime you press calibrate you start all over..

Salt- talking with a chemist, salt raises the boiling point.

In tests a 30% salt solution raised boiling point appx 3F and obviously the coffee undrinkable! This was in fact part of our R&D process for the calibration equations.

REMINDER: Never leave the roaster unattended when in use !!   And remember to use our Rosetta Stone tip PART V PARAGRAPH 3.. it works !!!

www.behmor.com

tahoejoe
tahoejoe

Posted Thu Jan 3, 2013, 8:59am

cafedj Said:

As long as it's working as designed, and the 208 calibration display doesn't indicate a problem,  I'm good.  I've never seen a consumer level product include a calibration feature to compensate for component tolerances and drift, so just having that is a huge bonus.  I certainly didn't want to create some bogus issue.  More curiosity than anything.

Thanks.

We fully understand the questions that can come from new technology but what happens is when the question(s) is/are posted online versus being sent to us first or researched from available online resources (TIPS/FAQ Sheet) my office then gets flooded (as did occur)with people immediately assuming they have a broken unit, which doubles even triples our work load.

I'm as inquisitive as anyone and in fact I like that mind set, my concern is as mentioned because inadvertantly a "new issue" is created in the minds of some when there is no issue.

It's a tough balancing act and one we do understand..

www.behmor.com

cafedj

Espresso: Bialetti, Aeropress
Grinder: Rocky doserless
Vac Pot: Bodum
Roaster: Counter Culture
Posted Thu Jan 3, 2013, 9:22am

Sorry, didn't mean to create a support problem.  Love the machine.  Thanks for the response.
JBMfiend

Posted Thu Jan 3, 2013, 1:29pm

Greetings all! New to CG but am an experienced coffee fanatic. Came here because I was looking for solution to problem with my brand new Brazen. Got it for Christmas. Brewed 7 pots and then had exactly the same issue as TK2FAST. 7 pots!! I dialed this machine in within 2 pots to a great cup of coffee but for $200 (granted it was a gift, but still...), I can't live with a brand new machine that leaves 1.5 to 2 full cups of water in the reservoir. I have seen this exact same problem in several forums so it is definitely an issue the has been called to Behmor's attention. I am working with Behmor support on the issue but no resolution yet - despite many great comments, I have found them to be a bit slow. TK2FAST and others...if you have been able to get your brewer to work properly (completely - i.e. leaving only about 2 tblsp water in the reservoir) would love to hear from you further.

Joe...what's up with this???

I REALLY want to love this machine and get it to work properly, but may have to return to the simplicity of the Technivorm.
tahoejoe
tahoejoe

Posted Thu Jan 3, 2013, 3:45pm

There are three reasons for water level you describe as being left in the reservoir.

1) bad valve- replace unit
2) small number of lids passed QC that were slightly oversized/ unbaked (since corrected) and creates vapor lock- easy fix new lid
3) unfiltered/ High mineral content in the water blocks a screen intended to prevent large particles from getting into the valve or other blockage (we've had paper towels/ lints etc) see attached- clean and use filtered water

The fixes on all 3 are simple.. thus the series of questions we ask.

tahoejoe: Valves mineral.jpg
(Click for larger image)

www.behmor.com

MJW

Posted Thu Jan 3, 2013, 4:22pm

cafedj Said:

... why it would display 208 when I'm quite confident that water boils at very close to 212 in my location.  ...

Joe already answered this, but the short simple answer is that the "208" display is an uncalibrated "208".

Here's additional info on how calibration works:

The calibration step 1) boils water and 2) takes a reading from the sensor.  That sensor reading is matched to 212*F (if you said you're at sea level).  Subsequently, Brazen can take any reading from the sensor, and convert it to a scaled value between 0 and 212*F (again, if you said you're at sea level).

During calibration, Brazen doesn't know it's boiling the water.  It's just heating it up long enough that it must be boiling, then takes a reading from the sensor.  Now it knows what the sensor will read at the boiling point -- plus, it can now accurately convert sensor readings to temperature in *F or *C, because you told it the *F or *C at which water boils.
tahoejoe
tahoejoe

Posted Thu Jan 3, 2013, 4:32pm

It's actually two fold..long enough so that data values remain constant. It could be long but if it (data stream/ values) are moving/ fluctuating the system will not accept until the data stream is stable for a set time

www.behmor.com

showing page 77 of 111 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Now we know what...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Learn @seattlecoffeegear
Learn all about coffee, watch videos, read how-to articles.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.412446022034)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+