Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Machines and Brewing Methods
New Brazen Behmor
Cafe Espresso Machines
Video reviews, nationwide installation, leasing options... Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, La Marzocco.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > New Brazen...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
Robroaster

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Livia
Grinder: bodum
Drip: Behmor Brazen
Roaster: i roast
Posted Sat Jan 5, 2013, 8:58pm
Subject: New Brazen Behmor

I received my BB a couple of days ago. Using a 1:15 pre-soak at 208, I still can't get close to the flavor from the Newco-OCS-8 that I've used for the last 5 years. I'm using the same amount of water and beans. BB suggested to grind at a course salt setting but that definitely didn't work. I went finer and that helped some, but still not a great cup. I am a about sea level. Any suggestions from other users?
 View Profile Link to this post
ggcadc
ggcadc
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: QM Alexia
Grinder: Mazzer mini E, Virtuoso,...
Vac Pot: Yama 3 cup
Drip: All of them
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Sat Jan 5, 2013, 11:37pm
Subject: Re: New Brazen Behmor

what flavor are you getting VS what you are looking for?

I would assume at 208 deg you are over extracting and getting a more bitter cup
tahoejoe
tahoejoe

Grinder: Solis Maestro
Drip: Behmor Brazen Brew System
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Tue Jan 8, 2013, 2:49pm

I use 202-205 depending upon the type of coffee.

African/ lighter roasts I'm 202, Centrals and FC..204/205

On 1.2L i use appx 68-70 grams

At 208 you will be delivering water to the grounds at a temp that exceeds the recommended SCAA zone or at the very least tickling the upper ends which could make for a bitter brew.

REMINDER: Never leave the roaster unattended when in use !!   And remember to use our Rosetta Stone tip PART V PARAGRAPH 3.. it works !!!

www.behmor.com

Twitter: www.twitter.com/behmor
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Behmor-Inc/214061212036763#!
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
yakster
yakster

Espresso: Gaggia Factory / La Peppina...
Grinder: Vario / Kyocera
Vac Pot: Yama 8 + Pyrex Lox-in Rod
Drip: Brazen / Kalita / Chemex /...
Roaster: Behmor
Posted Tue Jan 8, 2013, 3:58pm

+1

My normal temp range is 203F - 205F and I use the lower temperature range for bringing out the sweetness of coffees from Africa.  When the taste of the cup doesn't quite match up to the sweet smell of the beans, lowering the temp seems to help.

I use 50 grams for 900 ml batches and when I brew 1.2 liter pots I'll use about 68 grams of coffee.

-Chris

LMWDP # 272
TulsaMike

Posted Wed Jan 9, 2013, 2:52pm

This advice is the opposite of what I would have expected.  I would have thought that a lighter roast would need a higher temp to get more body and a darker roast would need less temp to keep it from being harsh and to try to get more sweetness out of it.  Joe and Yakster, could you (or anyone else) offer some insight into what's happening?  

You've offered advice on African and Centrals, lighter and darker roasts.  Any other rules of thumb?

Also, I've got a Baratza Maestro Plus and I'm currently grinding on 35 (out of 40).  Does this setting sound right?

Thanks!

Mike
yakster
yakster

Posted Wed Jan 9, 2013, 6:25pm

I'm afraid that I can't explain why this works, it's something that I'm learning by adjusting the temperature of the brew water and noting the differences in taste.  I was surprised when I noticed an increase in sweetness when I decreased the temperature.  I'd be interested to hear an explanation if anyone knows one.

-Chris

LMWDP # 272
Robroaster

Espresso: Livia
Grinder: bodum
Drip: Behmor Brazen
Roaster: i roast
Posted Wed Jan 9, 2013, 8:44pm

I will try the lower temp. I always have used in low 200's with other brewers. The guidebook for the BB used the 208 temp. It's not bitter, just not the flavor that I expected. I did increase the pre soak and I now lowered the temp to 203. Thanks for the suggestions.
yakster
yakster

Posted Thu Jan 10, 2013, 2:58pm

Lowering the temperature seemed especially effective in cases where the experience in the cup did not meet with the aroma... in other words, I'd smell sweet, fruity notes from the whole or ground coffee that were difficult to pick up in the brewed coffee.  When I brewed at a lower temperature, those notes were brought out in the cup.  The coffee brewed at the higher temperatures wasn't especially bitter, just seemed to be missing something.

Yesterday I brewed a pot of Ethiopia Haro Sana wet processed coffee at 202F that'd I'd roasted in the Behmor 1600 the night before.  It was even better this morning when brewed at 203F, but it's hard to tell if the improvement was due to another day of rest for these fresh beans or the change in temp.

-Chris

LMWDP # 272
TulsaMike

Posted Thu Jan 10, 2013, 4:27pm

Very interesting, Yakster.  If you get more sweetness and fruity notes with a lower temperature, what do you get with the higher temperature?  More body?  I just got my Brazen and I haven't brewed enough pots through it to draw any of my own conclusions.
yakster
yakster

Posted Thu Jan 10, 2013, 4:43pm

I didn't notice a change in body with these coffees that liked a lower temperature, just the change in flavor / sweetness.  I still play around with temperatures and I'm sure I haven't brewed anywhere near the number of pots that Joe has.

-Chris

LMWDP # 272
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > New Brazen...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Rocket R58 Double Boiler
Rocket Espresso R58 Double Boiler -  Everything you need for the perfect shot!
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.394434928894)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+