Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Machines and Brewing Methods
Just When You Think You are Getting It...
Rocket R58 Double Boiler
Rocket Espresso R58 Double Boiler -  Everything you need for the perfect shot!
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Just When You...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
slofox

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Thu Jan 10, 2013, 10:36pm
Subject: Just When You Think You are Getting It...

I've had the Gaggia Classic for five days now - five days of trial and error and enough coffee intake to cause the bones to rattle...IYKWIM.

This morning, I pulled three shots in a row that were pretty good really - I thought I must be getting it sorted. So just before I left for work I thought to have one more go...haha.

Completely turn to custard. Even though I thought I had done all things the same, this one was a disaster. 3 seconds to start, all over in 12, no crema at all.

Back to the drawing board...(sigh).
 View Profile Link to this post
NobbyR
NobbyR

Espresso: Poccino Opus One, Ariete
Grinder: Eureka Mignon Istantaneo
Vac Pot: N/A
Drip: Melitta Linea Unica de Luxe
Roaster: N/A
Posted Thu Jan 10, 2013, 11:57pm
Subject: Re: Just When You Think You are Getting It...

Well, just because you dialed in your grinder once doesn't mean it's set for eternity. With aging of the beans and changes in humidity the correct fineness of grounds also changes, so the grinder has to be adjusted. Most of the time on a daily basis, sometimes even more than once. That's perfectly normal.

"This drink of the Satan is so delicious that it would be a shame to leave it to the infidels." (Pope Clement VIII on coffee, when he was urged to ban the beverage)
frank828

Expertise: Professional

Posted Fri Jan 11, 2013, 2:55am

that huge of a difference in that short amount of time...it's most likely a channeling issue.
NobbyR
NobbyR

Espresso: Poccino Opus One, Ariete
Grinder: Eureka Mignon Istantaneo
Vac Pot: N/A
Drip: Melitta Linea Unica de Luxe
Roaster: N/A
Posted Fri Jan 11, 2013, 6:32am

You're probably right, Frank. Maybe the last shot was prepared in a hurry.

"This drink of the Satan is so delicious that it would be a shame to leave it to the infidels." (Pope Clement VIII on coffee, when he was urged to ban the beverage)
emradguy
emradguy
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Duetto II; Twist v2
Grinder: M Major, Macap M4, Pharos,...
Drip: Espro presses; Aeropress
Roaster: H-B "List of Favorites"
Posted Fri Jan 11, 2013, 7:42am

What grinder are you using?

When were your beans roasted?

Always remember the most important thing is what ends up in your cup!
slofox

Posted Fri Jan 11, 2013, 3:29pm

NobbyR Said:

You're probably right, Frank. Maybe the last shot was prepared in a hurry.

Posted January 11, 2013 link

Didn't tamp as hard as the last shot. That's what I reckon anyway.

All good again this morning.
slofox

Posted Fri Jan 11, 2013, 3:32pm

emradguy Said:

What grinder are you using?

When were your beans roasted?

Posted January 11, 2013 link

Grinder is Sunbeam EMO480, borrowed from my daughter. Just waiting for the Ascaso to arrive.

Beans roasted 7 January at one of our local roasting houses. Single origin El Salvador. Deliciously fragrant coffee.
slofox

Posted Mon Jan 14, 2013, 2:18pm

Ascaso i-steel grinder arrived yesterday. This is the flat burr version with the i-1 burr set. Stonking heavy beast but quite compact in form. Very noisy though. But then I don't give a rat's about that since there's only me living here. Apart from the cat that is and she doesn't seem to mind too much...

So it's a new ball game dialling this one in. Such fine adjustment available (stepless). It's not too far away about now but still not exactly as I want it. Trouble is, I can only test so much coffee in one sitting before the tremor immobilises me completely.

Overall, the Gaggia Classic is producing a pretty good product, even when things are not perfect. And when it does go right, it's great. Better than my local coffee shop actually but then I'm not about to go tell the barista his product is worse than my home stuff...
emradguy
emradguy
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Duetto II; Twist v2
Grinder: M Major, Macap M4, Pharos,...
Drip: Espro presses; Aeropress
Roaster: H-B "List of Favorites"
Posted Tue Jan 15, 2013, 10:15am

sounds like you're getting a handle on it.  This grinder should provide you much better consistency.  Sure great variances in tamp will cause some inconsistency, but considering that even if you tamp as hard as you can, you won't even approach the 135psi pressure the water hits the puck at during a shot, it won't make that much of a difference if you vary the pressure.  A bigger issue in shot prep will be distribution and anything else that makes your puck prone to channeling.

Always remember the most important thing is what ends up in your cup!
slofox

Posted Tue Jan 15, 2013, 10:54am

emradguy Said:

sounds like you're getting a handle on it.  This grinder should provide you much better consistency.  Sure great variances in tamp will cause some inconsistency, but considering that even if you tamp as hard as you can, you won't even approach the 135psi pressure the water hits the puck at during a shot, it won't make that much of a difference if you vary the pressure.  A bigger issue in shot prep will be distribution and anything else that makes your puck prone to channeling.

Posted January 15, 2013 link

There is a bit of a difference in the flavour of the same batch of beans, grinding with the flat burr as opposed to the conical burr in the Sunbeam. But then I read all about that so maybe I am looking for a difference anyway...
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Just When You...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Great Espresso at Home
Curated selection of the best machines from La Spaziale, Izzo, Quick Mill, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.304222106934)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+