Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Machines and Brewing Methods
Grind setting for Chemex
Espresso Makers
Premium stovetop espresso makers, electric moka pots, machines & accessories.
www.espressozone.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Grind setting...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
break
break
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Breville, Moka stovetop
Grinder: Capresso infinity
Vac Pot: Bodum french press
Drip: Viking, Chemex
Roaster: N/A
Posted Mon Jan 14, 2013, 1:07pm
Subject: Grind setting for Chemex

I have gravitated toward my Chemex as the go to brewing method over the past year.  An interesting shift, in that I held a rather indifferent opinion of the results. A posting here generated a good deal of criticism along with some constructive suggestions. I have continued to tinker with the variables.

I have a Capresso infinity burr grinder..reliable but certainly not for the cognoscenti. The grinder has extra fine, fine, medium, and coarse blocks, with 3-4 settings for each. i typically grind at the fine end of medium for my electric drip and at the mid range of coarse for French press.

I am still uncertain about the grind setting. Have read that it should be a bit coarser than that used for my electric drip machine, but not too near what I might use for French Press. Assuming I'm correct on the starting point.....any comments, perspective?
 View Profile Link to this post
johnnyb3

Grinder: Baratza Maestro Plus refurb
Vac Pot: Bodum Santos
Drip: Chemex
Posted Tue Jan 15, 2013, 9:26am
Subject: Re: Grind setting for Chemex

That's a good starting point. In my opinion, the important thing is controlling the contact time, and in order to get a full liter, or whatever your preferred brew size is, through the filter in the optimal 3:30 or so, the grind would need to be quite coarse; grinders like yours and mine (Baratza Maestro Plus) don't grind very evenly at the far end of the spectrum, and this results in some dust getting very overextracted. My solution is to grind about as you say, where the grind is reasonably consistent, and pour as much water through as I can in the desired amount of time; then just discard the filter and pour the rest of the water directly in. I don't hear much about this method, so this may not be a universally endorsed bit of advice, but it works for me!
yakster
yakster
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Gaggia Factory / La Peppina...
Grinder: Vario / Kyocera
Vac Pot: Yama 8 + Pyrex Lox-in Rod
Drip: Brazen / Kalita / Chemex /...
Roaster: Behmor
Posted Tue Jan 15, 2013, 11:46am

Bypass brewing is very common with batch brewers where you configure the % of water to bypass the filter so that you have the correct contact time with the coffee and still get the proper volume for your batch.  You're just doing it manually, works great and prevents overextracting the coffee with too long a contact time.

-Chris

LMWDP # 272
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
break
break

Espresso: Breville, Moka stovetop
Grinder: Capresso infinity
Vac Pot: Bodum french press
Drip: Viking, Chemex
Roaster: N/A
Posted Wed Jan 16, 2013, 7:45am

I've never hear of this, but after the initial notion it very quickly starts to make sense. I haven't been timing the pour through timing for Chemex, but will now do 3:30 and then go through the ending process.

This is what continues to hold and energize my interest in coffee...beyond the initial threshold of seeking greater taste with the quest for the best beans, there's always more inquiry into how to make it better...not elitist, pretentious or even fussy........just wonderfully self-satisfying. ..or extended to those with who one shares the results.  

Many thanks.
johnnyb3

Grinder: Baratza Maestro Plus refurb
Vac Pot: Bodum Santos
Drip: Chemex
Posted Wed Jan 16, 2013, 1:24pm

yakster Said:

Bypass brewing is very common with batch brewers where you configure the % of water to bypass the filter so that you have the correct contact time with the coffee and still get the proper volume for your batch.  You're just doing it manually, works great and prevents overextracting the coffee with too long a contact time.

Posted January 15, 2013 link

Ah, and now I even know what it's called :) Thanks for the info.
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Grind setting...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Italian Coffee
Italian coffee beans, grinds and pods from Kimbo, LavAzza, Miscela d'Oro & Bristot. Qty. discounts!
www.espressozone.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.253582000732)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+