Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Machines and Brewing Methods
controlling stimulation...
Home Espresso Machines
Watch videos with Gail & Kat, Rocket, Jura Capresso, Saeco, Rancilio, Quick Mill, Nespresso
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > controlling...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 3 last page next page
Author Messages
idrinkcoffee2013

Expertise: I live coffee

Posted Thu Jan 17, 2013, 9:08pm
Subject: controlling stimulation...

maybe i'm doing something wrong but i have a real hard time controlling the stimulation, it always plateau kinda at insuffucient level.  i been doing the brew coffee.  i quitted the drip brewer cuz it was plastic and seem hard to get one that not. and that got all kinds of health hazards.  but the manual pour -over hasn't been allowing me to adjust stimulation. i followed barista direction. wetting the ground ,wait a minute, then gradual concentric circles.

got fed up with brewing cuz stimulation was always weak...

i had to settle with a more consistent stimulation premixed instant brand.  folgers instant was able to be strong as  allowed me to adjust stimulation and crashed if i was not careful.  but the brand started to acquire a nasty taste so had to quit them.

am i brewing wrong or something? or brew always produces weak stimulation and would never crash no matter how much you take?  kinda frustrating here with no strong stimulation coffee.
 View Profile Link to this post
jbviau
jbviau
Expertise: I love coffee

Grinder: Preciso / LIDOs
Drip: Trifecta MB / Eva Solo...
Posted Thu Jan 17, 2013, 9:29pm
Subject: Re: controlling stimulation...

V'Ger: why do carbon units require stimulation?
calblacksmith
calblacksmith

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Fri Jan 18, 2013, 6:45am

I'm with Joshua on this, just what the heck are you trying to say?

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
frcn
frcn
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Vibiemme Domobar Double
Grinder: Mazzer Kony, Baratza...
Vac Pot: Hario, 2 Cory pots, 1 Cory...
Drip: Behmor Brazen, Bunn A10 mod...
Roaster: computer controlled Hottop,...
Posted Fri Jan 18, 2013, 7:39am

Sounds like an ESL problem.

But just in case, to give some sort of answer, what works for me is when my wife shows me a photo of my mother-in-law.   ):-0

Visit My Website
www.EspressoMyEspresso.com
redkiosk
redkiosk

Espresso: Illy Francis-Francis X1
Grinder: Baratza Preciso w/ Esatto...
Vac Pot: Someday, very intriguing!
Drip: Trifecta MB, Kalita Wave...
Roaster: A sure path to divorce!
Posted Fri Jan 18, 2013, 7:56am

I think he is trying to control the level of "buzz" he gets from caffeine. Maybe one of those portable IV infusion pumps loaded up with a concentrated robusta solution would do the trick. Take care!

Jim

The pathologically precise are annoying, but right!
CoffeeRoastersClub
CoffeeRoastersClub
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Vintage La Pavoni Lever...
Grinder: Breville Smartgrind,...
Vac Pot: Vintage Silex, Nicro...
Drip: Technivorm Moccamaster...
Roaster: javaPRO-CRC AIR Fluid Bed...
Posted Fri Jan 18, 2013, 9:16am

frcn Said:

Sounds like an ESL problem.

But just in case, to give some sort of answer, what works for me is when my wife shows me a photo of my mother-in-law.   ):-0

Posted January 18, 2013 link

Either that or he is 8 years old.

Len

"Coffee leads men to trifle away their time, scald their chops, and spend their money, all for a little base, black, thick, nasty, bitter, stinking nauseous puddle water." ~The Women's Petition Against Coffee, 1674

Bitcoin Merchant www.CoffeeRoastersClub.com     www.javaPRO-CRC.com     www.KaffeeFrisch.com
yakster
yakster

Espresso: Gaggia Factory / La Peppina...
Grinder: Vario / Kyocera
Vac Pot: Yama 8 + Pyrex Lox-in Rod
Drip: Brazen / Kalita / Chemex /...
Roaster: Behmor
Posted Fri Jan 18, 2013, 12:40pm

I believe that the OP is saying that the pour-over method is not resulting in a fully extracted cup of coffee with the target brew strength, taste, and body.

Coffee needs to be in contact with water for at least 3:30 after any bloom to fully extract in a pour-over, unless you're using agitation or a really fine grind to accelerate this.  Four minutes is better if you want to extract the sweetness from the hemi-cellulose component in the coffee.  What type of pour-over are you using and are you able to restrict the flow enough to maintain water contact with the coffee for this long?  

I attended a talk by Nick Cho on pour-over at his Wrecking Ball cafe in San Francisco and he brought up an interesting topic about the hydrolysis of hemicellulose which he says takes about four minutes.  I didn't take copious notes on this, but he does bring this up on a blog post on Iced Coffee here which I'll excerpt below.

While 65-70% of roasted coffee is considered insoluble, as much as 15% is hemi-cellulose, which is hydrolyzable with heat and time. Hemi-cellulose breaks down into reducing sugars, which are typically associated with caramel-ly and savory sweetness. There is, again, pitifully little research Iíve been able to find on the subject, aside from acknowledgement that hemi-cellulose exists in those proportions in roasted coffee and that hydrolysis to reducing sugars occurs over time. In fact, the Lingle book [Coffee Brewing Handbook] refers to hydrolysis as the third-phase of brewing, following wetting and extraction.

I would make sure that you are using enough coffee (60 grams per liter or a 16:1 water to coffee ratio is a good starting point), hot enough water, and a long enough contact time to see if this improves the cup for you.

-Chris

LMWDP # 272
DavecUK

Posted Fri Jan 18, 2013, 12:54pm

I thought perhaps this person had found and interesting, unusual new use for a coffee maker as a controllable stimulation device.....perhaps if they purchase a machine with a vibration pump, they will have much more success and get great "stimulation".....or mebbe go with a washing machine...dunno? Certainly it's true to say hand and battery powered coffee machines won't be as good.
rabbit

Espresso: v.3  miss sylvia
Grinder: baratza  vario, encore
Vac Pot: presspot
Roaster: fresh roast sr300
Posted Fri Jan 18, 2013, 5:02pm

look into the press pot method
squaremile

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Fri Jan 18, 2013, 5:24pm

I also think he is getting a weak cup. Try grinding finer and making sure your water is at the right temp
showing page 1 of 3 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > controlling...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Learn @seattlecoffeegear
Learn all about coffee, watch videos, read how-to articles.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.286709785461)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+