Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Machines and Brewing Methods
Which Bunn?
Rocket R58 Double Boiler
Rocket Espresso R58 Double Boiler -  Everything you need for the perfect shot!
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Which Bunn?  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
Rob989_69

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Fri Dec 28, 2012, 11:47am
Subject: Which Bunn?

I'm putting my search for an espresso machine on hold and have instead decided to upgrade my drip machine.

I've ruled out the technivorm due to price, ease of use, and capacity. As well as the Brazen due to capacity. So I am now deciding between  a Bunn VPR or a VR17. Any thoughts on either. Or any other Bunn in the sub $300 range?
 View Profile Link to this post
Rob989_69

Posted Sat Dec 29, 2012, 5:42pm
Subject: Re: Which Bunn?

I'm leaning hard toward the Bunn VPR APS, anyone know how the air pots affect coffee? Does it affect it negatively at all is the question.
CoffeeRon

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Wega Lyra, Europiccola(still...
Grinder: Macap M7D, Pharos, Vario W,...
Vac Pot: Sunbeam CoffeeMaster
Drip: Melita BCM-4
Roaster: FR SR500,B-1600, SC/TO
Posted Sat Dec 29, 2012, 8:28pm

Bunns air pots work great. A couple years ago I was helping to find a new coffee maker for where I worked and the good folks here on CG steered me towards a VPR air pot setup. Everyone was and is to this day very happy with it. The coffee stays hot for hours and as it's not on a burner cooking remains as delicious as the beans and grind allows.
calblacksmith
calblacksmith
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Sat Dec 29, 2012, 8:36pm

I have had a VPR APS for several years with no problems. It is a well made, dependable coffee maker. As it is a commercial unit, it has an adjustable thermostat though you need to remove a couple of screws to vet to it.

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
CoffeeRon

Posted Sat Dec 29, 2012, 8:40pm

BTW last year I bought a Bunn Velocity Brew ST (thermal cerafe) for my cousin for the holidays (along with a Baratza Maestro plus- I wanted good coffee when I went to visit :) Its been a good machine and the carafe does a great job of keeping the coffee hot.
Rob989_69

Posted Sun Dec 30, 2012, 12:48pm

Well, as much as I wanted the VPR I found a killer deal on another Bunn. Restaurant was going out of business and sold me their CWTF 15 for $80. Thing is in brand new condition. Just needs cleaned up. I'll find some descaler and delimer and clean it up right. It came with 1 caraffe, but it's pretty rough looking. I may find a replacement or I may just brew right into my thermal carafe. Not sure.

I can also plumb it directly or use it as a pourover. Again, not sure which I'll end up doing. I'll be using it as a pourover first.

Now I can restart my quest for a decent beginner espresso machine.
DreadManWalkin
DreadManWalkin

Posted Fri Jan 18, 2013, 10:08am

Hi All, totally new here but just recently purchased a VPR unit myself. My primary reason for purchasing this unit is that I was sick and tired of purchasing a new homeowner unit every year. Ive had horrible luck with Mr Coffee, Gevalia, and my recent "fill-in scab" Rival(which is a fancier way to say Wal-Mart). Outside of the Rival(which doesnt get nearly hot enough to brew, let alone drink), the other 2 made darn good pots of coffee. The problem was that they last a year and a couple of days, which conveniently puts them past any warranty. Heat elements fail on me on every unit, the latest being my Mr Coffee JWX27KV. I really enjoyed that unit, it was programmable and you could also select strength of coffee you would prefer. Which brings me to my current situation, strength of coffee. I prefer stronger cups of coffee, as long as flavor is not compromised. I drink my coffee black, and purchase coffee that is Fair Trade and Organic. I found that my VPR coffee maker runs water through at a very quick rate. I get it, its designed for commercial use so it needs to brew fast. But what Im looking for here is input from VPR or commercial coffee maker users as to how to make the best pot of coffee. Anybody tried to restrict the water flow so it would take longer to flush the grounds? Is it just gonna take more ground beans to get the job done? I have been using reusable filters for years in my "homeowner" units, which has increased flavor profiles with the oils making it to the cup. Cant find a reusable style filter for my VPR anywhere yet, Anybody else? I did find unbleached filters that fit my VPR online but didnt purchase yet because Im not sure I want 1,000 yet, plus I just bought 500 white ones, ouch! I have attempted to put a homeowner sized reusable filter inside of a paper filter in the VPR, which makes a mess in the basket but nowhere else, and have made a stronger pot of coffee by slowing down flow-thru rate. But there has to be a better way, Right? At least, I hope so. Well I will quit babbling, sit back, drink a little coffee and wait for your responses and input. Glad I found this site. Thanks fellow Coffee Geeks, Matt
RoyceRuiz

Expertise: I live coffee

Posted Fri Jan 18, 2013, 11:53am

DreadManWalkin Said:

Hi All, totally new here but just recently purchased a VPR unit myself. My primary reason for purchasing this unit is that I was sick and tired of purchasing a new homeowner unit every year. Ive had horrible luck with Mr Coffee, Gevalia, and my recent "fill-in scab" Rival(which is a fancier way to say Wal-Mart). Outside of the Rival(which doesnt get nearly hot enough to brew, let alone drink), the other 2 made darn good pots of coffee. The problem was that they last a year and a couple of days, which conveniently puts them past any warranty. Heat elements fail on me on every unit, the latest being my Mr Coffee JWX27KV. I really enjoyed that unit, it was programmable and you could also select strength of coffee you would prefer. Which brings me to my current situation, strength of coffee. I prefer stronger cups of coffee, as long as flavor is not compromised. I drink my coffee black, and purchase coffee that is Fair Trade and Organic. I found that my VPR coffee maker runs water through at a very quick rate. I get it, its designed for commercial use so it needs to brew fast. But what Im looking for here is input from VPR or commercial coffee maker users as to how to make the best pot of coffee. Anybody tried to restrict the water flow so it would take longer to flush the grounds? Is it just gonna take more ground beans to get the job done? I have been using reusable filters for years in my "homeowner" units, which has increased flavor profiles with the oils making it to the cup. Cant find a reusable style filter for my VPR anywhere yet, Anybody else? I did find unbleached filters that fit my VPR online but didnt purchase yet because Im not sure I want 1,000 yet, plus I just bought 500 white ones, ouch! I have attempted to put a homeowner sized reusable filter inside of a paper filter in the VPR, which makes a mess in the basket but nowhere else, and have made a stronger pot of coffee by slowing down flow-thru rate. But there has to be a better way, Right? At least, I hope so. Well I will quit babbling, sit back, drink a little coffee and wait for your responses and input. Glad I found this site. Thanks fellow Coffee Geeks, Matt

Posted January 18, 2013 link

Hi Matt, welcome to coffeegeek.  We need some more info.  How long does a brew currently take?  Have you timed it?  What is the volume in that time?  how many grams of coffee per 8 oz cup are you using?  What  grinder are you using and how fine is the coffee ground?  Answering these will help us help you brew the best possible coffee from your new machine.  As far as a reusable filter for that machine I think you will have a hard time because that is a commercial unit and usually restaurants don't use reusable filters.
CoffeeRon

Posted Sat Jan 19, 2013, 9:28am

Typically coffee is ground a bit finer for the Bunns, to compensate for the faster brew time.
DreadManWalkin
DreadManWalkin

Posted Tue Jan 22, 2013, 5:18pm

Royce,    

It usually takes about 4 minutes for a batch to brew, regular 12 cup pot about 60 ounces. I usually use 5 scoops of beans, which works out to 1.5 ounces(43g), that I grind on my Mr Coffee grinder model IDS77. I have been grinding it on Medium grind for 12 cup up until today when i tried the fine grind setting as a test. Today's coffee had more flavor but something is still not there. Doing the math, I come up w 5.73 grams per 8 ounce cup, which is what I used on my Mr Coffee JWX27KV on the strong setting for the same volume. It took my old coffee maker 20 minutes to finish, which includes heating that water. I never really thought to time that unit once I could hear the water start flushing. I haven't tested  my Bunn maker to see what the actual temperature of the water coming out is. Then again, I really don't know what the best temp should be, my cup of coffee is hot but could probably be hotter as far as drinking purposes. I figure that will be my next test, brew temperature.  Am I just missing flavor from the oils? I ponder....... Matt
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Which Bunn?  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Commercial Equipment
Nuova Simonelli, La Marzocco, Rancilio. Nationwide installation. Instant financing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.281732082367)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+