Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Machines and Brewing Methods
Now we know what GORT is (Behmor BraZen Brewer)
Find the Right Machine...
Package deals on the best machines from Izzo, Quick Mill, Rocket, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Now we know what...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 90 of 113 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
The_Coffee_Guy
The_Coffee_Guy
Expertise: I live coffee

Grinder: Baratza Encore
Drip: Behmor BraZen Brew System,...
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Fri Feb 22, 2013, 5:35am
Subject: Re: Now we know what GORT is (Behmor BraZen Brewer)

LIY Said:

Many thanks for the very prompt and detailed reply!

If I may, a couple of additional questions with regard to the Brazen:

(I have used a variety of brewers - all with glass pot; never thermal.)  Do you preheat your carafe?  If you do, how long does the coffee remain "hot"?  If you don't preheat the carafe, will the coffee be reasonably hot for a couple of hours or so after brewing?

The carafe does a very good job of maintaining temperature but I always pre rinse it with hot water first to 'wake up the heat', otherwise the coffee is reasonably hot for sure.

Did you encounter the plastic odor complained of  by some on this forum, if so, when and how did it dissipate?

I'm certain I'm going to eventually "bite the bullet" and give the Brazen a try, but if I do so, I'm going to have all the info available - eyes wide open!
Once you do hit that 'buy' button you will not be disappointed. The brewer, once you know your formula for your personal best cup, will consistently provide that awesome beverage for you. It is a most incredible brewer that in my opinion leaves others behind, mainly due to its calibration, presoak and temp adjustment features.

Many thanks!!

Posted February 22, 2013 link

View Profile Link to this post
The_Coffee_Guy
The_Coffee_Guy

Grinder: Baratza Encore
Drip: Behmor BraZen Brew System,...
Posted Fri Feb 22, 2013, 5:37am

Sorry about the post not quite quoting,are my points again...for easier reading :)

The coffee be reasonably hot for a couple of hours or so after brewing?

The carafe does a very good job of maintaining temperature but I always pre rinse it with hot water first to 'wake up the heat', otherwise the coffee is reasonably hot for sure.

Once you do hit that 'buy' button you will not be disappointed. The brewer, once you know your formula for your personal best cup, will consistently provide that awesome beverage for you. It is a most incredible brewer that in my opinion leaves others behind, mainly due to its calibration, presoak and temp adjustment features.
Mfoster

Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: cheapo
Grinder: Capresso Infinity
Drip: Brazen
Posted Fri Feb 22, 2013, 10:58am

LIY, You're welcome.

I don't warm the carafe. RT at my house is in the 63-66 range. The coffee comes out hot, but not too hot to drink at a 200F brew temp.
I've only brewed 1/2 pots, and the coffee doesn't last long. At most an hour and it stays warm. How warm ? I haven't probed it.... But I'd say yummy warm.

Absolutely no off flavors or smells for me. I washed it out with soapy water then calibrated followed by two fresh water runs. I use water filter from a GE undersink water filter that you can buy at HomeDepot.

One thing I did notice today. I made a pot this morning using the gold filter supplied with the Brazen, then this afternoon used the same coffee (Willoughby's House) with a Mellita paper filter. Same conditions for grind, Pre-soak and brew (1:30 @ 200F).
The afternoon brew with the filter didn't feel as "full". It just seemed a bit flat..... Same flavor, just a bit milder body on the tongue.
Personally, I prefer and will probably use the gold filter from now on.

Get it, you'll love it. Any other q's - feel free to ask !
- Cheers, Mark
Mfoster

Posted Fri Feb 22, 2013, 2:09pm

LIY
After three hours, the coffee is a bit cooler, but still warm. Best of all, it still has a great flavor. No bitterness or off flavors from sitting in the pot........ It seems like the slightly lower temp has made the Willoughby's House Blend a bit smoother, more enjoyable, on it's own with no creamer added.

I may have to dump the CoffeeMate, which was a requirement for the thick and chewy FP brew.
MJW

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Fri Feb 22, 2013, 3:51pm

I agree with others, the things some have complained about are really minor, or, somehow they just become part of the routine.

Besides the precise & correct temperature, I think the flat coffee bed and showerhead design also help to get the most out of the coffee.  The long preinfusion time and pulse brew probably help also.
VKirby

Expertise: I like coffee

Posted Sat Feb 23, 2013, 9:07am

LIY Said:

I'm convinced that you can get a really good cup of coffee from this device, but I am apprehensive about the many negatives cited by those posting to this forum!  
Perhaps it would be wiser to wait for version 2.0??
LIY

Posted February 21, 2013 link

No, no. We have already succeeded. I mean, what are the three terrors of the Brazen? One, the scale build up- no problem. Use zero water, we can avoid that. Two, how to pour without making a mess, which you were clever enough to discover with proper technique, so in the future we can avoid that too.

What about the COPT?

Coffee of plasticky taste?  I don't think it exists.
cafedj

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Bialetti, Aeropress
Grinder: Rocky doserless
Vac Pot: Bodum
Drip: Behmor Brazen
Roaster: Counter Culture
Posted Sat Feb 23, 2013, 9:29am

VKirby Said:

Coffee of plasticky taste?  I don't think it exists.

Posted February 23, 2013 link

It certainly exists.  Mine had it in spades on day one, even after half a dozen full water only cycles.  But I washed all the removable parts in warm soapy water and let them air dry overnight and the next day I could detect zero plastic smell or taste.  It's been undetectable since even with water only test runs.  So, at least for me it's not a reason to avoid the Brazen.

On the other issues, the scaling depends on your water and there are at least two solutions, periodic citric acid cleaning and zero water.  On the water not fully draining, that happened to me as well, but I got a replacement which works perfectly so far.  I'm confident they will stand behind the product so again not a reason not to buy it.

With so many pros outweighing the few relatively minor cons, the balance is easy to see.  Every machine has some issues and people who've had bad luck with them.  The Brazen simply does things and has features that no other consumer machine can match.
LIY

Posted Sat Feb 23, 2013, 2:36pm

Well, thanks to the several posters who were kind enough to respond to my questions about the Brazen, i pulled the trigger yesterday, around 2 PM, and ordered one from RoastMasters.com.  It arrived at my door step in Baltimore, around 2 PM this afternoon (along with a Behmor t-shirt, pound of Willoughby's, and filters).  Remarkable service I think - my hat is off to the folks at Roastmssters!

Washed all parts in warm soapy water, calibrated, ran two helpings of Zero water through the brewer, and brewed a pot, using some Peet's Major Dickinson blend on hand - ground medium, using the gold filter supplied with the brewer.  Brew temp at 204, pre-soak at 1 mnute (though I doubt any pre-soak was necessary based on the age of the coffee beans).  The brew was excelent!  (Think I'm gong to lower the brew temp and the pre-soak time; just to experiment).

Pouring from the carafe, clean-up, etc. was no big deal - glad I didn't let some negative posts with regard to these issues deter me from buying the Brazen.  Coffee stayed drinkably warm in the carafe until all was consumed.

I will post my experiences with this brewer as appropriate - but as of right now, I'm a very satisfied customer!

LIY
Mfoster

Posted Sat Feb 23, 2013, 4:43pm

LIY
Glad to hear you're happy with the brewer.

- Mark
pgde

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: None
Grinder: Kitchenaid KPCG100
Vac Pot: None
Drip: Behmor Brazen
Posted Sat Feb 23, 2013, 10:24pm

LIY -- welcome to the owner's club :-)

P.
showing page 90 of 113 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Now we know what...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Great Espresso at Home
Curated selection of the best machines from La Spaziale, Izzo, Quick Mill, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.296409130096)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+