Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Machines and Brewing Methods
How to soften hard water without a softener if you rent or want to avoid expense
Craft Roasted Coffee
Some days you make the coffee. Other days the coffee makes you.
bit.ly/craftroasting-ks

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > How to soften...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 2 first page previous page
Author Messages
tahoejoe
tahoejoe
Expertise: I live coffee

Grinder: Solis Maestro
Drip: Behmor Brazen Brew System
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Thu Jan 10, 2013, 12:29pm
Subject: Re: How to soften hard water without a softener if you rent

Hat tip to all for the data in this thread especially about the Zero Water products.

According to a very technically astute chemist who assists us (John Nanci- Chocolate Alchemy fame) those water conditioners are the only portable one's he's found that addresses the mineral issues assosicated with hard water.

Thank you
Joe Behm

REMINDER: Never leave the roaster unattended when in use !!   And remember to use our Rosetta Stone tip PART V PARAGRAPH 3.. it works !!!

www.behmor.com

Twitter: www.twitter.com/behmor
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Behmor-Inc/214061212036763#!
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
efahl
efahl
Expertise: I like coffee

Posted Sat Jan 19, 2013, 12:47pm
Subject: How to soften hard water without a softener if you rent or want to avoid expense

Ok, based on this thread I went off and got a ZeroWater 10c pitcher.  Wow, even without measuring TDS the difference in flavor of our tap water is astounding, it tastes like real water again!  We had previously been using a Pur filter, so I have three data points:

Raw tap water = 392 TDS (tastes baaaaaaad)
Pur filtered = 320 TDS (tastes baaaaad)
ZeroWater = 0 TDS (wow, tastes like I'm in Michigan again, drinking Lake Huron water)

Our supply, as I mentioned above, is from varying sources depending on how full the local reservoirs are, so I think that the 390 is probably a low reading that will creep up as the reservoirs empty and we get more water from the Colorado (the ZeroWater site shows a mean of 525 for our zip).  After testing, I decided to use the Pur to pre-filter for the ZeroWater, mostly because we have a few Pur filters and might as well use them up to save a bit of load on the ZeroWater ones before we abandon the Pur.

I'll be mixing down the 0 water to probably 50 or so to dump into the coffee maker (a Brazen, by the way, nice job, Joe).  I'm operating under the assumption that "best flavor TDS" is very much a local thing, depending on the proportions of minerals in the water, so I'll have to experiment to find what I like best...

Thanks for the info guys and gals,
Eric
 View Profile Link to this post
Buckley

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Sun Jan 20, 2013, 8:17am
Subject: Re: How to soften hard water (etc., etc.)

Dear Efahl,

Great!  Thanks for being a 'guinea pig' and contributing your experience.  It goes a long way for 'validating' this entire thread.  How much did ZeroWater cost, if I may ask?

Buckley
tahoejoe
tahoejoe
Expertise: I live coffee

Grinder: Solis Maestro
Drip: Behmor Brazen Brew System
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Sun Jan 20, 2013, 10:12am

Buckley Said:

Dear Efahl,

Great!  Thanks for being a 'guinea pig' and contributing your experience.  It goes a long way for 'validating' this entire thread.  How much did ZeroWater cost, if I may ask?

Buckley

Posted January 20, 2013 link

We are also testing the 23 cup version and if found to be suitable offer discount coupons to all Behmor customers.. And Efahl's idea of reintroducing some minerals back into the water is not a bad idea. Our resident chemist, techno guru and all around great guy John Nanci will be running tests on doing just that..

All for the love of coffee

REMINDER: Never leave the roaster unattended when in use !!   And remember to use our Rosetta Stone tip PART V PARAGRAPH 3.. it works !!!

www.behmor.com

Twitter: www.twitter.com/behmor
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Behmor-Inc/214061212036763#!
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
steven_meyer

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Alex Duetto 3.0, ECM  Giotto...
Grinder: HG-One, Mahlkonig K-30 vario
Posted Sun Jan 20, 2013, 10:23am

I bought mine at Bed, Bath and beyond for 39.95 including one filter and the TDS meter. A two pack of replacement filters cost 29.95. I used two of my saved up 20% coupons to bring my cost down to $55.00
showing page 2 of 2 first page previous page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > How to soften...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Find the Right Machine...
Package deals on the best machines from Izzo, Quick Mill, Rocket, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.24525809288)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+