Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Machines and Brewing Methods
Now we know what GORT is (Behmor BraZen Brewer)
Gourmet Organic Coffee
Temblor is a smooth high-grown Guatemalan coffee that presents notes of spice and chocolate.
thelostgringo.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Now we know what...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 104 of 109 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
IMAWriter
IMAWriter
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Bezzera Strega
Grinder: Forte, Preciso/Esatto, KyM...
Vac Pot: Adcraft SS, Yama 8 cup
Drip: Brazen, Kalita, Chemex,...
Roaster: Behmor 1600, CO/UFO combo
Posted Sun Sep 29, 2013, 9:13pm
Subject: Re: Now we know what GORT is (Behmor BraZen Brewer)

PandaMatic Said:

We finally have a Behmor-certified solution for the Brazen's drippy carafe!!

tahoejoe made an appearance over at HB. See the following link for details: Click Here (www.home-barista.com) There are instructions detailing how to get the carafe retrofit kit.

Hopefully we'll be seeing tahoejoe return to this forum as well. Even though I was not a member at the time, his input was invaluable earlier in this thread, and it would be great to see that dedication to customers continue.

Posted September 29, 2013 link

Just spoke with Joe, and he's checking with the powers that be HERE, as to how to post within guidelines. CG is a bit more strict regarding posts that might be construed as "commercial", even one as helpful as this new modification.  However, Behmor has always been a customer aware company, and Mark and the mods know that.
I'm sure there will be a posting here soon as possible.

Rob J (LMWDP #187)
My Music Production web site:
www.robertjason.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
tahoejoe
tahoejoe

Grinder: Solis Maestro
Drip: Behmor Brazen Brew System
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Mon Sep 30, 2013, 4:34pm

Earlier this year, we were made aware of an issue concerning a relatively small percentage of carafes that dribbled. When the issue was brought to our attention, we brought it to the attention of the factory, which was surprised. Mr Coffee had used that carafe in over 200,000 units without any reports of this dribbling effect.

I want to personally apologize to every Behmor Brazen customer affected by this.

Despite the low overall percentage of carafes involved, we felt the best solution was to do a complete spout/upper portion redesign. The full vetting/testing is completed, and all involved are more than satisfied with the results. We hope you will be, too.

Starting Monday- September 20th, we will have a kit available for anyone interested (instruction sent via email) in swapping the old upper portion of the carafe with the new one. The swap requires two screwdrivers (small flat head and a Phillips) and about 5 minutes’ time.

Video of the procedure can be found at You Tube by doing a keyword search- Behmor Carafe Upper Portion or directly at:  

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=66Ma7kRehd0

If you have a carafe that has issues with dribbling, please send an email to: support@behmor.com  

Please provide the following data:

Subject line: Carafe Kit  
Body: Name, address, serial number and where purchased.  No P.O. Boxes, please.

I’d also like to thank all those who have assisted and displayed a great deal of patience while Behmor found a solution.

We’ll also be doing a swap on existing inventory, so all new units will ship with the corrected carafe and kits provided to distributors for distribution if needed.

Again, my personal and sincerest apologies for the issue and any inconvenience it has caused.

Best regards,

Joe Behm

ps.. out of respect for Mark and crew/ mods etc I wanted to get permission before posting...

REMINDER: Never leave the roaster unattended when in use !!   And remember to use our Rosetta Stone tip PART V PARAGRAPH 3.. it works !!!

www.behmor.com

Twitter: www.twitter.com/behmor
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Behmor-Inc/214061212036763#!
tahoejoe
tahoejoe

Posted Mon Sep 30, 2013, 5:01pm

One would think doing a redesign for the most part dealing with the spout would be simple yet it was anything but and found the process painfully slow because we wanted to be 100% sure on the outcome.

We/I  literally looked at every existing design and found all to be deficient in one way or another. On all my travels I could be seen in every hotel, restaurant, etc etc that had any carafe, or other item with a spout photographing the design, it's spout's shape and how it poured, dribbled, and even dripped. It was an eye opening how many dribbled until I found a silver plated creamer that always poured cleanly. It had an occassional drip but no dribble. The challenge then became how to adapt something similar in plastic due to metal thickness v. plastic

My greatest frustration through it all wasn't just the fact I knew it was drving some crazy as well as upset, to include myself, it was that the carafe (see attached) was the only item we didn't design ourselves and never saw the dribble occur in numerous test units. When I first heard of it, I was taken aback as was the factory and when I got a carafe in my hands that consistantly repeated the dribble I flew to Asia with it in my carryon and watched a room full of engineers stunned when they saw it dribble.

We, engineers overseas, and 3 of us here, dug into everything and after almost 6 months, finally 23 days ago retooling was completed and I air freighted these in, otherwise it would have been another 6 possibly 8 weeks...

Again I apologize for the issue which literally became my whole point of focus for the past 6 months...

tahoejoe: photo.JPG
(Click for larger image)

REMINDER: Never leave the roaster unattended when in use !!   And remember to use our Rosetta Stone tip PART V PARAGRAPH 3.. it works !!!

www.behmor.com

The_Coffee_Guy
The_Coffee_Guy

Grinder: Baratza Encore
Drip: Behmor BraZen Brew System,...
Posted Mon Sep 30, 2013, 5:07pm

Joe, thank you
 View Profile Link to this post
tahoejoe
tahoejoe

Posted Mon Sep 30, 2013, 5:58pm

During the 6 months we also analyzed the tiny screen in the valve.

After consulting with engineers here, overseas and reviewing data we found only 2 instances (my attorney's brewer-looked like an owl regurgitated) so we will also be removing a screen in all systems that was intended to catch large particulate matter but turned into a catch all for people using water with a high mineral content ( http://www.behmor.com/images/combo_of_sediment.jpg   top right valve and top left reservoir after high mineral water is used).

Thus we determined the screen’s removal did not pose any real issue. The instance with my attorney occurred because each morning after brewing, he was taking the lid off completely then in the normal course of the day between two dogs, housecleaning, etc etc junk flew in.

As a result of what we learned, we are removing every screen from the existing inventory and future builds. If you accidentally dump grounds in the reservoir, just invert the reservoir over a sink and spray out the grounds before next use.

Again we apologize to all, as a lesson we learned is we can control mechanics, change spout designs, constantly seek improvements but habits are a different beast and I should know this old dog has his days too when change in routines doesn't play well.

We do listen..

www.behmor.com

imsnowbear
imsnowbear
Expertise: I love coffee

Grinder: Capresso Infinity
Vac Pot: Several, including Sunbeam...
Drip: Technivorm, Melitta Clarity,...
Roaster: SC/GG
Posted Fri Oct 4, 2013, 10:48am

I have now received the carafe fix kit. It must have been shipped the same day I requested it at the Behmor site. The removal of the old top assembly was straightforward. Installation of the new one was lots of fun, just because my arthritic hands are not as nimble as the children they must use at the factory in China to assemble them originally. ;)

Nevertheless, I got it together. It works! No more drips, dribbles or counter puddles. Good work Joe and company!

In addition, I started having problems with the water valve not closing completely. This rendered the Manual Release, pre-infusion, and pulse brewing inoperative. Interestingly, the pre-infusion and pulse brewing make for a significant improvement in the brewed coffee.

However, when I contacted Behmor about this, their response was practically immediate and totally satisfactory. It is not unexpected for a new, complex and innovative product to have a few glitches. It is refreshing and practically unprecedented for a company to exhibit such outstanding customer service. I salute Behmor for standing behind their products and their continuing efforts to improve them.
frcn
frcn
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Vibiemme Domobar Double
Grinder: Mazzer Kony, Baratza...
Vac Pot: Hario, 2 Cory pots, 1 Cory...
Drip: Behmor Brazen, Bunn A10 mod...
Roaster: computer controlled Hottop,...
Posted Fri Oct 4, 2013, 12:13pm

Joe,

Is there any way for the consumer to remove the filter screen? I have not had any difficulty with mine, but with three cats, two dogs and a wife living in the house with me (YES, it's MY wife!), and on ten acres of land and the dist it creates, eventually I might have problems with clogging and don't mind making a preemptive strike.

Visit My Website
www.EspressoMyEspresso.com
imsnowbear
imsnowbear
Expertise: I love coffee

Grinder: Capresso Infinity
Vac Pot: Several, including Sunbeam...
Drip: Technivorm, Melitta Clarity,...
Roaster: SC/GG
Posted Fri Oct 4, 2013, 12:41pm

frcn Said:

Joe,

Is there any way for the consumer to remove the filter screen? I have not had any difficulty with mine, but with three cats, two dogs and a wife living in the house with me (YES, it's MY wife!), and on ten acres of land and the dist it creates, eventually I might have problems with clogging and don't mind making a preemptive strike.

Posted October 4, 2013 link

Did you try using the technical advice function on the Behmor website? In my experience they're extremely responsive.
tahoejoe
tahoejoe

Posted Fri Oct 4, 2013, 1:19pm

frcn Said:

Joe,

Yep and it's quite easy w/ the right kind of tool and what we found works best is a little dental pick type tool we found at Harbor Freight:
http://www.harborfreight.com/6-piece-pick-set-93514.html

In the picture its the last pick that is perfect (see attached) because it has a slight bend to it. You literally stick this in and spin the tip till it grabs the mesh then keep twisting and gently pull out. I've had to fish a couple of them if it lost it's hold but no biggie, back in snag, twist and pull. Key is once the mesh is snagged, gently twist/ spin while extracting.

tahoejoe: pick.JPG
(Click for larger image)

www.behmor.com

tahoejoe
tahoejoe

Posted Fri Oct 4, 2013, 1:30pm

imsnowbear Said:

I have now received the carafe fix kit. It must have been shipped the same day I requested it at the Behmor site. The removal of the old top assembly was straightforward. Installation of the new one was lots of fun, just because my arthritic hands are not as nimble as the children they must use at the factory in China to assemble them originally. ;)

Nevertheless, I got it together. It works! No more drips, dribbles or counter puddles. Good work Joe and company!

In addition, I started having problems with the water valve not closing completely. This rendered the Manual Release, pre-infusion, and pulse brewing inoperative. Interestingly, the pre-infusion and pulse brewing make for a significant improvement in the brewed coffee.

However, when I contacted Behmor about this, their response was practically immediate and totally satisfactory. It is not unexpected for a new, complex and innovative product to have a few glitches. It is refreshing and practically unprecedented for a company to exhibit such outstanding customer service. I salute Behmor for standing behind their products and their continuing efforts to improve them.

From the bottom of my heart and all at Behmor- thank you for taking the time to write this.

In my almost 30 years of being within the business community this has been perhaps the most trying time of my life because I/we understood how it was such an annoyance to those with this problem and when we look back wonder how the hell we didn't see it in testing. Only thing we can figure is tooling warped/ was old which caused a tiny burr on the spout but whatever the cause we are thrilled to have this solution so we can do what we love doing- Invent new goodies while continually tweaking/ improving, where needed, what we have on the market.

Thank you again
Joe

www.behmor.com

showing page 104 of 109 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Now we know what...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Italian Coffee
Italian coffee beans, grinds and pods from Kimbo, LavAzza, Miscela d'Oro & Bristot. Qty. discounts!
www.espressozone.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.525341033936)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+