Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Machines and Brewing Methods
Gaggia Classic temperature is werid
Home Espresso Machines
Watch videos with Gail & Kat, Rocket, Jura Capresso, Saeco, Rancilio, Quick Mill, Nespresso
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Gaggia Classic...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
Chumunga

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Gaggia classic
Posted Wed Jan 23, 2013, 11:05pm
Subject: Gaggia Classic temperature is werid

as the title implies. So tell me if im doing the styrofoam cup test wrong please.
Note:
I tested my thermostat with boiling water from my electric kettle and it reads 212F
I am under the impression that the thermostat has +/- 20F
  1. When i begin the test I let it warm up about 10 mins and have my stryofoam cup cut to fit in to the group head (note: even tho I wait 10 mins the red light on the brew switch is lite, which i believe means boiler is off and the brew temp is Ideal<==let me know if this is correct please)

2. my cup has 2oz marks on the side and when i pull the shot my thermostat reads 175-180F and when the brew lights goes out (i am under the impression that the boil is on now)

3. When it comes back on I switch on the brew switch and this time it reads 175-185F not much better

Well today I ordered a new brew switch and my silvia steam wand came in so I obviously had to install it (by the way I can't believe how freaking easy it was) and after installing I was going to run a test so I switched the machine on and left it running for 30 mins (steam switch is off) and decided to do a styrofoam cup test and was able to get 199.8F WHAT!?!?!?!??! I ran a second test and 187F and after that 175F so is my thermostat broken or is the brew switch light lying to me and i need to let the Gaggia warm up longer than 10 and if so how long do i have to wait, also how long should i wait to pull my second shot after the first.

Wahyit
 View Profile Link to this post
NobbyR
NobbyR
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Poccino Opus One, Ariete
Grinder: Eureka Mignon Istantaneo
Vac Pot: N/A
Drip: Melitta Linea Unica de Luxe
Roaster: N/A
Posted Thu Jan 24, 2013, 4:58am
Subject: Re: Gaggia Classic temperature is werid

I think it's important to know that the styrofoam cup method is rather inaccurate and will only give you an approximation of actual brewing temperatures. The values you messured are within the expecxted range.

"This drink of the Satan is so delicious that it would be a shame to leave it to the infidels." (Pope Clement VIII on coffee, when he was urged to ban the beverage)
dyqik

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Bezzera BZ07 PM
Grinder: Baratza Virtuoso Preciso...
Vac Pot: Cona D
Drip: Bona-Vita, CCD, Aeropress.
Roaster: Gene Cafe, Modded Poppers
Posted Thu Jan 24, 2013, 9:33am

Firstly, you need to let the Classic warm up for more than 10 minutes.  About 20 is enough though.

Secondly, you need to always start the test at the same point in the ready light on/off cycle, as the thermostat has a wide dead band (about 15-20 degrees) between switching the heating element on and switching it off again (the element switches off at a temperature about 20F above the temperature that it switches on at), so your results can vary by that much if you start at random points in the cycle.  If you watch the machine for a couple of minutes, you should see the light go off and come on again as the boiler cools and then heats up again.  The heating element is powered up when the ready light is off, but the thermostat and element are both on the outside of the boiler, so the maximum temperature for the water inside the boiler occurs a bit after the ready light goes on - maybe about 30 seconds or so.  After learning the thermostat cycle, you can choose your brew temperature by choosing your starting point in the cycle.

Thirdly, you need to leave about 5 minutes between each test, as each time you run the pump, cold water is put into the boiler, and it needs to come up to temperature.  When brewing shots this can be a little closer together (maybe 3 minutes apart?), as the water goes into the boiler a bit slower when there's a portafilter full of coffee resisting the flow.

Given the problems and expected accuracy with the styrofoam cup test, your results aren't too far off - I think the machine is working fine.
D4F

Espresso: Gaggia Classic PID
Grinder: Baratza Forte-AP
Posted Thu Jan 24, 2013, 11:02am

A few comments and variables in addition to the posts above.

You tested the thermostat, or the thermometer with boiling water?  I wlll assume the thermometer and that you now know that it is accurate.  Is it an instant digital thermometer and is it through the side of the cup so that it reads as the water is entering the cup?  Did you preheat the cup and thermometer with near boiling water?  Was the PF on the group until just before the test?  All of that can also affect the reading.  The temperature falls very fast, literally as you watch and try to read it.  Preheating the cup and thermometer in the cup helps.  I realize that a real Styrofoam cup has little thermal mass, but it helps to preheat. Then, all of that said, as Nobby noted, it is an approximation.

D4F also at
http://www.gaggiausersgroup.com/
Chumunga

Espresso: Gaggia classic
Posted Thu Jan 24, 2013, 11:22pm

So I did test my thermometer with boiling water but I didn't know about the cycles and my portafilter wasn't installed, I read a few Gaggia manuals and none of what you are all saying, that makes excellent sense, was mentioned in the manual(s) I will organize my test with all the variables in mind and try again in a more methodical manner. Thanks guys and I replaced my thermostat with a 100c and no difference surprise surprise.
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Gaggia Classic...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Rancilio Silvia - How to
Step by step guide for easy brewing and steaming with the Rancilio Silvia
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.218603134155)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+