Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Machines and Brewing Methods
DH is espresso incompetent so I need to get him a programmable drip.
Home Espresso Machines
Watch videos with Gail & Kat, Rocket, Jura Capresso, Saeco, Rancilio, Quick Mill, Nespresso
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > DH is espresso...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
BrookNYC

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Thu Jan 24, 2013, 9:12am
Subject: DH is espresso incompetent so I need to get him a programmable drip.

I can't wake up to make him an espresso in the mornings anymore its making me miserable so I am calling it quits and getting him a programmable drip machine. I know they are all bad but I must pick something. Which would you pick if you had no choice an electric Melitta or a Cuisinart.
 View Profile Link to this post
frcn
frcn
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Vibiemme Domobar Double
Grinder: Mazzer Kony, Baratza...
Vac Pot: Hario, 2 Cory pots, 1 Cory...
Drip: Behmor Brazen, Bunn A10 mod...
Roaster: computer controlled Hottop,...
Posted Thu Jan 24, 2013, 9:31am
Subject: Re: DH is espresso incompetent so I need to get him a programmable drip.

Neither.
Behmor Brazen or just a large pour-over cone.

Visit My Website
www.EspressoMyEspresso.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
BrookNYC

Posted Thu Jan 24, 2013, 10:07am
Subject: Re: DH is espresso incompetent so I need to get him a programmable drip.

Which Brazen there are two models?
BrookNYC

Posted Thu Jan 24, 2013, 10:13am

What about the Bonavita? I looked though some old posts and saw this band mentioned a lot also. Which is better the Brazen or Bonavita?
dyqik

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Bezzera BZ07 PM
Grinder: Baratza Virtuoso Preciso...
Vac Pot: Cona D
Drip: Bona-Vita, CCD, Aeropress.
Roaster: Gene Cafe, Modded Poppers
Posted Thu Jan 24, 2013, 11:37am

The Brazen is $199, and has a built-in timer and allows the temperature of the water to be set to 1F for the best extraction.  It has filter basket fixed to the brewer, and the carafe can be removed during brewing to sneak a cup early if necessary.

The Bonavita is $129 for the glass carafe version and $149 for the thermal carafe version.  It brews at a fixed temperature, but does reach proper brewing temperatures (unlike most cheaper brewers).  It only has a simple switch on side to start it, although it does switch itself off after brewing.  It's filter basket sits on top of the carafe, which can't be removed during brewing.  A quick test with my one in the office suggests that it could be operated on an external timer switch as the power switch will remain on even if the power is disconnected, and will stay on when the power is connected.

Other recommended options for automatic machines would probably be the offerings from Bunn, Technivorm, or maybe the new Bodum drip brewer.  Both the Technivorms and the Bodum are more expensive then the Brazen, with much fewer features.  I don't know much about the Bunn model

In either case, operating on a timer will mean filling the machine with water and ground coffee (and remembering to do so) before leaving it overnight.  Most of us here wouldn't recommend leaving ground coffee lying around in a damp environment overnight as it will stale significantly.
frcn
frcn

Posted Thu Jan 24, 2013, 11:46am

The Behmor Brazen (only one model) features adjustable temperature as well as altitude correction (user-programmed altitude), and even a calibration function that compensates for electronic drift over time (a once or twice a year function done by the user), as well as programmable preinfusion, excellent dispersion pattern, and a timer to have coffee ready in the morning (although the quality of the coffee suffers when the grounds are allowed to sit out all night). All that and unsurpassed customer service. One or two degree change in temperature can make a big difference in the cup. My review is HERE.

Visit My Website
BrookNYC

Posted Thu Jan 24, 2013, 11:50am

Thank you for a very detailed description. I will mull over the Brazen vs the Bonavita and decide which will best suite my husband.
BrookNYC

Posted Thu Jan 24, 2013, 12:26pm

frcn Said:

The Behmor Brazen (only one model) features adjustable temperature as well as altitude correction (user-programmed altitude), and even a calibration function that compensates for electronic drift over time (a once or twice a year function done by the user), as well as programmable preinfusion, excellent dispersion pattern, and a timer to have coffee ready in the morning (although the quality of the coffee suffers when the grounds are allowed to sit out all night). All that and unsurpassed customer service. One or two degree change in temperature can make a big difference in the cup. My review is HERE.

Posted January 24, 2013 link

Thank you for the review. Excellent customer service is of the up most importance to me so Brazen it is.  Thank you I am sure I will be in a better mood soon in the feature thanks to you.
frcn
frcn

Posted Thu Jan 24, 2013, 6:14pm

BrookNYC Said:

Thank you for the review. Excellent customer service is of the up most importance to me so Brazen it is.  Thank you I am sure I will be in a better mood soon in the feature thanks to you.

Posted January 24, 2013 link

Ahhh... I needed that warm-and-fuzzy!
Be aware that the negatives (and solutions) are basic and include:
1 - Dribbles water when removing the reservoir lid (use a towel)
2 - Dribbles coffee when pouring into cups (tip the carafe well past 90 degrees and THEN press the lever to pour)
3 - Somewhat sensitive to hard water deposits clogging the screen and stopping or impeding the flow (use softened water and/or descale regularly)
4 - The coffee it makes is so good that you will end up drinking more coffee (drink more coffee and enjoy it!)  ;-)

Visit My Website
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > DH is espresso...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Grey Seal Coffee
We Roast Exceptional Coffee. See Our Brew Guides And Our Coffee Courses. 10% off with 'coffeegeek'!
greysealcoffee.co.uk
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.303206920624)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+