Coffee: Machines and Brewing Methods
A New Chemex User's First Impressions
Stefano's Espresso Care
Repair - Parts - Sales
Factory Authorized &
Trained Technician
www.espressocare.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > A New Chemex...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
uRabbit

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Silvia V3 + PID
Grinder: Baratza Vario, Hario Mini
Drip: Chemex, AeroPress, Wave,...
Posted Sat Jan 26, 2013, 8:18pm
Subject: A New Chemex User's First Impressions

TL;DR: http://imgur.com/a/B1zMd

If any of you have seen my recent posts, you may notice that we have been having horrible luck with our DeLonghi BAR32 espresso machine. Rather than spending $1,000 on a Crossland CC1 and a Preciso grinder (maybe next year), we went out and crossed boundaries into an entirely new-to-us field and got a Chemex.

Since we didn't have anything we needed in order to make good coffee from the Chemex (other than the grinder), we went out and gifted ourselves quite a bit.

Chemex, filters, scale, kettle. We also bought some Monin syrup (which is amazing, by the way), because we have used it before in press and espresso coffee; however, it is entirely unnecessary to add *anything* to Chemex-brewed coffee. This. Is. Amazing.

I have never - in my long 24 years ;) - been able to drink black coffee. Even from upstanding coffee shops like Victrola, Stumptown, Coffeehouse Northwest, etc. Yet, that is the only way I want to drink Chemex-brewed coffee. Absolutely perfect.

We used this coffee, which was brewed just four days ago. You could absolutely taste every single flavour and smell every note that is mentioned on that page.

AROMA:
Chocolate, Wild Berry, Wooden Boat

BODY:
Rubenesque

FLAVOR:
Earth, Spice, Tobacco, Fruit

After taking slurps of this delectable brew, I would breathe the aftertaste back onto my palate, and I could pick up notes mentioned in both the aroma and flavour.

I have crossed over into a new realm. And I like it!

Edit: It has come to my attention that the thicker side of the filter should go on the spout side. Oops! Haha.

Purista Coffee Co. - Blog, Reviews, Culture, More.
http://puristacoffeeco.com/ | thepuristas@puristacoffeeco.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
jaybar

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Sat Jan 26, 2013, 8:41pm
Subject: Re: A New Chemex User's First Impressions

What grind did you use for your first Chemex?

Jay
 View Profile Link to this post
uRabbit

Posted Sat Jan 26, 2013, 10:39pm

jaybar Said:

What grind did you use for your first Chemex?

Jay

Posted January 26, 2013 link

We set our Bodum Bistro burr grinder right in the middle. Chemex suggest medium grind. Stumptown suggests medium-coarse. We are going to step it up each time around, and see if it gets better or worse. However, everything went perfectly this first time, I think. Extraction took exactly three minutes (which Chemex suggests) for 10.1 ounces of water through 21 g of coffee, yielding 7 ounces of brew. :)

jaybar

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Sun Jan 27, 2013, 5:08am

What size chemex?

Jay
uRabbit

Posted Sun Jan 27, 2013, 7:37am

jaybar Said:

What size chemex?

Jay

Posted January 27, 2013 link

Six cup. :)

TheSunInsideYou
TheSunInsideYou

Espresso: Breville BES900XL
Grinder: Laranzato HC-600, OE LIDO,...
Vac Pot: Yama 3
Drip: Hario V60, Chemex
Posted Sun Jan 27, 2013, 7:45am

uRabbit Said:

TL;DR: http://imgur.com/a/B1zMd

If any of you have seen my recent posts, you may notice that we have been having horrible luck with our DeLonghi BAR32 espresso machine. Rather than spending $1,000 on a Crossland CC1 and a Preciso grinder (maybe next year), we went out and crossed boundaries into an entirely new-to-us field and got a Chemex.

Posted January 26, 2013 link

I think that that was a safe call. The Chemex is a great brewer. I literally just made a Chemex before reading this post. I'm glad that you're finding how wonderful freshly-brewed, well-prepared coffee is. Enjoy!

-Dave-
uRabbit

Posted Sun Jan 27, 2013, 9:50am

TheSunInsideYou Said:

I think that that was a safe call. The Chemex is a great brewer. I literally just made a Chemex before reading this post. I'm glad that you're finding how wonderful freshly-brewed, well-prepared coffee is. Enjoy!

-Dave-

Thank you, Dave.

We got everything (except non-bleached filters) at Seattle Coffee Gear. Definitely out of the way, but their star is awesome and their products unrivalled. They had a CC1 set up to test, but I didn't want to risk an impulse buy. Haha! We may go back just to try it out. What's a 30 mile drive for espresso tasting? ;)

We sure are happy with our new method. This morning, we tried making the grind setting coarser by one notch, and doing a double pour, but the coffee came out over-extracted. I had been reading an article, and they poured twice after blooming. However, I did not take into account the fact that they were making much more coffee.

We may try a coarse setting without doing a double pour. Our first time was pretty perfect, though, so we may stick with that. We are recording everything in our Notes up on our iPhones. But we would prefer a coffee journal. I downloaded a coffee journal app, but it is too limited. A physical journal may work better.

TheSunInsideYou
TheSunInsideYou

Espresso: Breville BES900XL
Grinder: Laranzato HC-600, OE LIDO,...
Vac Pot: Yama 3
Drip: Hario V60, Chemex
Posted Sun Jan 27, 2013, 9:59am

uRabbit Said:

We sure are happy with our new method. This morning, we tried making the grind setting coarser by one notch, and doing a double pour, but the coffee came out over-extracted. I had been reading an article, and they poured twice after blooming. However, I did not take into account the fact that they were making much more coffee.

We may try a coarse setting without doing a double pour. Our first time was pretty perfect, though, so we may stick with that. We are recording everything in our Notes up on our iPhones. But we would prefer a coffee journal. I downloaded a coffee journal app, but it is too limited. A physical journal may work better.

You're quite welcome. Check out brewmethods.com. It's an invaluable resource. You can get a couple ideas from there and see what works best for you.

-Dave-
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > A New Chemex...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Rancilio Silvia - How to
Step by step guide for easy brewing and steaming with the Rancilio Silvia
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.309326887131)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+