Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Machines and Brewing Methods
Strange problem with weighing water for V60
Cafe Espresso Machines
Video reviews, nationwide installation, leasing options... Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, La Marzocco.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Strange problem...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
DoctorBeans

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Tue Jan 29, 2013, 9:32am
Subject: Strange problem with weighing water for V60

I am having problems with measuring the amount of water that goes through my V60.

I have a Jennings CJ-4000, on top of which I put a warm carafe, the V60, a washed filter, and 24 g of ground coffee. My goal is to get 390 g (or mL) of water going through in about 2.5 min. I then zero the scales and start pouring, slowly and in stages. The problem is that, after a couple of minutes, the readout on the scales actually starts decreasing quite significantly, even though I am still pouring water into the grounds. This makes it impossible to know how much water I am actually pouring over, and by the end I feel like I could be out by as much as 50-100 mL.

Has anybody seen this before? Does anybody know what's going on? Thanks.
 View Profile Link to this post
Sam21

Grinder: Baratza Virtuoso, LIDO,...
Vac Pot: Siphon, Aeropress, CCD
Drip: Kalita Wave, Beehouse,...
Roaster: Hottop KN-8828B-2K
Posted Tue Jan 29, 2013, 11:38am
Subject: Re: Strange problem with weighing water for V60

DoctorBeans Said:

I am having problems with measuring the amount of water that goes through my V60.

I have a Jennings CJ-4000, on top of which I put a warm carafe, the V60, a washed filter, and 24 g of ground coffee. My goal is to get 390 g (or mL) of water going through in about 2.5 min. I then zero the scales and start pouring, slowly and in stages. The problem is that, after a couple of minutes, the readout on the scales actually starts decreasing quite significantly, even though I am still pouring water into the grounds. This makes it impossible to know how much water I am actually pouring over, and by the end I feel like I could be out by as much as 50-100 mL.

Has anybody seen this before? Does anybody know what's going on? Thanks.

Posted January 29, 2013 link

Are you timing your pour with your cell phone nearby? Put it onto airplane mode and be sure to move other wireless devices away from it! See if that helps.
DoctorBeans

Posted Tue Jan 29, 2013, 11:50am

Are you timing your pour with your cell phone nearby? Put it onto airplane mode and be sure to move other wireless devices away from it! See if that helps.

You know, I was indeed timing it with my cell phone. Tomorrow, when I try again, I'll take this into account and let you know how it goes. (It's too late in the day for another coffee now.)

Thanks for the suggestion!
yakster
yakster
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Gaggia Factory / La Peppina...
Grinder: Vario / Kyocera
Vac Pot: Yama 8 + Pyrex Lox-in Rod
Drip: Brazen / Kalita / Chemex /...
Roaster: Behmor
Posted Tue Jan 29, 2013, 2:53pm

I would also suggest testing your scale for heat sensitivity.  Place your carafe full of hot water on the scale with something between the scale and the carafe to insulate the scale from the heat and make a measurement.  Remove the heat insulator and place the carafe back on the scale with the insulator on top of the carafe this time and watch the scale to see if it weighs the same and if the weight changes as the scale heats up.

I picked up some cork coasters to see if this was happening with my American Weigh scales, but it did not appear to be an issue in my case.

-Chris

LMWDP # 272
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
jpender
jpender
Expertise: I like coffee

Grinder: OE LIDO
Vac Pot: S/S Moka Pot
Drip: Aeropress
Posted Tue Jan 29, 2013, 4:08pm

Don't forget to check to see if new batteries do the trick.
dana_leighton
dana_leighton
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Isomac Relax; Caferina...
Grinder: Macap MXK; Baratza Vario-W;...
Vac Pot: Yama 5-cup
Drip: Technivorm; CCD; Melitta
Roaster: Poppery I w/PID controller
Posted Tue Jan 29, 2013, 6:08pm

yakster Said:

I would also suggest testing your scale for heat sensitivity.

Posted January 29, 2013 link

I second this suggestion. I have a scale that is sensitive to heat. When I was weighing my espresso shot I was watching the weight change. Weird. Putting an insulator inbetween solved the problem.

Dana Leighton - Espresso hack and CoffeeGeek moderator
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
DoctorBeans

Posted Wed Jan 30, 2013, 9:45am

Hi all, thanks for the suggestions.

I tried timing it with my cell phone in airplane mode, but that didn't help.

Tomorrow I'll test for heat sensitivity, and also to see if new batteries might help.
Netphilosopher

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Wed Jan 30, 2013, 11:50am
Subject: .

jpender
jpender
Expertise: I like coffee

Grinder: OE LIDO
Vac Pot: S/S Moka Pot
Drip: Aeropress
Posted Wed Jan 30, 2013, 5:54pm

A drift of 50 to 100g seems like an awful lot, even with a big pot of hot water sitting on the scale. It does fit the symptoms though.
DoctorBeans

Posted Thu Jan 31, 2013, 8:39am

I tried it today with a book underneath the carafe and I saw no drift in the weight measurement. I'll need to start looking for a more convenient way to insulate the carafe from the plate on the scales, however.

I'm a little surprised that I never saw any mention of this before (I did a lot of reading around before I decided on a set of scales). Is there a better sort of carafe to use to collect the coffee, i.e., one that's more insulated on its bottom? At the moment I'm using a stainless steel milk pitcher.
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Strange problem...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Support Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids is a non profit charity working with farming communities around the world. Donate today!
www.coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.320432901382)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+