Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Machines and Brewing Methods
Bunn Trifecta MB Owners' Thread
Cafe Solutions
Commercial sales and service, nationwide installation, equipment leasing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Bunn Trifecta MB...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 28 of 46 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
ESCinKC

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Sat May 11, 2013, 6:13am
Subject: Re: Bunn Trifecta MB Owner's Thread

Hi everyone - I've been looking around for a really great coffee maker for my soon to be married daughter and son in law, and this one is really intriguing. I started out thinking that getting them a multi-function espresso/cap/coffee thing would be pretty cool, but I think the reality is that they just enjoy a quality cup of coffee more than anything else.

Is this something that a couple of people will find to be useful and convenient in terms of their everyday coffee making, or will the one cup at a time thing be a pain in the neck - I just can't tell if it is a practical solution for 2 people wanting coffee at the same time.

Thanks for any input you may offer!

Ed
 View Profile Link to this post
Socalsteve

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Alex Duetto II
Grinder: Versalab M3, Baratza Vario-W...
Drip: Bunn Trifecta MB
Posted Sat May 11, 2013, 7:58am

ESCinKC Said:

Hi everyone - I've been looking around for a really great coffee maker for my soon to be married daughter and son in law, and this one is really intriguing. I started out thinking that getting them a multi-function espresso/cap/coffee thing would be pretty cool, but I think the reality is that they just enjoy a quality cup of coffee more than anything else.

Is this something that a couple of people will find to be useful and convenient in terms of their everyday coffee making, or will the one cup at a time thing be a pain in the neck - I just can't tell if it is a practical solution for 2 people wanting coffee at the same time.

Ed

Posted May 11, 2013 link

My fiancé an I use it daily. With a bit of prep, it's a pretty short time between cups. Also, this machine won't make GREAT cups of coffee unless you use fresh beans and a grinder made for drip coffee ( and grind the beans right before ).
sweaner
sweaner
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Vetrano, Arrarex Caravel, La...
Grinder: Mazzer SJ, OE Pharos
Roaster: Poppery II
Posted Sat May 11, 2013, 7:10pm

Here is a video showing the brewing of the barrel conditioned coffee!

Click Here (s137.photobucket.com)

-Scott
“Coffee - the favorite drink of the civilized world.”
Thomas Jefferson
nachoslibres

Grinder: Baratza Vario-W
Drip: Bunn trifecta MB
Posted Sat May 11, 2013, 8:13pm

ESCinKC Said:

Ed

Posted May 11, 2013 link

If they like quality coffee, and want something that's pretty easy to use then this is the way to go.  As stated by the previous poster, a quality grinder is a must, but assuming one was to get this machine they would already likely have a quality grinder or upgrade to one soon after as they would be really missing out.

It takes about a minute to 2 minutes to warm up if it hasn't been used in a while, then you just pour in the amount of water you want for your cup into the reservoir, pour in your freshly ground beans into the brew chamber, put your mug under the spout, and press the brew button.  The brew and press-out takes about a minute and 15 seconds and clean up for me just consists of emptying out the brew chamber of grinds (which are pretty dry due to the press-out), rinsing out the chamber and the valves with running hot water, and then drying with a paper towel and using that same paper towel to wipe down the shower head and rest of the machine.  Clean up takes a minute at the max all together, so it really is a quick and easy way to get a great fresh cup of coffee that tastes awesome, is quick, and very easy to cleanup.  The machine itself also looks great so you don't have to worry about hiding it in your cabinet.
jbviau
jbviau

Grinder: Preciso / LIDOs
Drip: Trifecta MB / Eva Solo...
Posted Sat May 11, 2013, 8:26pm

sweaner Said:

Here is a video showing the brewing of the barrel conditioned coffee!

Click Here (s137.photobucket.com)

Posted May 11, 2013 link

Ha! I've never heard mine do that. Maybe add a drop or two of Beano to the brew chamber?
barkingburro
barkingburro

Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Vac Pot: Trifecta MB, CafeSolo,...
Posted Sat May 11, 2013, 8:57pm

If the couple do not typically grind their beans, or are relatively ignorant of the logistics for obtaining fresh, good tasting beans, let alone the cost, then I suggest you do some inquiry and find out.  This is potentially much more hassle than they will appreciate.

But if your gift is not so much one of convenience [epic fail, my friend], but one of adventure and discovery, with a knowledgeable guide who can take them step by step on the journey, then consider this as an investment in time and knowledge transfer, a mini course in Coffee 101.  Heck of a meaningful gift, IMO.

- Michael
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
ESCinKC

Posted Sun May 12, 2013, 5:39am

Thanks for all of the responses folks!

They both do appreciate a good cup of coffee, and my daughter currently has a cheapo blade grinder that she uses to grind about 3 days worth at a time. She is living with us this past year as she finished her masters degree and has insisted on making her own coffee instead of drinking the tired junk I was brewing (and then burning on the hot plate). We recently toured the Roasterie here in KC click here together and enjoyed learning some basics about the coffee industry and processing. She's been buying the Roasterie beans ever since. So there is a budding interest, which was the basis of my gift idea.

Loved that video posted by sweaner - hilarious!

It does seem like they could effectively make two cups at one time by putting the full amount of water and having a little larger container to receive it. That would seem like an important thing to me - so they can make a little coffee together in the morning and not have to do the routine twice before they could sit down with a cup together.

So the quality grinder would be another follow-up gift idea - maybe for xmas which would be about 3 months after they get married. I know enough from reading on here that a burr grinder is the way to go - maybe I don't have to spend $500 like the one I saw earlier in this thread to get a decent one? Here's one they sell at the Roasterie that seems pretty nice click here.

What I like about the Trifecta unit is that it is the kind of indulgence that they would not spend the money on themselves under their current circumstances, it's kind of techno cool, and I think that they would love the benefits of having one.

Thanks again! Now - I just have to convince my wife it's a cool enough gift!

*Edit - one more thing I meant to add: I was considering the Breville BDC600XL YouBrew as an alternative and read a few reviews about it. Seems like a pretty nice grinder/drip coffee combo. Or, if there was a nice combo grinder/coffee maker/cappuccino maker I might go for that because they are not espresso drinkers (yet) but like the occasional latte kind of drink.
Socalsteve

Espresso: Alex Duetto II
Grinder: Versalab M3, Baratza Vario-W...
Posted Sun May 12, 2013, 7:08am

It does seem like they could effectively make two cups at one time by putting the full amount of water and having a little larger container to receive it. That would seem like an important thing to me - so they can make a little coffee together in the morning and not have to do the routine twice before they could sit down with a cup together.

The most it will make is 12 oz at a time...if they don't mind 6 oz each. Then that could work. The grinder is truly the key ( as well as fresh high end coffee)... Don't skimp out on that...as for a multi use machine, they do nothing great...
jbviau
jbviau

Grinder: Preciso / LIDOs
Drip: Trifecta MB / Eva Solo...
Posted Sun May 12, 2013, 11:22am

Ed, based on what you've written I'm not sure the Trifecta should be atop their wedding gift list. As mentioned, a good grinder would probably be better to invest in on their behalf. How generous of you, by the way!

About the whole "coffee for two" issue, I may be in the minority here in that I don't reach for the Trifecta when I want coffee for both my wife and me (simultaneously) on the weekends; instead, I use a higher-volume manual brew method (Eva Solo or French press, usually). We have young kids, and just getting everyone to the table at the same time with food can be challenging, so I like to minimize the running around.
ESCinKC

Posted Sun May 12, 2013, 2:45pm

Hmmm... I certainly have some things to think about! I'm glad I posted here and appreciate everyone's kind and knowledgeable responses. Not sure yet what I will do, but this has been helpful.

Ed
showing page 28 of 46 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Bunn Trifecta MB...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Coffee Kids
Help folks who help folks in coffee producing nations.
coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.311959028244)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+