Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Machines and Brewing Methods
Now we know what GORT is (Behmor BraZen Brewer)
Coffee Kids
Help folks who help folks in coffee producing nations.
coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Now we know what...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 87 of 113 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
cafedj

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Bialetti, Aeropress
Grinder: Rocky doserless
Vac Pot: Bodum
Drip: Behmor Brazen
Roaster: Counter Culture
Posted Thu Jan 24, 2013, 1:26pm
Subject: Re: Now we know what GORT is (Behmor BraZen Brewer)

bebopdeluxe Said:

Sorry if this question has been answered (I guess I could go through 88 pages of posts...), but what is the exact technique to keep from making a drippy mess when pouring a cup of coffee?  I mean, I can do it occasionally, but most of the time the pour from the carafe leaks all over the countertop.  

Don't get me wrong - I like the brewer...but something as simple as pouring a cup of coffee should not have to have the steady hand and laser-like focus of a surgeon - should it?

(especially when I am grumpy and sleep-deprived in the morning)

Thanks in advance for the help...

Posted January 24, 2013 link

Individual Brazen carafes may vary, but my pouring method works perfectly for me without spilling even a drop.  Tip the carafe all the way up, even a bit past vertical, over the cup before pressing the button.  Press and pour.  Voila!  I was also getting dribbles on the counter top before I figured out this technique, so I'm pretty sure it's not just my carafe.
 View Profile Link to this post
CraigA
CraigA
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: PID/PressureMod 2001...
Grinder: BUNN FPG-2 DBC, Baratza...
Vac Pot: Bodum Santos manual, Yama 5...
Drip: Behmor BraZen, BUNN VPR-APS,...
Roaster: Refurb Behmor 1600, BBQ...
Posted Thu Jan 24, 2013, 1:39pm

cafedj Said:

Individual Brazen carafes may vary, but my pouring method works perfectly for me without spilling even a drop.  Tip the carafe all the way up, even a bit past vertical, over the cup before pressing the button.  Press and pour.  Voila!  I was also getting dribbles on the counter top before I figured out this technique, so I'm pretty sure it's not just my carafe.

I pour for three 10 oz mugs & go from one to the next all the while, but you have to keep the carafe moving upward towards vertical for the complete time for the amount you're pouring.. & I also don't spill nary a drop. {;-)

http://twitter.com/CoffeegeekCraig
http://www.facebook.com/craig.andrews.169

Excellent coffee doesn't just happen!
 View Profile Visit website Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Contact via ICQ Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
cafedj

Espresso: Bialetti, Aeropress
Grinder: Rocky doserless
Vac Pot: Bodum
Drip: Behmor Brazen
Roaster: Counter Culture
Posted Thu Jan 24, 2013, 1:47pm

CraigA Said:

I pour for three 10 oz mugs & go from one to the next all the while, but you have to keep the carafe moving upward towards vertical for the complete time for the amount you're pouring.. & I also don't spill nary a drop. {;-)

I tip it all the way up, stop and hold it there before pressing the button.   When I would press and then start tilting to pour I would often make a mess.   But there could very well be a smooth motion technique I didn't figure out.   If I'm holding it still, vertically above the cup, I can stop and restart as well without dribbles.

Note: I should mention that I'm not pouring a full pot.  I brew 900ml, so that might be a factor.   Haven't tried my trick with a full pot, so YMMV.
TK2FAST
TK2FAST

Posted Thu Jan 24, 2013, 4:40pm

I tilt the carafe 90 degrees and then pull the "trigger" and that seems to work for me. Not perfect, but  better then pulling the "trigger" and then pouring.
JavaGator

Posted Thu Jan 24, 2013, 5:02pm

Can anyone tell what "filtered water" is exactly.  I have a PUR filter attached to my kitchen tap.  That is what I use to fill the Brazen.  Is that filtered so as to reduce scale in the unit?  I recently descaled, as I was seeing some scale in the reservoir, and assumed it must be accumulating on the screen.  If the PUR is not the best filter for this purpose, what is exactly?  Thanks.
CraigA
CraigA

Posted Thu Jan 24, 2013, 5:25pm

It's been mentioned earlier Mitch by a CG member & Joe Behm, President of Behmor., the Zero Water filter..

View Profile Visit website Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Contact via ICQ Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
JavaGator

Posted Thu Jan 24, 2013, 5:35pm

CraigA Said:

It's been mentioned earlier Mitch by a CG member & Joe Behm, President of Behmor., the Zero Water filter..

Is that the only option, short of an under the sink contraption? I really like the faucet attachment like the PUR I use now.
MJW

Posted Fri Jan 25, 2013, 5:29pm
Subject: Re: Filtering

JavaGator, most of the pitcher-type filters, such as home versions of PUR, Brita, Mavea, more or less feature activated carbon filters, which by themselves don't reduce hardness or alkalinity.  They may also include other filtration methods in their filter, that do reduce hardness a little.  The Mavea filters for example include some other filtration methods in a minor way, and reduce hardness and alkalinity somewhat.

Zerowater is unusual because it is a) a pitcher or "countertop" product, b) it's up front cheap, and c) it reduces hardness and alkalinity to negligible levels.  I believe ongoing cost of filters is pretty expensive even compared to Mavea.

Reverse osmosis does a good job reducing hardness, has a high upfront cost, low ongoing cost, and requires under sink installation.  It wastes a lot of water, meaning when you need one gallon of good output water, it requires 2 gallons input (or 3 or whatever).

Ion exchange filters are another method.

According to the Schulman's water FAQ, boiling water in such a way as to free CO2 will cause some of the hardness to come out of solution.

I could be wrong but I get the impression most people who are serious about their water use systems that are based on RO.
MJW

Posted Fri Jan 25, 2013, 6:07pm

tahoejoe Said:

Mike.. the beauty of the internet is the ability to communicate with a wide/large group of people quickly. The downside is a few emails on one subject can give a false impression of a wider issue than it really is. That's frustrating because what readers don't see is all the data, specifcally units affected to units shipped and despite the numbers being small in relative terms we still seek easy solutions for those customers.

Posted January 22, 2013 link

Joe yes I agree but it was mostly your warnings about using hard water with the Brazen that gave me the wrong impression in this case.

It sounds like, in the absence of more data, folks should expect Brazens to work fine with hard water, as long as they are willing to descale periodically.
CraigA
CraigA

Posted Fri Jan 25, 2013, 6:14pm
Subject: Re: Filtering

MJW Said:

According to the Schulman's water FAQ, boiling water in such a way as to free CO2 will cause some of the hardness to come out of solution.

Posted January 25, 2013 link

Yes, what I mentioned also earlier in the thread, & around the forums.

I could be wrong but I get the impression most people who are serious about their water use systems that are based on RO.

I'm sure that's true.

I've had an all stainless steel steam distillation unit that I bought on the spot after talking with the engineer/inventor back in 1984 (actually his prototype before being realeased to stores) when I created all of my award/trophy winning (CABA {Canadian Amateur Brewers Association} Best Porter, Best Stout, Best of Show., by top judge Michael Jackson, British Beer Guru Michael Jackson) all grain beer styles (& adjusted brewing water parameters for each beer style/category). Sorry, not bragging., just stating old documented/recorded facts.

It'd be a no brainer if I wanted to adjust any water from anywhere in North America to any GPG/PPM/MG/L that I need LOL..

O.T., but for espresso that's been stated as 50 - 100 ppm for optimum/taste/flavor that I've read.

showing page 87 of 113 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Now we know what...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Support Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids is a non profit charity working with farming communities around the world. Donate today!
www.coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.330433130264)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+