Coffee: Machines and Brewing Methods
Water temperature, density, and mass
Stefano's Espresso Care
Repair - Parts - Sales
Factory Authorized &
Trained Technician
www.espressocare.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Water...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
AnotherSadDrip

Expertise: I like coffee

Posted Wed Feb 6, 2013, 7:12pm
Subject: Water temperature, density, and mass

I have been struggling with the issue of water density for a couple of days now. I use a #6 filter cone and filter with a ratio of 66 g/liter--usually using either 33 g or 66 g of coffee depending on how large of a batch I am making. If I am understanding correctly, water has a lower density at higher temperatures. If I pour 1000 g of water at approximately 200* F, am I actually pouring less than 1000 ml? If so, is the difference negligible, or should I pour, say, 1004 g instead?
 View Profile Link to this post
JonR10
JonR10
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: E61 Legend, Livietta,...
Grinder: Robur, B-Vario-W
Vac Pot: Hario Tabletop, Yama...
Drip: Technivorm
Roaster: 1-lb US Roaster, Behmor 1600
Posted Wed Feb 6, 2013, 8:00pm
Subject: Re: Water temperature, density, and mass

First, the actual change in denisty is not significant until you are waayyy to hot for brewing coffee.

Second, why not measure by weight instead of volume?  It's easy and always accurate.  

Third - taste is what's important.  
If the result is consistent and the coffee tastes good, what else matters?

Jon Rosenthal
Houston, TX
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
AnotherSadDrip

Posted Wed Feb 6, 2013, 8:32pm

JonR10 Said:

First, the actual change in denisty is not significant until you are waayyy to hot for brewing coffee.

Second, why not measure by weight instead of volume?  It's easy and always accurate.  

Third - taste is what's important.  
If the result is consistent and the coffee tastes good, what else matters?

Posted February 6, 2013 link

Fair enough—taste is everything! As to your second point, I do weigh both coffee and water in grams, and it wasn't until I was reading about the SCAA's 60g/liter recommendation that I ever even thought about volume. (I keep getting hung up on this idea that the weight of 1 liter of water is going to differ at different temperatures. Honestly, I've just been a bit bothered by not being able to wrap my head around what seems like it ought to be a fairly simple math problem.) I am going to back to my old ways, as you suggest.
JonR10
JonR10
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: E61 Legend, Livietta,...
Grinder: Robur, B-Vario-W
Vac Pot: Hario Tabletop, Yama...
Drip: Technivorm
Roaster: 1-lb US Roaster, Behmor 1600
Posted Wed Feb 6, 2013, 8:57pm

AnotherSadDrip Said:

...and it wasn't until I was reading about the SCAA's 60g/liter recommendation that I ever even thought about volume.

Posted February 6, 2013 link

Well, it is a guideline rather than a rigid rule.  If you were to brew at 75°C then a liter would be 975g and at 100°C that liter would be 958g for roughly 1.7% change in mass (of course it would be much less of a change from 90°C to 95°C, my usual brewing range).

Personally, I brew around 50 to 55 g/liter in my presspot at work because that ratio usually tastes good to me. I do weigh grounds and water, but when I consider other uncontrollable factors that affect taste then it puts the ratio measurement into better perspective for me.   I shoot for a consistent ratio and temperature and then if it tastes strong to me I can usually adjust by adding a little room temp water at the end  ;-)

Jon Rosenthal
Houston, TX
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
Netphilosopher

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Thu Feb 7, 2013, 10:04am
Subject: ...

AnotherSadDrip

Posted Thu Feb 7, 2013, 6:51pm

Thanks, guys, really helpful stuff. I had calculated approximately 4% difference in volume, which I might have been tempted to "fix", but after reading these posts, I can see why it's not worth it. Grams to grams it is, from here on out.
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Water...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Quick Mill Machines
Free extended warranty & shipping. Enter email for best price / match
espressooutlet.net
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.255352973938)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+