Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Machines and Brewing Methods
Bunn Trifecta MB Owners' Thread
Rocket R58 Double Boiler
Rocket Espresso R58 Double Boiler -  Everything you need for the perfect shot!
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Bunn Trifecta MB...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 27 of 41 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
Socalsteve

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Alex Duetto II
Grinder: Versalab M3, Baratza Vario-W...
Drip: Bunn Trifecta MB
Posted Mon Apr 22, 2013, 6:17am
Subject: Re: Bunn Trifecta MB Owner's Thread

Benraphael510 Said:

Thanks for the feedback. When I ordered the Vario-W, I upgraded to the steel burrs based off what I read on this forum. Those of you with steel-burrs in the Vario-W, are you using the coarsest setting on both micro and macro adjusters? Thanks again.
Ben

Posted April 22, 2013 link

Yeah, pretty much the coarsest settings with the steel burrs....seems to bring out the most flavor. I usually do :45 and either b or c settings...I change up my beans often...I have very eclectic tastes, but have found that most beans respond very well within those parameters.
 View Profile Link to this post
barkingburro
barkingburro

Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Vac Pot: Trifecta MB, CafeSolo,...
Posted Mon Apr 29, 2013, 11:02am

barkingburro Said:

Murphy's Law dictates that I will now start having these problems right after I post this.

Posted April 17, 2013 link

And on the 12th day after my post... problems.

It appears that the pump is no longer able to fill the brew chamber correctly.  The water level changes too slowly, and the pump shuts off close to halfway through the process, leaving 50% or more of the water still in the reservoir.

I tried changing brew chambers and removing the reservoir filter, but that makes no difference.  The air injection and press-out seem to work fine as always.

So I called Bunn's support #, and got silence and then it hung up.  I have not been pleased with their faulty phone system (or mishandling of said system).

I then went to their web page, clicked on support, and then scrolled through a horizontal list of product pictures, that part of the web page advising to select the product for which I want support.  The trifecta MB doesn't even show in the list.

We'll count that as two failed attempts to get customer support.

Attempt #3: I went back to Bunn's home page and selected the trifecta MB, then clicked on support and eventually (and indirectly) found the place where I could contact Bunn.  There was a drop-down with another list of products, where the trifecta finally showed-up.

Murphy's Law Kick-Ass Corollary: If something can go wrong in an even worse way, trust us, it will.  That's right, I had just bought some fresh coffee--purchased twice as much as I had some gatherings planned.  First person who advises me to just brew it manually can s----

**transmission interrupted**

- Michael
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
jbviau
jbviau

Grinder: Preciso / LIDOs
Drip: Trifecta MB / Eva Solo...
Posted Mon Apr 29, 2013, 11:11am

Ack! Sorry to hear it. I usually go straight to the expert, herself, via email. I've spoken to Amanda on the phone in the past as well. Maybe your friends at Portola can hook you up with a loaner?
barkingburro
barkingburro

Posted Mon Apr 29, 2013, 2:58pm
Subject: Easy peasy

Amanda responded right away to my email.  I went ahead and removed the spray head, saw all the fine powder blocking both holes, cleaned them out, and problem solved.

Amanda is also sending me the coveted valve and brewing chamber maintenance kit (extra valves, sprayhead, filter removal tool).

Thank you, Amanda!

[total downtime 4 hours... party saved... burro reputation intact]

- Michael
BOTR

Posted Tue Apr 30, 2013, 6:25am

I'm slowly learning that just about all issues you may run into can be resolved with a good cleaning of all the valves you can access. Any oddball problem I have had has been fixed with a cleaning of the valves, or a quick vinegar soak of all valves.
redkiosk
redkiosk

Espresso: Illy Francis-Francis X1
Grinder: Baratza Preciso w/ Esatto...
Vac Pot: Someday, very intriguing!
Drip: Trifecta MB, Kalita Wave...
Roaster: A sure path to divorce!
Posted Tue Apr 30, 2013, 9:56am
Subject: Re: Easy peasy

barkingburro Said:

Amanda is also sending me the coveted valve and brewing chamber maintenance kit

Posted April 29, 2013 link

Barkingburro/Michael/???

I find it highly unlikely that there is any truth to your claim of being sent one of the elusive Trifecta Seal Kits. Trust me, after weeks of waiting, you WILL be left muttering… WTF, where is it? The mere existence of this item has been discussed for almost a year and it has recently been delegated to the deep abyss called "urban myth". I myself have been on a four-month quest trying to procure one, but to no avail. Three months ago, I found an obscure post on Uzbekistan Home-Bartista, alluding to the fact that one "Bunn Trifecta Seal Kit" was listed in their Buy, Sell and Trade section. Unfortunately, the Google translation for the page referred to the item as "three circus animals with the ability to balance bakery goods on their nose". In late February there was a photograph showing Iran's president Mahmoud Ahmadinejad, holding up what was purported to be "the first Trifecta Seal Kit off Bunn's manufacturing line". My hopes were rising after a 50X blow-up of the photo showed what seemed to be, a collection of check valves and a large black shower head seal in a plastic bag with a Bunn label. But something just didn't look right. It wasn't until five days later that I found the EXACT photograph, but this time Ahmadinejad was holding up "Wendy's first-ever Baconator sandwich". Damn, just another Iranian photoshopped fake! At this year's SCAA in Boston, while standing in line at the Alpha Dominche Steampunk booth, I overheard two hipster's (yes Michael, REAL hipsters) discussing the fact that no one has ever really seen a Trifecta Seal Kit and chalked it up to another example of the coffee industry's "vaporware".

This brings me to you, Barkingburro, Michael or whoever you are. How do we know that you are even real. For all we know, you could be another 13 year-old kid, down in their parents basement popping open another 32 oz. can of Monster Drink wondering "What forum should I troll today?". So excuse me if I don't believe you. But I do have a plan and it's a good one at that. I'm going down to CoffeeCON 2013 this weekend to hijack one of the Trifecta MBs in their Trifecta Lab. You'll find me continuously brewing 12 oz cups until Amanda tells me the kits never existed or presents me with a complimentary one. Ha!

Take care,

Jim

The pathologically precise are annoying, but right!
barkingburro
barkingburro

Posted Tue Apr 30, 2013, 2:41pm
Subject: Re: Easy peasy

Crimson Kiosk/James

The LECHE* have been informed of your activities.  Step carefully, sir.

*League of Extraordinary Caffeinated HEffes

- Michael
barkingburro
barkingburro

Posted Wed May 1, 2013, 7:37pm
Subject: Nice pitcher for trifecta

Been meaning to post this but I keep forgetting.  Crate and Barrel has this real nice small pitcher that I use for the trifecta.  It's also perfect for adding ice cubes and storing iced coffee in the fridge.

here's a link

barkingburro: image.jpg

- Michael
sweaner
sweaner
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Vetrano, Arrarex Caravel, La...
Grinder: Mazzer SJ, OE Pharos
Drip: Bunn Trifecta MB
Roaster: Poppery II
Posted Fri May 10, 2013, 5:38pm
Subject: How to make a Trifecta Fart!

I have been brewing some bourbon barrel conditioned coffee from Ceremony. It has this interesting property when brewed with the Trifecta.

Upon press-out, it makes a very loud farting noise, which no other coffee does!

-Scott
“Coffee - the favorite drink of the civilized world.”
Thomas Jefferson
jbviau
jbviau

Grinder: Preciso / LIDOs
Drip: Trifecta MB / Eva Solo...
Posted Fri May 10, 2013, 8:20pm
Subject: Re: How to make a Trifecta Fart!

Are you sure it's not you, Scott? ;) On a more serious note, I need to try something from that BCS series.
showing page 27 of 41 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Bunn Trifecta MB...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Italian Coffee
Italian coffee beans, grinds and pods from Kimbo, LavAzza, Miscela d'Oro & Bristot. Qty. discounts!
www.espressozone.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.310284852982)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+