Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Machines and Brewing Methods
Upgraded to Freshground beans with no improvement in taste, please help
Cafe Espresso Machines
Video reviews, nationwide installation, leasing options... Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, La Marzocco.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Upgraded to...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 3 of 3 first page previous page
Author Messages
Lee_M
Lee_M
Expertise: I live coffee

Grinder: Baratza Encore
Drip: V60
Roaster: Popper
Posted Mon Feb 11, 2013, 8:08pm
Subject: Re: Upgraded to Freshground beans with no improvement in taste, please help

CMIN Said:

Hario slim works great for coarse needs, I have one as well. That and fresh beans and the Chemex and you'll see a massive improvement in taste. You can go onto youtube and look up how people are using them and tricks etc, think Seattle Coffee Gear has a good video in it with hints.

You may just have to play around with the Hario in the beginning to figure out what setting (click) you need to use.

Posted February 11, 2013 link

If you don't want to spring for a gooseneck kettle (the BonaVita electric kettle would be your best option), you'll get better results with an infusion brewer like an Aeropress or Clever Coffee Dripper than with a pour-over like a Chemex. Which is not to discourage you from pour-overs—you can make great coffee in a Chemex—just be aware that they're not truly the low budget option they're touted as, unless you find a watering can or something that will serve as a makeshift kettle.
 View Profile Link to this post
roach56

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Tue Feb 12, 2013, 6:45am
Subject: Re: Upgraded to Freshground beans with no improvement in taste, please help

Check your thrift stores for water kettles. I just found a really nice one, not a goose neck but I can pour into another receptacle to pour with.
emradguy
emradguy

Espresso: Duetto II; Twist v2
Grinder: M Major, Macap M4 x2, VDD...
Drip: Espro presses; Aeropress
Roaster: H-B "List of Favorites"
Posted Tue Feb 12, 2013, 8:54am

I personally wouldn't discard the idea of using a Chemex just because I can't yet afford a proper pouring kettle.  Like others have said, you can substitute a makeshift acceptable vessel for the time being.  Sure, you'll appreciate a good pouring kettle over that, but until you can afford one, you'll still be able to enjoy good coffee.  Sometimes we (myself included) get caught up in where we've gotten to in terms of equipment, knowledge and enjoyment, and forget that we were reasonably happy with (dare I say) lesser stuff.

Always remember the most important thing is what ends up in your cup!
emradguy
emradguy

Espresso: Duetto II; Twist v2
Grinder: M Major, Macap M4 x2, VDD...
Drip: Espro presses; Aeropress
Roaster: H-B "List of Favorites"
Posted Tue Feb 12, 2013, 4:55pm

here, check this kettle out...

http://coffeegeek.com/forums/members/buysell/615262

Always remember the most important thing is what ends up in your cup!
msboo

Grinder: Baratza Virtuoso, Capresso...
Drip: Technivorm, Bonavita
Posted Tue Feb 12, 2013, 5:05pm

Somebody mentioned using a Clever Dripper---that would be great, I would think easier as a beginner for you than pour over. Using a regular teapot you'd probably obtain more consistent results from the start (don't have to buy a gooseneck). Then again, as for pour over, I did very well when I had no clue as to what I was doing AND was also using a regular teapot----I preheated a glass-lined thermal carafe for 5 mins, measured my water and put on to boil, scooped out my coffee into a Melitta paper filter and filter basket....  I waited apprx 30 seconds off boil then proceeded to pour around slowly to saturate, when water barely covered the grounds I stopped and let it drip down then slowly pour more water, drip and so on til done. Considering how clueless I was at the time that coffee turned out pretty good. It's good to know you can make a good cup with the bare necessities! Today with just bare necessities I would start with a good grinder like Baratza Encore and good beans---you'll be satisfied and happy.
barkingburro
barkingburro

Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Vac Pot: Trifecta MB, CafeSolo,...
Posted Wed Feb 13, 2013, 7:04am

So many people have responded to the question of proper grinding/brewing technique, and only a couple to the question of coffee/roast quality.  So, in the interest of balance, I have a remarkably similar experience to tell.

I was just at the point of upgrading both my brewer and grinder, but wanted to try a higher quality coffee.  So I went to the store and chose a medium dark blend from Peet's coffee.  When I opened up the bag, it smelled harsh.  Not actually foul, just unpleasant.  The resulting brew was no better.

I had a local Peet's shop, so I stopped in and asked them to make me something smooth and flavorful.  The guy behind the counter did a pour-over of a single origin Kenyan or something or other, and guess what?  It tasted extremely harsh--all char and smoke.

Over time, I tracked down a few SOs and blends from a reputable local roaster and a few good internet purveyors, and have acquired a better understanding of my own taste preferences.  Now-a-days, my coffee beans always smell heavenly, and their taste generally follows suit.

Moral of story: find a coffee you like before trying to grind and brew it correctly.

Corollary #1: Not all "better" brands of coffee will taste better.  Quite a few will actually suck.

Corollary #2: Most will disappoint.

- Michael
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
TheSunInsideYou
TheSunInsideYou

Espresso: Breville BES900XL
Grinder: Laranzato HC-600, OE LIDO,...
Vac Pot: Yama 3
Drip: Hario V60, Chemex
Posted Wed Feb 13, 2013, 7:51pm

barkingburro Said:

So many people have responded to the question of proper grinding/brewing technique, and only a couple to the question of coffee/roast quality.  So, in the interest of balance, I have a remarkably similar experience to tell.

I was just at the point of upgrading both my brewer and grinder, but wanted to try a higher quality coffee.  So I went to the store and chose a medium dark blend from Peet's coffee.  When I opened up the bag, it smelled harsh.  Not actually foul, just unpleasant.  The resulting brew was no better.

I had a local Peet's shop, so I stopped in and asked them to make me something smooth and flavorful.  The guy behind the counter did a pour-over of a single origin Kenyan or something or other, and guess what?  It tasted extremely harsh--all char and smoke.

Over time, I tracked down a few SOs and blends from a reputable local roaster and a few good internet purveyors, and have acquired a better understanding of my own taste preferences.  Now-a-days, my coffee beans always smell heavenly, and their taste generally follows suit.

Moral of story: find a coffee you like before trying to grind and brew it correctly.

Corollary #1: Not all "better" brands of coffee will taste better.  Quite a few will actually suck.

Posted February 13, 2013 link

I wouldn't consider Peet's a "better" brand of coffee. It's been my experience that a good roaster will ALWAYS produce a better cup (even when the flavors aren't to my preferences) than a mediocre or poor roaster. Good roasters source better coffees and have the ability and desire to make something good out of it. I've never gotten a bad cup from a high-level roaster like Verve, Ritual, or Stumptown. And there are some roasters that heven't ever supplied me with a good cup (no need to bad mouth too specifically).

And I've never been disappointed by anything I ordered off of GoCoffeeGo.

-Dave-
JasonBrandtLewis
JasonBrandtLewis

Espresso: Elektra T1 - La Valentina -...
Grinder: Mahlkönig K30 Vario -...
Vac Pot: Yama 5-cup
Drip: CCD, Chemex
Roaster: No, no, not another...
Posted Thu Feb 14, 2013, 8:52am

As you've learned by now, a blade grinder is faster than, but no better than, taking a big chef's knife and chopping the beans repeatedly until approximately the right size . . .

Look at "the" list.

A morning without coffee is sleep . . .
dyqik

Espresso: Bezzera BZ07 PM
Grinder: Baratza Virtuoso Preciso...
Vac Pot: Cona D
Drip: Bona-Vita, CCD, Aeropress.
Roaster: Gene Cafe, Modded Poppers
Posted Thu Feb 14, 2013, 9:24am

barkingburro Said:

Posted February 13, 2013 link

Alternative Corollary #1 and #2:  Not everything that claims to be a better brand of coffee actually is.  Particularly if they produce enough volume to be available in every supermarket and to have multiple shops in every city and even more so if they sell anything in a K-cup or pod.
showing page 3 of 3 first page previous page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Upgraded to...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Coffee Kids
Help folks who help folks in coffee producing nations.
coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.311901807785)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+