Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Machines and Brewing Methods
Breville YouBrew
Support Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids is a non profit charity working with farming communities around the world. Donate today!
www.coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Breville YouBrew  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 3 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
cuznvin

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: La Spaziale Mini Vivaldi II
Grinder: MACAP M4 Stepless /Baratza...
Drip: YouBrew
Posted Thu Nov 17, 2011, 11:05am
Subject: Re: Breville YouBrew

I find it perfect for me. I dont even have it set to intense. I think the kind of beans you will use will be a big factor. I have only been making single cups so far. If you brew as strong as possible and use the carafe, you can only make 9 cups.
 View Profile Link to this post
104timberwolf

Expertise: I live coffee

Posted Thu Nov 17, 2011, 11:43am

I did not crank mine up all the way either, and I had a nice dark cup of coffee. With the ability to vary both the amount of coffee dispensed and the steep time, I can't imagine that you could not tailor a cup to fit your tastes. If you have a W-S close by, I would check to see if they have a demo they are running. Our local store got so few in that they did not have a demo available for samples.
cuznvin

Espresso: La Spaziale Mini Vivaldi II
Grinder: MACAP M4 Stepless /Baratza...
Drip: YouBrew
Posted Thu Nov 17, 2011, 11:48am

Plus WS takes back purchases at ANY time.. So if you dont like it, return it..
Xanthos

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Sat Dec 3, 2011, 5:46pm

Any more feedback from users, especially those brewing a full pot using the grinder? I just received a rather unfortunate e-mail from a user saying that his coffee was too weak, even using espresso roast.
ummgood

Posted Thu Dec 15, 2011, 8:38am

I am new to the forum but have some experience with grind and brew machines.    Now I don't claim to be a coffee snob or know that much about coffee.  I do like a decent cup.

I have had two previous grind and brew machines.  The first was our entry level machine which was a Cuisinart which had the blade type grinder.  We didn't mind that machine too much but my biggest issue with it was it was a PITB to clean!!  I hated it.  The grounds would get wet clear up into the grinding chamber and there were lots of small holes and stuff to clean which was a pain.  That machine lasted us a couple years by the time I decided to give up on it.

At this time my work bought a Jura Capresso S7 machine for us to get spoiled.  This machine is awesome.  I unfortunately couldn't get myself to spend 2k on a machine for
myself but it had me longing to buy a nicer coffee machine for home that was 1. easier to clean and 2. had a burr grinder.

So that brings us to the second machine.  Since the Cuisinart was pretty reliable we saw another grind and brew at Costco the DGB-700BC.  Now this machine we got home and I was super excited because it had a burr grinder and second it had a big hopper for the beans and looked like it would be easier to clean.  So we get it home and did the initial setup and tried our first pot of coffee.  It was HORRIBLE.  There were barely any beans in the filter so the coffee was extremely weak.  We returned it and got another one thinking that it was a fluke and low and behold the second coffee maker did the same thing.  Back it went.  Now I was totally turned off by grind and brews because of 1. how hard they are to clean, and 2. the problems with the last one.

So I bought a Capresso Infinity burr grinder and a normal cuisinart coffee maker.  This worked for awhile but it has started overflowing the basket because the "pause" feature no longer works right and won't open all the time when you put the coffee pot into the machine.  My mom was visiting and overflowed the pot 3 times in her one week visit.  This setup lasted us about 2 years and we were happy with it until this happened and my wife got annoyed.  So last week she was looking through the WS gift book thing and saw the YouBrew.  Why do they send that magazine to my house?  It costs me too much money.  I do like when I get dragged down to the store because I like the samples.  (Hmmm is that why I like Costco so much???)  Yes I might be that shallow.

So we go down to WS and see it sitting there in all it's glory.  I think WS has special lights that make stainless steel glow and start some sort of chemical reaction in my brain because when I get down there I all of a sudden don't mind paying $270 for a coffee pot.  Oh isn't it glorious????  Good thing I didn't see the toasters.  So I started asking all my questions (how hard is it to clean, how does the coffee taste, etc...) and turns out they had one that had some just brewed coffee in it.  We tasted it and were satisfied.  I was a bit disappointed they cleaned it already because I wanted to clean it in the store.  They looked at me funny like I was insane but I am an engineer and I have to do these things or I can't sleep at night.

So we decide to get it.  They don't have any in the box!!  What you make me spend an hour in the store eating pumpkin muffins, drinking hot chocolate, eating chocolate peppermint bark, and smelling all those good holiday smells and you don't have what I want!  Oh the horror!!!!  They did offer to box up a floor model that wasn't used.  I did notice that they had a ton of them out of the box.  There were probably 5 out of the box.  Why they need so many out of the box I don't know but my immediate question was could I get a discount.  The answer was YES.  I think I did a happy dance in the store.  Now instead of paying ALOT for a coffee point I was paying ALOT - 10% which is still ALOT.  But I was happy.

So we get the YouBrew home.  We had a small arrival ceremony and then started our first pot.  The coffee is definitely tasty.  I was worried about the weak coffee too after reading reviews but it is good and pretty strong.  We haven't tried the INTENSE setting but for just strong with 12 cups it fills the entire basket up with grinds.  Now I am not that polished and know much about setting the grind and how fine the coffee is so don't ask me those things but this thing definitely grinds enough beans and I think it is pretty strong.  It can't get the coffee as strong as the Capresso S7 at my work but that coffee makes me make funny faces so it is great for me.

Now we have run about 5 pots so far and the coffee is consistent with the 12 cup setting.  We did do an 8 cup setting once and it tasted good.  My only one complaint is one time the gasket on the basket that the grinds are shot into got wedged by the disk that turns to keep moisture out of the hopper.  This caused grounds to go all over inside the back of the machine and was a PAIN to clean.  I think I need to be more diligent about wiping the disc.  We have had 2 pots since that happened so I am keeping a close eye on it.  I will return it if it happens again (plus I might need another sample fix or some Star Wars pancake molds).  So far I am happy.  It is easier to clean than the Cuisinart machines I had and it is nerdy with all the buttons.

There you have it my winded/engineer/coffee newby review of the YouBrew.
nycjdf

Posted Sun Jan 22, 2012, 8:34am

I've had Grind and Brew machines by Cuisinart, Krups, Saeco and they were all total garbage. Poor designs, difficult to get a decent cup of coffee let alone a great cup -- and they all had multiple issues. After reading every review I could, I finally splurged and got the Breville YouBrew after the Saeco disaster. The Breville is in a totally different league -- you can't even compare it. It makes great coffee and is incredibly well designed and solid. After using this machine just a few times, you will know that everything about it was well considered and thought out. As for the noise -- I find it much quieter than any other machine that I had. Any grinder is going to make noise -- the noise generated by the YouBrew is pretty minor. While cleaning takes a little bit of time, it is very easy. Be sure to wipe the little wheel after every use. It takes three seconds to do so. Also be sure after you rinse out the filter unit, that you let it fully dry. Other advice -- pre heat the thermal carafe with really hot water before you use it and also heat up the gold filter. The carafe holds heat really really well. I've been surprised by how long coffee stays nice and warm. All in all -- this machine is WELL worth the money. Don't even bother with the others, you'll be throwing your money out the window. I've had the unit for a month -- fingers crossed that it holds up as well as I think it will.
SR22pilot

Posted Sat Jan 28, 2012, 10:16am

The carafe works well except it has a lot of thermal mass so it needs to be preheated. Since I use the timer I wish the carafe was glass interior which would have less thermal mass and not require preheating. If you brew a 12 cup pot it isn't too bad but at 6 cups it is very noticeable. The grinder grinds coarse. This is my biggest gripe. I really wish it was adjustable. It would also be nice if steep control worked in carafe mode. I understand why it doesn't since it would complicate the mechanism for allowing you to get coffee while a carafe is still brewing. I early like the brew when using reground. Grinders make noise. This one seems reasonable although still loud. Cleanup is a bit of a pain compared to a separate grinder but I doubt you could make it easier. It isn't bad. Just remember that the grounds are blown into the basket so cleanup is more involved than just throwing out a paper filter. BTW, never accidentally brew without a filter. Always put the basket back in or a paper filter. Otherwise, it clogs and coffee and grounds go everywhere. The ability to fill it with water and then select how much to brew is great. I am surprised by how much I love that rather than filling the carafe and the pouring into the maker or trying to fill to some line. The red tab that rises and the beep when the reservoir is full makes refilling it easy. It is big but looks great. The Capresso (never owned one) has adjustable grind size and preheats the carafe. I almost took the Youbrew back to get that bit there were too many negative reviews on Amazon. Now that I know to shift to a stronger bean to offset the grind size I am happier.

The attached file show, in order, Breville Youbrew ground beans, Starbucks Cinnamon preground (yuck), Folgers preground.

SR22pilot: B-S-F (small).jpg
(Click for larger image)
SR22pilot

Posted Sat Jan 28, 2012, 10:19am

Closeup of Breville grind

SR22pilot: Breville (small).jpg
(Click for larger image)
SR22pilot

Posted Sat Jan 28, 2012, 10:21am

Closeup of Folgers Gourmet Supreme at same magnification as earlier Breville pic.

SR22pilot: Folgers (small).jpg
(Click for larger image)
aprokrotke

Espresso: Saeco Aroma
Drip: Breville YouBrew
Posted Wed Feb 1, 2012, 8:54am

I was recently looking at the YouBrew for our office - we have about 10 people, and a few of us (myself included) can be a bit picky when it comes to coffee.  We were getting tired of spending too much time at work grinding and using pour overs, like the Clever - so the YouBrew seemed like a good solution.  I kept reading reviews on this forum before making the plunge, but after it all, we did end up getting the YouBrew.  We have a company blog where we normally post about tech stuff, but I was so thrilled about the machine, I just wrote a full review on the YouBrew - I thought it'd also be a good way to send some info back to the coffee community that helped me make my decision, so here it is:
Breville YouBrew Review

As you can tell, I'm certainly not hiding the fact that everyone at our office, myself included, likes the machine - the review just explains why.  If my opinion changes, I'll definitely post an update.  Thanks everyone for posting their feedback so far - like I said, it really did help me make an informed decision - this forum is awesome.
showing page 2 of 3 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Breville YouBrew  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Donate to Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids works with farming communities around the world, improving lives. Donate today.
www.coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.270490884781)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+