Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Machines and Brewing Methods
Bieltti Moka Express pot cleaning
Donate to Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids works with farming communities around the world, improving lives. Donate today.
www.coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Bieltti Moka...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
MOKADUDE28

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Sat Feb 16, 2013, 9:13pm
Subject: Bieltti Moka Express pot cleaning

I have a question.  I am getting a Moka Express Pot off of ebay and It's used so I would like to know the best way to clean it since I am not the original owner?? I looked online and came across Cameo which is an Aluminum and stainless steel cleaner. Can I use this just to clean it for the first time?? If not can someone give me suggestions as to what to use for the first time in cleaning it?? I know once it's clean I just have to rinse with hot water after I use the pot. Thanks
 View Profile Link to this post
IMAWriter
IMAWriter
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Bezzera Strega
Grinder: Forte, OE Pharos,...
Vac Pot: Adcraft SS, Yama 8 cup
Drip: Brazen, Kalita, Chemex,...
Roaster: Behmor 1600+, CO/UFO combo
Posted Sat Feb 16, 2013, 11:26pm
Subject: Re: Bieltti Moka Express pot cleaning

I would try something like Joe Glo, or first try steaming hot water and some powdered dishwashing detergent. Let stand 2-3 hours, then use a nice stiff bristle brush.

Rob J (LMWDP #187)
My Music Production web site:
www.robertjason.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
MOKADUDE28

Posted Sat Feb 16, 2013, 11:45pm

IMAWriter Said:

I would try something like Joe Glo, or first try steaming hot water and some powdered dishwashing detergent. Let stand 2-3 hours, then use a nice stiff bristle brush.

Posted February 16, 2013 link

wouldn't dishwashing detergent be bad for it?? Would it cuase any damage to the aluminum??thanks
CoffeeRoastersClub
CoffeeRoastersClub
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Vintage La Pavoni Lever...
Grinder: Breville Smartgrind,...
Vac Pot: Vintage Silex, Nicro...
Drip: Technivorm Moccamaster...
Roaster: javaPRO-CRC AIR Fluid Bed...
Posted Sun Feb 17, 2013, 1:52pm

MOKADUDE28 Said:

wouldn't dishwashing detergent be bad for it?? Would it cuase any damage to the aluminum??thanks

Posted February 16, 2013 link

Dishwasher detergent would definitely damage the finish of the aluminum.  Dishwashing soap that comes in the squeeze bottles for hand washing dishes will not as long as it does not have they oxy clean in it.

Len

"Coffee leads men to trifle away their time, scald their chops, and spend their money, all for a little base, black, thick, nasty, bitter, stinking nauseous puddle water." ~The Women's Petition Against Coffee, 1674

Bitcoin Merchant www.CoffeeRoastersClub.com     www.javaPRO-CRC.com
IMAWriter
IMAWriter
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Bezzera Strega
Grinder: Forte, OE Pharos,...
Vac Pot: Adcraft SS, Yama 8 cup
Drip: Brazen, Kalita, Chemex,...
Roaster: Behmor 1600+, CO/UFO combo
Posted Sun Feb 17, 2013, 1:58pm

CoffeeRoastersClub Said:

Dishwasher detergent would definitely damage the finish of the aluminum.  Dishwashing soap that comes in the squeeze bottles for hand washing dishes will not as long as it does not have they oxy clean in it.

Len

Posted February 17, 2013 link

Len, he didn't mention what material the pot was made off. Mine was Stainless steel, and thus no problem with powdered cleaner. I regularly use it to clean my hot pot's insides.
BTW, I've dish washed several aluminum pot tops, and NEVER had a problem with the finish. 4 years, still shiny. YMMV

Rob J (LMWDP #187)
My Music Production web site:
www.robertjason.com
MOKADUDE28

Posted Sun Feb 17, 2013, 2:11pm

Hello. I'm so sorry. The Moka Pot I have is aluminum. What is the best way to remove oxidation, discoloration or buildup from coffee?? Thanks
wabbitt
wabbitt
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: stovetop pots,aeropress
Grinder: skerton, SoloGrind
Drip: melitta cone, chemex
Posted Sun Feb 17, 2013, 2:43pm

MOKADUDE28 Said:

Hello. I'm so sorry. The Moka Pot I have is aluminum. What is the best way to remove oxidation, discoloration or buildup from coffee?? Thanks

Just take the pot apart.  Remove the seal and the inside filter (the seal holds it in) and wash all the pieces by hand with liquid dish soap.  Treat it like a cast iron skillet--like don't scrub with a brillo pad, use a nylon scrub or soft bottle brush.  It's okay to remove the buildup from coffee oils but don't worry about discoloration or oxidation.  You don't need to remove that, in fact, you will build up your own.  It's like building the black petina on a cast iron skillet, only aluminium doesn't turn black like that, just a brownish tint.  Don't make aluminum shiny, you condition the pot by using it.
CoffeeRoastersClub
CoffeeRoastersClub
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Vintage La Pavoni Lever...
Grinder: Breville Smartgrind,...
Vac Pot: Vintage Silex, Nicro...
Drip: Technivorm Moccamaster...
Roaster: javaPRO-CRC AIR Fluid Bed...
Posted Sun Feb 17, 2013, 3:29pm

IMAWriter Said:

Len, he didn't mention what material the pot was made off. Mine was Stainless steel, and thus no problem with powdered cleaner. I regularly use it to clean my hot pot's insides.
BTW, I've dish washed several aluminum pot tops, and NEVER had a problem with the finish. 4 years, still shiny. YMMV

Hello Bob.  Mentioned the differences in dishwasher vs. dishwashing detergent because you were not specific in which one was being recommended, and he in questioning it.   I illustrated the differences because he referenced an aluminum issue.  I dulled and spotted my aluminum brikka in my dishwasher using dishwasher detergent so I wouldn't recommend it with aluminum pots.  Maybe some dishwasher detergents do not cause an issue, but the ones that have a chlorine compound in them certainly may cause an issue.

Len

"Coffee leads men to trifle away their time, scald their chops, and spend their money, all for a little base, black, thick, nasty, bitter, stinking nauseous puddle water." ~The Women's Petition Against Coffee, 1674

Bitcoin Merchant www.CoffeeRoastersClub.com     www.javaPRO-CRC.com
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Bieltti Moka...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Support Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids is a non profit charity working with farming communities around the world. Donate today!
www.coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.37623500824)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+