Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Machines and Brewing Methods
Bodum Santos bad gasket seal
Italian Coffee
Italian coffee beans, grinds and pods from Kimbo, LavAzza, Miscela d'Oro & Bristot. Qty. discounts!
www.espressozone.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Bodum Santos bad...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 3 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
IMAWriter
IMAWriter
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Bezzera Strega
Grinder: Forte, Preciso/Esatto, KyM...
Vac Pot: Adcraft SS, Yama 8 cup
Drip: Brazen, Kalita, Chemex,...
Roaster: Behmor 1600, CO/UFO combo
Posted Mon Feb 25, 2013, 12:14pm
Subject: Re: Bodum Santos bad gasket seal

schalicto Said:

I thought that Yama was a rebranded Hario...

Posted February 25, 2013 link

Not to my knowledge, and who cares. The glass is VERY durable and it makes great coffee.
I believe Evan is spot on here regarding grind. I don't believe you mentioned what you replaced your KA with?
I use my Preciso with Esatto for consistent results.

As Evan mentioned, this type of brewing is SO dependent on the grinder's ability to produce the least amount amount of fines, which is why Mazzers/Macaps, etc are NOT nearly as good as a grinder that was designed for this use. The bonus with the Preciso is it's ability to also do a fine job with espresso grind.

Rob J (LMWDP #187)
My Music Production web site:
www.robertjason.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
schalicto
schalicto
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Saeco Classico
Grinder: Baratza Encore
Vac Pot: Bodum Santos
Drip: Cuisinart Fully Automatic...
Roaster: iRoast 2
Posted Mon Feb 25, 2013, 12:30pm

I'll check the brand on my grinder when I get home.  It's nothing special.  Tragically I don't have the money for a $300 grinder... perhaps there is a hand mill that will yield better results for me?

I should say, I'm learning a ton, and you guys are awesome.  I hope you guys don't mind that I keep asking questions.
 View Profile Visit website Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Link to this post
IMAWriter
IMAWriter

Posted Mon Feb 25, 2013, 12:44pm

schalicto Said:

I'll check the brand on my grinder when I get home.  It's nothing special.  Tragically I don't have the money for a $300 grinder... perhaps there is a hand mill that will yield better results for me?

I should say, I'm learning a ton, and you guys are awesome.  I hope you guys don't mind that I keep asking questions.

No worries!
Baratza, on Thursdays, I believe has sales on refurbed grinders. They carry a full guarantee, and often are trade show grinders.
I believe a Preciso would be around $249 or so?
Make sure you get one with the Updated gearbox, though I've had NO problems with my 1.5 year old Preciso.
The Esatto is something you can add later. It turns the Preciso into a WEIGHT based grinder.
A simple .1 gram scale will give you pretty much all you'll need for consistent results.

EDIT:click here

Rob J (LMWDP #187)
www.robertjason.com
dyqik

Espresso: Bezzera BZ07 PM
Grinder: Baratza Virtuoso Preciso...
Vac Pot: Cona D
Drip: Bona-Vita, CCD, Aeropress.
Roaster: Gene Cafe, Modded Poppers
Posted Mon Feb 25, 2013, 1:09pm

I think that just for vac pot, drip and FP, a Baratza Encore would be almost as good, for a lot less money.  I don't think you need the extra adjustability of the Preciso at those coarser-than-espresso grinds, and you save a ton of money.  Something to investigate, anyway.
 View Profile Link to this post
IMAWriter
IMAWriter

Posted Mon Feb 25, 2013, 1:26pm

dyqik Said:

I think that just for vac pot, drip and FP, a Baratza Encore would be almost as good, for a lot less money.  I don't think you need the extra adjustability of the Preciso at those coarser-than-espresso grinds, and you save a ton of money.  Something to investigate, anyway.

Yep, forgot that one. A fine suggestion.

Rob J (LMWDP #187)
www.robertjason.com

Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: None
Grinder: None
Vac Pot: None
Drip: None
Roaster: None
Posted Mon Feb 25, 2013, 2:36pm

schalicto Said:

Can only speak from personal experience, which unfortunately doesn't include any of the grinders so far suggested.

Have 2 Bodum Santos brewers: far too many Conas of various sizes: and a couple of other makes too.  In the Bodum I use the plastic filters (also work well in a 5 cup Hario).  In the others I use a glass filter.

Use the exact same grind for all of them, produced by a cheap but fairly competent Solis 166 grinder, in my case badged "Dualit" (AKA the Starbucks Barista in the past I think).

It's nothing special. Fairly inexpensive, and probably not suitable for espresso (never tried). Have never had any drawdown problems, and don't adopt any special techniques when using them.

Like some earlier posters, I'd point to the quality of the grind, with too much "dust" clogging things up, rather than any problem with the seal.  It may seem counter-intuitive, but some grinders produce more dust when set to grind coarser than when set to a finer grind.  I'd try something more or less middle of the road, around the drip level.  

For no other reason than to eliminate problems with the brewer itself, you might try some cheap pre-ground filter coffee, and see whether that works.  If it does, that would tend to exonerate the brewer I think.
schalicto
schalicto

Espresso: Saeco Classico
Grinder: Baratza Encore
Drip: Cuisinart Fully Automatic...
Roaster: iRoast 2
Posted Mon Feb 25, 2013, 4:07pm

Thanks for all the great input guys!  My grinder is a Delonghi coffee mill.  It's nothing special, I only use it for vac pot because my drip machine has a built in burr grinder. I added the Baratza Encore to my amazon wish list, but I doubt i'll be able to afford one soon.  The Delonghi is already set pretty middle of the road, maybe a couple clicks more course could help out.  I happen to have a fresh can of terrible maxwell house lying around that I got as a gift (an honest to god gift), I can try and run that through and see the results.
 View Profile Visit website Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Link to this post

Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: None
Grinder: None
Vac Pot: None
Drip: None
Roaster: None
Posted Mon Feb 25, 2013, 4:29pm

Sadly, I think the name "Delonghi" is the key to your problem.  

I suspect messing around with the grind levels on that device isn't going to solve it :o(

I don't think you need to spend as much as $300 either, although I don't know the prices in your part of the world.

You don't need a "great" grinder, just one that's basically competent.
IMAWriter
IMAWriter

Posted Mon Feb 25, 2013, 4:37pm

schalicto Said:

Thanks for all the great input guys!  My grinder is a Delonghi coffee mill.  It's nothing special, I only use it for vac pot because my drip machine has a built in burr grinder. I added the Baratza Encore to my amazon wish list, but I doubt i'll be able to afford one soon.  The Delonghi is already set pretty middle of the road, maybe a couple clicks more course could help out.  I happen to have a fresh can of terrible maxwell house lying around that I got as a gift (an honest to god gift), I can try and run that through and see the results.

Replace your grinder. Therein prolly lies your issues.

Rob J (LMWDP #187)
www.robertjason.com
johnnyb3

Grinder: Baratza Maestro Plus refurb
Drip: Chemex
Posted Wed Feb 27, 2013, 2:20am

IMAWriter Said:

Replace your grinder. Therein prolly lies your issues.

+1. And in the meantime, I'd suggest grinding finer, not coarser. Non-intuitively, with an inexpensive grinder it seems that typically a coarse grind is far less uniform and actually produces more filter-clogging dust than a finer grind will.
showing page 2 of 3 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Bodum Santos bad...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Barista Tools
Large selection of tampers, pitchers, milk frothers and much more!
www.espressozone.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.355096101761)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+