Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Machines and Brewing Methods
$100-$200 grinder for my espresso and coffee set up
Rancilio Silvia - How to
Step by step guide for easy brewing and steaming with the Rancilio Silvia
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > $100-$200...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
jbrady3324

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Sun Feb 24, 2013, 10:43am
Subject: $100-$200 grinder for my espresso and coffee set up

My set up is as follows

Gaggia Classic Espresso Machine
La Spaziale Grinder (m5 version I believe) - http://www.cafedumonde.co.uk/grinders/top.html or Click Here (www.amazon.com)

I absolutely love the grinder for grinding, however it is hard to clean the inside, big and it is a tad messy. So I would like to down-size to something smaller that is also easier to clean so I can use it for espresso and coffee beans. Or possibly, it might be best to keep this grinder for espresso only?

I am about to purchase the Bonavita BV1800TH 8-cup coffee maker
 View Profile Link to this post
emradguy
emradguy
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Duetto II; Twist v2
Grinder: M Major, Macap M4 x2, VDD...
Drip: Espro presses; Aeropress
Roaster: H-B "List of Favorites"
Posted Sun Feb 24, 2013, 11:13am
Subject: Re: $100-$200 grinder for my espresso and coffee set up

jbrady3324 Said:

My set up is as follows

Gaggia Classic Espresso Machine
La Spaziale Grinder (m5 version I believe) - http://www.cafedumonde.co.uk/grinders/top.html or Click Here (www.amazon.com)

I absolutely love the grinder for grinding, however it is hard to clean the inside, big and it is a tad messy. So I would like to down-size to something smaller that is also easier to clean so I can use it for espresso and coffee beans. Or possibly, it might be best to keep this grinder for espresso only?

I am about to purchase the Bonavita BV1800TH 8-cup coffee maker

Posted February 24, 2013 link

that is a Macap grinder. I'm not sure of the model, but it ought to be on a sticker on the bottom of the machine. You are not going to find anything close to that for your proposed budget, in terms of espresso grind quality.  I think your idea to keep it for espresso only and get something else for other brew methods is a good one.

regarding beans (as I've highlighted in bold) - there's no such thing as espresso beans.  Some roasters use the term espresso roast, but none that I would ever buy from.  Most commercially available espresso roasts are over-charred ashen flavored beans that your typical coffee geek would avoid at all costs. Most CG forum participants tend to stick to full city or full city plus roast for espresso, or even lighter.  Something billed as an espresso blend would be merely a mix of several varietals intended to bring a balanced yet complex cup when extracted via an espresso machine.

Always remember the most important thing is what ends up in your cup!
jbrady3324

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Sun Feb 24, 2013, 11:58am

emradguy Said:

that is a Macap grinder. I'm not sure of the model, but it ought to be on a sticker on the bottom of the machine. You are not going to find anything close to that for your proposed budget, in terms of espresso grind quality.  I think your idea to keep it for espresso only and get something else for other brew methods is a good one.

regarding beans (as I've highlighted in bold) - there's no such thing as espresso beans.  Some roasters use the term espresso roast, but none that I would ever buy from.  Most commercially available espresso roasts are over-charred ashen flavored beans that your typical coffee geek would avoid at all costs. Most CG forum participants tend to stick to full city or full city plus roast for espresso, or even lighter.  Something billed as an espresso blend would be merely a mix of several varietals intended to bring a balanced yet complex cup when extracted via an espresso machine.

Posted February 24, 2013 link

Thanks for the info. I think I will stick with the Madcap grinder for espresso and purchase a smaller burr grinder for the Bonavita. Any suggestions for a grinder that will compliment the Bonavita?
emradguy
emradguy
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Duetto II; Twist v2
Grinder: M Major, Macap M4 x2, VDD...
Drip: Espro presses; Aeropress
Roaster: H-B "List of Favorites"
Posted Sun Feb 24, 2013, 4:00pm

I'm not the best guy to answer this one, unless you'd consider a hand grinder.  I pretty much used completely inadequate grinders until I got into espresso, which led me into the realm of grinders that are excellent for espresso, but not so much for press.  I honestly haven't made drip coffee for several years now, and the last few times it was for my Mom when she came to visit. It's been more than a decade since I made drip for myself.  I have a Solis 166 (Starbuck's barista) grinder that I really don't like for anything (I should probably give it to someone who thinks their whirlybird bean hacker is a grinder).  The hand grinders I have are a Hario Skerton, which I intend to mod for press (so I haven't used it yet - and will probably give that away too eventually), and an OE Lido.  I love the Lido for presses (Aeropress, Espro press and regular ol' French).  I would expect it to do very well for the Bonavita drip too, but it's $165 before shipping and you'd have to want to do the manual grind thing.  I grind single serve occasionally at work, so it's not a big deal to me to use the Lido.  It takes me almost a full minute to do a single serve press at a dose of about 20-22g.  If you prefer electric, you might want to consider a Baratza Encore or Virtuoso (but I haven't used either one).  Hopefully, you'll get some more replies, but you might have better luck with a new thread dedicated to grinding for the Bonavita?

Always remember the most important thing is what ends up in your cup!
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > $100-$200...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Support Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids is a non profit charity working with farming communities around the world. Donate today!
www.coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.248926877975)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+