Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Machines and Brewing Methods
Kalita Wave - Methods
Rancilio Silvia - How to
Step by step guide for easy brewing and steaming with the Rancilio Silvia
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Kalita Wave -...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 2 first page previous page
Author Messages
Catallus

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Tue Nov 20, 2012, 7:13am
Subject: Re: Kalita Wave - Methods

I went finer - now I'm more or less at the same settings as I use with my V60. The cup is a lot better than it was when I had it at the medium-coarse settings. Though I feel like it's still not the cup I want it to be.

Do you pre-wet the filter before dumping in the grinds?
How much water do you dump for each pulse? and how long do you wait until in between pulse pours?
 View Profile Link to this post
Sam21

Grinder: Baratza Virtuoso, LIDO,...
Vac Pot: Siphon, Aeropress, CCD
Drip: Kalita Wave, Beehouse,...
Roaster: Hottop KN-8828B-2K
Posted Tue Nov 20, 2012, 7:51am

Catallus Said:

I went finer - now I'm more or less at the same settings as I use with my V60. The cup is a lot better than it was when I had it at the medium-coarse settings. Though I feel like it's still not the cup I want it to be.

How much water do you dump for each pulse? and how long do you wait until in between pulse pours?

Posted November 20, 2012 link

I do pre-wet my filter. I just fill it all the way to the top and let it drain. It's hard to say how much I pulse each time, but it's right around 30ml I'm assuming. I go with the flow in every sense of the word. I start in the middle and slowly spiral out to the edges. I let it drain a bit and then continue. Some coffees are dustier than others and will slow the drawdown more, so sometimes I have to adjust my pouring speeds on the fly to compensate in order to get more water in the dripper and still hit my time.

Overall, it's all about experimenting. Nick Cho's videos are a great starting point. The amount of spirals, the amount of water each time, etc. really are just minor details. When I focused too much on each detail, I made it way harder than it needed to be. What about the cup still does not appeal to you? What are you comparing it to?

The Kalita will not make a cup that is noticeably better than another dripper, IMO, but it will make an excellent cup with very little effort or attention paid to detail. I think that ease of use is why many love it! In the end, it's going to be subtlety that makes one fall in love with it. Personally, I have made some of the sweetest and balanced cups with my Kalita, but I definitely had to just build on the experience of each cup and make little tweaks here and there.

Good luck!
Catallus

Posted Sun Feb 24, 2013, 8:39am

Sam,

Do you tare after you bloom? I tried your ratio of  24g/360ml in my 155 and I didn't tare after pre-infusing with ~50ml and it was a wonderful cup.
Sam21

Posted Sun Feb 24, 2013, 11:30am

Catallus Said:

Sam,

Do you tare after you bloom? I tried your ratio of  24g/360ml in my 155 and I didn't tare after pre-infusing with ~50ml and it was a wonderful cup.

Posted February 24, 2013 link

My ratio is 60g/1L, so I typically make a 18g/300ml or 21g/350ml cup for myself. With 24g I would want 400ml total. I do not tare after pre-infusion and try to pre-infuse twice the weight of the coffee. So for 18g, shoot for between 30-40ml pre-infusion and don't tare the scale.
roach56

Posted Mon Feb 25, 2013, 7:05am

Catallus Said:

Posted November 20, 2012 link

What setting did you end up using, I have the same grinder.
Sam21

Posted Mon Feb 25, 2013, 9:56am

roach56 Said:

What setting did you end up using, I have the same grinder.

Posted February 25, 2013 link

I don't have an answer for the question you are asking Catullus, but I can add some advice on dialing in a grind. Keep the time goal consistent and the pouring consistent. When you have that, you can adjust the grind for proper extraction. By controlling the time of the pour through pulse pouring, the grind can be adjusted for extraction.

Verve has a great video on dialing in a grind for a V60 on their blog - the same idea can be applied for the Kalita.

Happy brewing!
showing page 2 of 2 first page previous page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Kalita Wave -...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Quick Mill Andreja
Best bang for the buck in E-61 Espresso Machines.  In stock, free shipping, 2 yr warranty!
cupandbrew.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.29835486412)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+