Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Machines and Brewing Methods
Bunn Trifecta MB Owners' Thread
Green Unroasted Coffee
Free shipping. Save 15% on variety pack, use 'variety' at checkout
www.madbeanscoffee

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Bunn Trifecta MB...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 41 of 47 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
Socalsteve

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Alex Duetto II
Grinder: Versalab M3, Baratza Vario-W...
Drip: Bunn Trifecta MB
Posted Sat Apr 12, 2014, 10:39am
Subject: Re: Bunn Trifecta MB Owners' Thread

Thank you all for your suggestions and tips!

I will try them and report back.

Steve
 View Profile Link to this post
sweaner
sweaner
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Vetrano, Arrarex Caravel, La...
Grinder: Mazzer SJ, OE Pharos
Roaster: Poppery II
Posted Thu May 1, 2014, 6:08pm
Subject: My MB is Sick!!

Well, I think that there is something seriously wrong with my MB. She may need hospitalization. :-(

Starting today, water started draining out of the brew valve during the brew. Thinking that this was simply a dirty valve, I started with that, but cleaning, replacing,and using my other chamber did not help. I also cleaned the valves in the brew head.

What seems to be happening is that starting with the water entering the chamber, air is also entering as would happen with press-out. Also, the agitation is not functioning correctly. It is as if the air is not being diverted properly. I will try to make a video documenting the problem later tonight.

-Scott
“Coffee - the favorite drink of the civilized world.”
Thomas Jefferson
sweaner
sweaner

Posted Thu May 1, 2014, 8:33pm
Subject: Re: My MB is Sick!!

Here is the link to the video.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=3jFJLpzby2Y

-Scott
Thomas Jefferson
richberman
richberman

Espresso: krups
Grinder: DeLonghi
Drip: krups moca
Roaster: i-roast
Posted Fri May 2, 2014, 6:00am

Scott,
I don't know what's wrong with your trifecta, but ours is working great.  So is our new Hario vacuum pot beam heater.  Maybe you'd like to stop in to check it out and get your fix?
Best,
Rich
jbviau
jbviau

Grinder: Preciso / LIDOs
Drip: Trifecta MB / Eva Solo...
Posted Fri May 2, 2014, 5:08pm

Scott, you're a doctor. Fix that thing! ;) Sorry to hear about this.
sweaner
sweaner

Posted Sat May 3, 2014, 5:26am

Bunn is sending out a replacement. They feel that it is an internal valve that can't be fixed in the field. As I am a neurologist, I was able to make a diagnosis, but not able to cure, as is typical!

Fortunately, I have many back-up coffee making devices. The Impress has been called off the bench, and is doing well.

-Scott
Thomas Jefferson
redkiosk
redkiosk

Espresso: Illy Francis-Francis X1
Grinder: Baratza Preciso w/ Esatto...
Vac Pot: Someday, very intriguing!
Drip: Trifecta MB, Kalita Wave...
Roaster: A sure path to divorce!
Posted Sat May 3, 2014, 2:55pm

Scott,

Mine did something very similar to that a few weeks back. I know it was caused by something I did, because it started right after I forgot to add water and hit the brew button. While it was pulling in "air" and right after I said "Oh $h!t!" I started pouring the water in. It only drew in about a third of the water and then started brewing with the lesser amount. Another "Oh $h!t!" and I decided to push the button to abort that brew. That's when the problem started. With every brew after that, the agitation sounded different and it was pressing out coffee during the brew cycle. I too was ready to give Amanda a call thinking I got it caught between two brewing "cycles".

Since I only brew 12oz cups, my usually fix for extra water occasionally dripping out of the brew head as the tank heats up is to run a few back-to-back 6 or 8 oz water only cycles. I did that and it solved the problem. Those 5 am coffee brews are always a blur. I'm not awake yet and I need to brew two cups (wife and I) and also feed the dogs. That wasn't the first time I forgot to add water and hit the brew button, but it was the first time I decided to add the water while it was sucking air. I really don't know how anyone can do a timed pour-over early in the morning. I can't even get it right with just pushing a button! Take care!

Jim

The pathologically precise are annoying, but right!
aberlucc

Posted Sun May 4, 2014, 12:56pm

I am a very new Trifecta owner and can't seem to get the coffee quite right.  I just bought some decent Kona beans and the coffee from the Trifecta seems pretty bitter.  I have a Rancilio Rocky and set it on 32 grind.  I set the Trifecta to 45 seconds C turbulence.  I also tried with some beans from Kenya and had the same experience so I know it is something I am screwing up.  I tend to like coffee a little bitter(always black) but this is too much.  Any help would be appreciated.
sweaner
sweaner

Posted Sun May 4, 2014, 7:38pm

How much coffee are you using, and how much water. Bitter often means that the temp is too high, but this should not happen with the Trifecta.

How fresh is the coffee? How dark is it roasted?

-Scott
Thomas Jefferson
redkiosk
redkiosk

Espresso: Illy Francis-Francis X1
Grinder: Baratza Preciso w/ Esatto...
Vac Pot: Someday, very intriguing!
Drip: Trifecta MB, Kalita Wave...
Roaster: A sure path to divorce!
Posted Thu May 8, 2014, 3:35am

Hi aberlucc,

Welcome to the Trifecta club! How much coffee are you using? I'm thinking not enough and it is being over extracted. I too was getting bitter tasting coffee at first until I upped the dosage. Depending on the coffee, my usual range for a 12 oz brew is 25.7 g to 27.3 g. Time-wise I'm usually in the "C" range, but occasionally venture into "B" or "E". I recently helped a buddy set up his new Trifecta and just went with 26.3 g from a Baratza Virtuoso set at 24. The first cup blew him away. The first cup from mine a couple of years ago with their recommend amount (something like 24g) and it too was bitter. I kept increasing the amount until I hit the sweet spot and all was good after that. Every new coffee needs some tweaking, but most I've brewed, fall within that range. Once you find the correct dosage you will be able to consistently get the same great-tasting cups from the same coffee. Hope this helps and please continue to ask questions. Take care!

The pathologically precise are annoying, but right!
showing page 41 of 47 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Bunn Trifecta MB...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Find the Right Machine...
Package deals on the best machines from Izzo, Quick Mill, Rocket, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.264430046082)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+