Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Machines and Brewing Methods
Cuisinart DCC-1200 Brew Central simple mod for better coffee
Learn @seattlecoffeegear
Learn all about coffee, watch videos, read how-to articles.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Cuisinart...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
PhillyRick

Posted Mon Dec 17, 2012, 6:01pm
Subject: Cuisinart DCC-1200 Brew Central simple mod for better coffee

My own temperature measurements with my Cuisinart DCC-1200 provided results very similar to those of Kross (posted in April): a plateau of about 180-185 F, with the water temperature rising into the ideal range only during the last minute or two.

I examined the construction of the unit, and observed that the water is carried from the heating element to the top through a narrow plastic tube that passes through the water tank.  Perhaps insulating this tube would increase the water temperature at the brewing head, and improve the coffee.

Digging into my collection of food-grade plastic tubing (incidental to my home brewing), I found a piece with about 3/8 in inside diameter, cut it to 6 in (15 cm), and slit it longitudinally with a small V at one end (to make threading it onto the water supply tube easier).  After several tries, I succeeded, and filled the water reservoir for a test.

To measure the water temperature, I used a CDN digital cooking thermometer whose tip was inside a reservoir made from a 15mL coffee scoop, which in turn was fastened with elastic bands under the spray head.  This minimized the moment-to-moment temperature variations as the unit burbled along.

With 12 cups of water in the reservoir (starting temperature 55 F), the water at the spray head reached 195 F in 6.5 minutes, and stayed between there and 205F until the last minute (11), when steam began to escape.

With 8 cups of water in the reservoir (starting temperature 70 F), the temperature at the spray head reached 195 F at 4.5 minutes (194.5 at 4 min), and stayed between there and 205 F until steam began spurting at 8 minutes.

So, a minor modification of the DCC-1200 improves the brewing temperatures; and yes, the coffee it makes is better too.

Rick
 View Profile Link to this post
PhillyRick

Posted Sat Jan 12, 2013, 10:45am
Subject: Re: Cuisinart DCC-1200 Brew Central simple mod for better coffee

P.S. If anyone tries this, please let me know the results!

Rick
kross

Expertise: I like coffee

Posted Thu Feb 28, 2013, 3:51pm

I'm glad to see someone replicated my results with the Cuisinart.  I also thought about insulating that tube, but never bothered.  Instead I bought a Technivorm. :)

Thanks for sharing the results of your experiment!

-- Kevin
PhillyRick

Posted Fri Mar 1, 2013, 7:23am

Hi Kevin,

What surprises me is that over 520 people have read that post, but nobody has reported trying the mod.

Occasionally I check the temp in the grounds with our usual 6-8 "cup" (1-1.3L) batches.  From about halfway into the brew cycle on, they're consistently 195-197F, starting with ~60F water this time of year.

I wouldn't mind one bit having a Technivorm; but my frugal New England soul squirms at spending all that money when we have a serviceable coffeemaker already.  Maybe for my birthday...

Rick
msboo

Expertise: I love coffee

Grinder: Baratza Virtuoso, Capresso...
Drip: Technivorm, Bonavita
Posted Fri Mar 1, 2013, 9:28am

"Pimp My Brewer"!  I read your post a while back, was amazed. I was just getting into all the info here so didn't comment at that time. When brewing your usual 6-8 cups, what's the brew time (extraction), coffee and grind are you using?  (read your timing for water heating to brew temp for 8 cups @ 4.5 mins and "until steam began spurting at 8 minutes")

Becky
PhillyRick

Posted Fri Mar 1, 2013, 10:05am

The DCC-1200 takes a fairly predicable 1 minute per "cup".  I have a Krups whirly grinder (I know... but the uniformity is surprisingly good) and grind for 15-20 sec, which gives something on the fine side of "drip" on the big grinders at Whole Foods.  

I've been experimenting with several coffees lately, from Philly roasters.  My favorites so far are Burlap & Bean Peru la Florida (regular) and Coffee Scoop Kimodo Decaf.  Old City Coffee's Balzac (regular) and San Francisco Decaf (CO2 processed) are also lovely, but hard for me to get.

Rick
msboo

Posted Fri Mar 1, 2013, 10:30am

Guess if you've been 'whirly' grinding for a while you've sort of perfected it in your own way. I was told when grinding with a whirly, you need to shake the grinder while grinding for a more consistent grind. I just got a Virtuoso and it seems I need to grind much finer for my Bonavita drip---even at 20 it's way too coarse.

Since your Cuisinart mod has worked so well, why not get a better grinder before investing in a brewer---if/when you decide to drop some $$ on coffee gear.
PhillyRick

Posted Sat Mar 2, 2013, 11:42am

Becky,

Well, I've been thinking about a grinder, too.  I have no desire to make espresso, and I don't want to spend big bucks.  Finding a well-reviewed grinder that doesn't choke on dark beans (we're fans of French roast) is a challenge.  Might post a query on that.

Rick
msboo

Posted Sat Mar 2, 2013, 8:56pm

Hey Rick,

I'm sure you've seen Baratza grinders mentioned here. Great quality and customer service is top notch. Searching/posting here about that will provide you with lots of helpful comments for your own grinder needs. I did my research but posting here helped me narrow things down and confirmed my decision with no regrets. We're not espresso drinkers at our house, only auto-drip. I do, however, have a couple of french presses I've not used in years. I plan on getting a Clever Dripper (brews like press but drips out in the end) so will need to grind coarser for that, just like French Press. A good grinder makes all the difference.

Becky
PhillyRick

Posted Sun Mar 3, 2013, 11:26am

Becky,

I'm going to try to pick up a Breville conical burr grinder this afternoon.  Apparently the Baratza Encore chokes on French roast or darker, and we really like French roast.

Rick
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Cuisinart...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Support Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids is a non profit charity working with farming communities around the world. Donate today!
www.coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.236710071564)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+