Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Machines and Brewing Methods
Bonavita BV1800TH and Baratza Encore grind settings starting point
Cafe Espresso Machines
Video reviews, nationwide installation, leasing options... Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, La Marzocco.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Bonavita...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
jbrady3324

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Wed Feb 27, 2013, 3:27pm
Subject: Bonavita BV1800TH and Baratza Encore grind settings starting point

Can anyone provide a starting point for grinder settings for this combination? I will be using a swiss gold filter and brown paper filters depending on my mood. My understanding is the gold filter requires a coarser grind

I am very familiar with brewing espresso with my gaggia classic and I have that dialed in perfectly. How do I tell if my coffee is brewing correctly? Time+taste as a starting point similar to espresso?
 View Profile Link to this post
Lee_M
Lee_M
Expertise: I live coffee

Grinder: Baratza Encore
Drip: V60
Roaster: Popper
Posted Thu Feb 28, 2013, 9:48am
Subject: Re: Bonavita BV1800TH and Baratza Encore grind settings starting point

On my Encore I'm usually in the 11-13 range for drip. Your grinder might be slightly different, though. More importantly, you should taste the coffee and judge whether it's over or underextracted, just as you would for espresso. The gold filter will only require a coarser grind if you're getting an unacceptable amount of sediment.
jbrady3324

Posted Thu Feb 28, 2013, 11:24am

Lee_M Said:

On my Encore I'm usually in the 11-13 range for drip. Your grinder might be slightly different, though. More importantly, you should taste the coffee and judge whether it's over or underextracted, just as you would for espresso. The gold filter will only require a coarser grind if you're getting an unacceptable amount of sediment.

Posted February 28, 2013 link

11-13 seems low? I believe the encore instructions state 15+ is for drip. I did a brew at #20 today and it was a little watery so going lower does make sense.
msboo

Grinder: Baratza Virtuoso, Capresso...
Drip: Technivorm, Bonavita
Posted Fri Mar 1, 2013, 10:43am

I just got a Virtuoso and also have a Bonavita (using paper filters). Even with the differences in Encore and Virtuoso, I'm having the same experience. I started out on 20, 18 was better BUT need to go lower. I'm starting to wonder IF my grinder was properly calibrated at the factory. I can still go finer but wonder.
Lee_M
Lee_M
Expertise: I live coffee

Grinder: Baratza Encore
Drip: V60
Roaster: Popper
Posted Fri Mar 1, 2013, 1:11pm

It's possible that my grinder is mis-calibrated. However, it's been my experience that anything over 14 leads to very fast drainage times.

I'd suggest trying grinding finer and finer until you start getting harsh bitterness, then taking it back a notch or two.
jbrady3324

Posted Fri Mar 1, 2013, 2:08pm

msboo Said:

I just got a Virtuoso and also have a Bonavita (using paper filters). Even with the differences in Encore and Virtuoso, I'm having the same experience. I started out on 20, 18 was better BUT need to go lower. I'm starting to wonder IF my grinder was properly calibrated at the factory. I can still go finer but wonder.

Posted March 1, 2013 link

I think we are definitely in the same boat, but I think Lee might be right. I grinded at 13 today and the coffee was much better than 20. A tad bitter, so maybe 14 is my sweet spot. Luckily I get my intelligentsia coffee whole sale, so I am going to do some experimenting this weekend, but I think Lee's range is right. I think... I did not time the brew.. I should have.
msboo

Posted Fri Mar 1, 2013, 6:39pm

I need to order some coffee from Intelligentsia. Was in Fresh Market yesterday and saw 2-3 different varieties from Intelligentsia on the shelf, along with some Counter Culture. Was surprised and wanted to buy so I checked the roast dates---all were little over a month old (past roast date) so I passed. I then saw a store clerk pouring a large bag of beans into one of several bins of beans sold as their store brand roasted coffee beans. Curious (but not interested in bins o'beans), I asked her who did their roasting--she didn't know but was more than glad to inquire for me. Fews minutes later she told me they couldn't reveal the roaster, that it was confidential. Just wish the Intelligentsia and Counter Culture had been fresh.

I'll be messing around with my grind settings this weekend as well. I'm so thankful for others' comments, very helpful. This forum is kinda like a Coffee Gear Therapy group. When frustrated you know you're not alone.

Happy Grinding, Becky
msboo

Posted Sat Mar 2, 2013, 11:19am

Grind setting 16 (Virtuoso) was better this morning. Next pot will try grind @ 15, see how that goes.
jbrady3324

Posted Sat Mar 2, 2013, 2:02pm

I tried 14 today and I think that is the sweet spot for me.

Now I need to figure out what is best for french press
msboo

Posted Mon Mar 4, 2013, 9:39am

Well 15 was bitter so 16 is my drip setting.

JBrady....  when I get a Clever Dripper I'll be trying to find a good coarse setting too, like for French Press.
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Bonavita...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Find the Right Machine...
Package deals on the best machines from Izzo, Quick Mill, Rocket, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.334836959839)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+