Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Machines and Brewing Methods
Grinding... my teeth!
Rocket R58 Double Boiler
Rocket Espresso R58 Double Boiler -  Everything you need for the perfect shot!
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Grinding... my...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
PhillyRick

Posted Mon Mar 4, 2013, 9:27am
Subject: Grinding... my teeth!

So, yesterday I picked up a Breville conical burr grinder--well reviewed, and reportedly able to grind dark roasts without choking.

Got it home, washed the bits, re-assembled, and ran 50g of beans through on the finest grind, as instructed.  No problems.

Washed the bits again, and ground 100g in the middle of the "drip" range.  Hmm... rather coarse, and the coffee was under-extracted.

Next pot, turned the grind to the fine end of the "drip" range.  No visible change in the grind, or in the taste of the coffee.

This morning, turned to the coarse end of the "espresso" range.  Still coarse, still under-extracted.

Next pot, to the middle of the "espresso" range, but the hopper is jammed: it won't turn either right or left, and no amount of gentle 'suasion will budge it.  The grinder still runs, but I'm not going to waste more coffee on another crappy coarse grind.

So, the shop where I bought it (Kitchen Kapers) will have a replacement waiting for me Saturday (the next free time I have), and I'm back to my trusty whirly Krups in the meantime.

One more problem:  static.  Pouring the ground coffee out of the little box into the coffeemaker sent grounds ~everywhere~, a little dark-brown blizzard in that corner of the kitchen.  There was some spousal amusement the first time, but not subsequently, even though I did all the clean-up.

I'm not sure this adventure is going to turn out well.

Rick
 View Profile Link to this post
msboo

Expertise: I love coffee

Grinder: Baratza Virtuoso, Capresso...
Drip: Technivorm, Bonavita
Posted Mon Mar 4, 2013, 9:50am
Subject: Re: Grinding... my teeth!

Oh so sorry you've had that experience---hope the replacement works out a lot better. I've seen the Breville grinder mentioned here but don't know much about it myself. I also wasn't aware that any of the Baratzas would "choke" when grinding French Roast.

I know how much I want my coffee every morning so hang in there. At least you still have your handy whirly grinder for back up.
Iluvdabean
Iluvdabean
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: La Nuova Era Cuadra/Gaggia...
Grinder: Baratza Preciso/K-A Pro...
Drip: Bonavita BV 1800 TH
Roaster: Nesco 1010/Behmor 1600
Posted Mon Mar 4, 2013, 7:59pm

Brevilles in general have the stigma of machines with issues,wether its a grinder or an espresso machine. They have really
never enjoyed an image of machines of quality.
I hope your journey is a good one.

msboo Said:

Oh so sorry you've had that experience---hope the replacement works out a lot better. I've seen the Breville grinder mentioned here but don't know much about it myself. I also wasn't aware that any of the Baratzas would "choke" when grinding French Roast.

I know how much I want my coffee every morning so hang in there. At least you still have your handy whirly grinder for back up.

Posted March 4, 2013 link

View Profile Contact via ICQ Link to this post
kross

Expertise: I like coffee

Posted Mon Mar 4, 2013, 8:49pm

I also have a Breville grinder, the Smart Grinder.  I like it a lot.  I don't know which model you have, but with mine I have no problem getting a very fine grind.

A couple of things to check.  First, is the nut tight that holds the lower burr in place?  It's a left-hand thread, meaning you turn it counter-clockwise to tighten it.

Also, the upper burr is locked into place?  It needs a quarter turn clockwise, until the arrows line up.

If those items check out, hopefully the replacement will be better.

-- Kevin
CMIN

Espresso: Crossland CC1
Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Posted Mon Mar 4, 2013, 9:03pm

Breville Smart Grinder is a good coarse grinder, they have a few lower models, so not sure which one you have. Though for great coarse needs, can't really beat the Baratza Encore.
kross

Posted Mon Mar 4, 2013, 9:05pm

I may have been a little unclear in my post.  I meant to say that I have no problems getting a very fine grind for drip coffee.  I don't make espresso at home.  But for drip coffee, I can easily grind it way too fine than ideal, so PhillyRick shouldn't have a problem (for drip coffee).
PhillyRick

Posted Tue Mar 5, 2013, 7:52am

Got it unjammed last night with a little less gentle 'suasion.  It did okay last night and this morning.

A puzzling thing is that the upper burr doesn't lock in place--it just sits there; but it did that even before it jammed, and is grinding fine now.

Rick
kross

Posted Tue Mar 5, 2013, 1:57pm

Weird about the upper burr.  You obviously have a different model of Breville than I do.

Glad you got it worked out!
-- Kevin
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Grinding... my...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Commercial Equipment
Nuova Simonelli, La Marzocco, Rancilio. Nationwide installation. Instant financing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.248119831085)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+