Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Machines and Brewing Methods
Drip machine with built in grinder
Saeco Espresso Machines
Large selection in-stock, includes Free Gifts and Free Shipping!
www.espressozone.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Drip machine...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
Myrgthe

Espresso: Ms Silvia
Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Roaster: Generic air popper
Posted Tue Mar 5, 2013, 3:39am
Subject: Drip machine with built in grinder

Greetings coffee geeks! After lurking here for several years, I decided to post since my question is so specific and see if I get any ideas.

I'm currently in the United States visiting my father. The coffee at the house is beyond dreadful. In order to survive, I have a Hario mini mill and Handpresso for shots and use his (*shiver*) blade grinder plus my Aeropress for a morning cup. He's starting to taste that the ashy, dishwater he calls coffee has a lot of room for improvement, but unless the coffee falls out of the sky into his lap - he won't put any more effort into the process than he is now. (Commercially roasted coffee, blade grinder, Mr. Coffee drip machine)

I maybe searching for an impossible animal, but here is my wish list:

In summary - Decent drip machine with built in burr grinder

Feature wish list
  • Hottest brew temperature, but still within the range of a decent brew (My dad wants to scald his tongue.....)
  • Single cup brewing (Mom drinks tea)
  • If single cup is not possible, thermal carafe
  • Reasonable price

An "obvious" answer would just be to buy him a capsule machine. The problem is the old man will start obsessing on the per-cup price and end up reverting back to his current method.

My brother and I would like to chip in together and get him set up properly, but obviously don't want to break the bank.

Something like Cuisinart DGB-625BC for $95 sounds too good to be true, but does anyone have any experience with these types of machines?

Thanks in advance for the assistance.
 View Profile Link to this post
CMIN

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Crossland CC1
Posted Tue Mar 5, 2013, 6:34am
Subject: Re: Drip machine with built in grinder

Only one I've seen with a built in grinder actually getting solid reviews from both users and pros, was the Breville Youbrew but I think its around $250. Neighbor actually has one, works great for drip.
calblacksmith
calblacksmith
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Tue Mar 5, 2013, 7:36am

Coffee TEAM is a fairly good machine.
Like any machine with a built in grinder, stale grinds will be in the grind path from the last brew.

http://www.seattlecoffeegear.com/capresso-coffeeteam-gs

It seems to have been redesigned since I last looked at them. The price is a fair one for what you get.

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
Myrgthe

Espresso: Ms Silvia
Roaster: Generic air popper
Posted Tue Mar 5, 2013, 12:55pm

Thanks for the tips. I've checked them both out and they make me want one for that occasional simple cup of coffee!

I've confused myself even more because his coffee machine "sounds" nice and maybe the horrible quality in the coffee is really everything else besides the machine.
Mr. Coffee

Before buying anything I'm going to try with some better coffee (He's using Starbucks extra-burned super-dark bitter special.. that's the actual name, right?) and tweak the coffee vs water ratio, increase the cups brewed, and maybe clean everything out really well too.

My brother's and my first idea was to just buy him a new grinder, maybe I should stay in that direction. One of the problems there is that my mom is pretty OCD about clean countertops, and I don't think she'll approve of another big machine up on the counter.

My final idea is pretty sneaky. Just buy him a capsule machine and tell him it came with those 300 or so capsules :-p Then every once in a while just buy him a few cases more. They don't have money problems but they get very price tag fixated :D
CMIN

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Crossland CC1
Posted Tue Mar 5, 2013, 2:10pm

Blade grinders suck even for drip or anything coarse. Heck try your Hario with fresh beans and you'll see a big difference, don't know much about that MrCoffee but I know my neighbors Breville Youbrew is temp stable and some nifty features, and I'm sure the Capresso posted above is decent as well. If you want to just keep that machine, you could get a Baratza Encore which rocks for coarse needs. Fresh roasted beans though are a must. Fiances fam thinks Charbucks beans are the greatest thing ever (even storing them in the fridge in those huge costco bags ughhh). Found a roaster by them and bought some beans, they couldn't believe the difference.
kschendel

Expertise: I love coffee

Grinder: Maestro
Roaster: Freshroast
Posted Tue Mar 5, 2013, 2:38pm

We owned the previous version of the Capresso grind-and-brew for years.  It's not a bad machine.  The grind path to the basket was a bit too long, so that the first brew of the day would have a fraction of stale grounds in it, but until you start putting good beans through it you'd never notice.  I think the latest design might be slightly better in that regard.

I agree that the best first step might be to clue him in to decent, fresh, non-burned-out beans.  Otherwise you're just bringing out the ashy taste (ugh).
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Drip machine...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Commercial Equipment
Nuova Simonelli, La Marzocco, Rancilio. Nationwide installation. Instant financing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.228960037231)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+