Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Machines and Brewing Methods
TDS & Distilled Water
Home Espresso Machines
Watch videos with Gail & Kat, Rocket, Jura Capresso, Saeco, Rancilio, Quick Mill, Nespresso
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > TDS & Distilled...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 3 last page next page
Author Messages
squaremile

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Wed Mar 6, 2013, 11:32pm
Subject: TDS & Distilled Water

I had always believed that to get an accurate measure of coffee extraction, I should calibrate my refractometer with my brew water, rather than distilled water. However, everything I read about these things says calibrate with distilled, then take the coffee sample to get your reading. If that is correct, then the TDS reading for my coffee will include any dissolved solids that were already present in the brew water, and that this will be factored into the reading. Can anyone provide guidance on which way this should be since it will massively impact the calculations either way? Thanks in advance.
 View Profile Link to this post
NobbyR
NobbyR
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Poccino Opus One, Ariete
Grinder: Eureka Mignon Istantaneo
Vac Pot: N/A
Drip: Melitta Linea Unica de Luxe
Roaster: N/A
Posted Thu Mar 7, 2013, 3:50am
Subject: Re: TDS & Distilled Water

Is there a significant difference in your readings when you use distilled in contrast to regular brew water?

"This drink of the Satan is so delicious that it would be a shame to leave it to the infidels." (Pope Clement VIII on coffee, when he was urged to ban the beverage)
Netphilosopher

Posted Thu Mar 7, 2013, 8:01am
Subject: .

jpender
jpender
Expertise: I like coffee

Grinder: OE LIDO
Vac Pot: S/S Moka Pot
Drip: Aeropress
Posted Thu Mar 7, 2013, 10:56am

Netphilosopher Said:

More importantly, (talk about burying the lead) the system is calibrated (I assume) for coffee made with standard SCAA water (TDS: 150ppm/Hardness: 60 - 80ppm/Alkalinity: 40 - 80ppm), so this is already accounted for in the calibration curves for index of refraction and coffee concentration with a lab oven dehydrator (the gold standard for determining coffee concentration and TDS).  In other words, it's already baked in, and probably the most important reason to zero with distilled water.

Posted March 7, 2013 link

That's a good point. It wouldn't make any sense to use coffee made with distilled water for calibration purposes as it might differ in important ways other than the water TDS.

Netphilosopher Said:

Keep in mind that IF calcium carbonates/magnesium carbonates/iron/etc. were as responsive to changes of index of refraction as say sugar of coffee (or salt, for that matter), 300ppm implies a variation of 0.03%TDS.

That should be detectable with a VST Lab refractometer. It would be on the order of a 1% error for normal strength coffee or a calculated extraction of, say, 20.2% instead of 20.0%.

I've wondered how much the index of refraction varies with extraction (for a given temperature and concentration). Since extraction is a proxy for the relative amounts of chemicals in solution, the index of refraction might vary measureably, at least for really high/low extractions. It's possible that different types of coffee and roasts have an effect as well.
Netphilosopher

Posted Thu Mar 7, 2013, 12:02pm

jpender
jpender

Grinder: OE LIDO
Vac Pot: S/S Moka Pot
Drip: Aeropress
Posted Fri Mar 8, 2013, 10:48am

Netphilosopher Said:

But again, water hardness and TDS is not as large an effect on index of refraction as salt, sugar, EtOH, or coffee solids.

Oh, okay. It wasn't clear to me since you said 5th (which is true for coffee) to 6th (which would be less) decimal place for nD. I wasn't sure if you were saying it was in between or you didn't know.

By the way, how do you know?
Netphilosopher

Posted Fri Mar 8, 2013, 11:57am

jonr

Posted Tue Dec 24, 2013, 4:09pm
Subject: Re: .

So many deleted postings.  Let me guess - VST has once again been threatening people who simply discuss TDS?
squaremile

Posted Tue Dec 24, 2013, 6:08pm

The answer is that the TDS in your brew water is so minimally different that it would barely effect TDS in the cup at the end if at all. Furthermore, calibrating on distilled water allows for a uniform comparison of numbers across cups as well.
andys
andys

Espresso: Speedster, Londinium 1
Grinder: EK-43,Robur, HG One, M3
Vac Pot: Yama
Drip: various
Roaster: PIDed Popper
Posted Tue Dec 24, 2013, 9:33pm

jonr Said:

So many deleted postings.  Let me guess - VST has once again been threatening people who simply discuss TDS?

Posted December 24, 2013 link

Here's an alternate explanation: so many of Steve's posts violated intellectual property rights that he found it an overwhelming task to edit them all one by one. It was far easier for him to delete them all.

I believe this is closer to what actually happened than what you propose. But obviously it's a free country so you can believe whatever explanation floats your boat.  :)

-AndyS
picture page:  http://flickr.com/photos/andy_s/sets/
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
showing page 1 of 3 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > TDS & Distilled...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Saeco Espresso Machines
Large selection in-stock, includes Free Gifts and Free Shipping!
www.espressozone.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.30872297287)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+