Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Machines and Brewing Methods
Fresh ground coffee smell vs taste
Don't suffer bad espresso
Package deals on the best machines from Izzo, Quick Mill, VBM, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Fresh ground...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
allenkt

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Sat Mar 16, 2013, 4:31pm
Subject: Fresh ground coffee smell vs taste

I've always assumed this isn't possible so I'm going to be upset at all the wasted years if it turns out I'm wrong.  But why is it that my brewed coffee doesn't taste like the coffee smells right when it comes out of the grinder?  I still enjoy the taste but I would enjoy it even more if I could ever get the two flavors to match.

I use fresh roasted beans and grind them in my Virtuoso and depending on the bean, I can smell different flavors.  My favorite is the slightly chocolate smell I get from Guatamalan and my local Hawaiian beans.  However, once brewed I really can't taste those flavors anymore.  I do drink my coffee with heavy cream (but no sugar) because I still can't handle it black (I've tried.....) but even black I didn't taste those flavors.

My current brewing method is with a Chemex and 201 water.  I also have an Aeropress but don't use it because I prefer to fill my 20oz mug and that's much harder to do with an Aeropress.

So is there some secret that I'm missing out on or is it just a sad fact of life that brewed coffee doesn't taste like fresh ground coffee (kind of like the smell of vanilla vs the taste)?  I am open to other brewing methods as well if that's what it takes.
 View Profile Link to this post
squaremile

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Sat Mar 16, 2013, 5:24pm
Subject: Re: Fresh ground coffee smell vs taste

Two things:

1. If you put cream in the coffee you definitely won't taste what you are wanting. So that right there is the obvious answer.

2. You are also conflating smell and taste, which are different senses, even though they are related. Additionally, you are conflating the smell of the grounds with the smell of the brewed coffee. Again, these won't be the same simply because they are different things. Kind of like the difference in smelling cookie dough and then a freshly baked cookie.

My advice is drink black, and then start to take each step as it's own sensory experience. Smell and look at the whole beans, smell the grounds, watch and smell the slurry while brewing, then smell and taste the final product. Each thing has it's own experience that should be appreciated for what it is.
barkingburro
barkingburro

Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Vac Pot: Trifecta MB, CafeSolo,...
Posted Sat Mar 16, 2013, 6:50pm

squaremile Said:

Two things:

If you put cream in the coffee you definitely won't taste what you are wanting. So that right there is the obvious answer.

Posted March 16, 2013 link

False.  Cream can heighten the sense of chocolatey flavor.

- Michael
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
barkingburro
barkingburro

Posted Sat Mar 16, 2013, 6:55pm

allenkt Said:

I use fresh roasted beans ...

Posted March 16, 2013 link

How many days since roast, typically (earliest to latest)?

Have you ever tasted anyone else's coffee that matched with what you were smelling?  What flavors tended to perform well, both smell and taste?

- Michael
allenkt

Posted Sat Mar 16, 2013, 9:30pm

The beans are usually within a week after roasting although I have an unopened bag in the freezer right now because I ended up with too much.  My preferred beans are Ethiopian Yirgachaffee although I can't ever find those here (Hawaii) so I'll have to get some online, taking away some of the freshness.

Probably the closest I've found to matching the flavor to the smell is when I cold brew my coffee using my Toddy.  I can add cream to that and it definitely enhances the chocolate flavor.  Although I've gotten to prefer my coffee hot so I haven't made any cold brew in a while.

I'll brew some more tomorrow and see how the taste is different before adding any cream.  Using the Chemex, I can definitely smell the difference from the grounds once it starts blooming.
barkingburro
barkingburro

Posted Sun Mar 17, 2013, 1:36am

Allen,

You're going to hate this suggestion, so I'm going to bury it in with two others...

1) Try adding a little sugar next time.

2) Right after you add the cream, try adding one ice cube to your cup and taste it repeatedly as it cools.

3) Put a clothespin on your nose, grind the beans, brew the coffee, pour the cup and add the cream, wait three minutes, then remove the clothespin and sniff and drink.

Any success?  Let me know.  And no, I'm not messin' with you.  Although April 1 is only 2 weeks away.

- Michael
allenkt

Posted Sun Mar 17, 2013, 1:46am

barkingburro Said:

Allen,

You're going to hate this suggestion, so I'm going to bury it in with two others...

1) Try adding a little sugar next time.

2) Right after you add the cream, try adding one ice cube to your cup and taste it repeatedly as it cools.

3) Put a clothespin on your nose, grind the beans, brew the coffee, pour the cup and add the cream, wait three minutes, then remove the clothespin and sniff and drink.

Any success?  Let me know.  And no, I'm not messin' with you.  Although April 1 is only 2 weeks away.

Posted March 17, 2013 link

Hmmm.....interesting suggestions.  Number 1 is out because I'm pretty anti-sugar and to be honest, I don't think I even have any sugar in the house.  But I'll try the other two and see what happens.  And what is the point of the clothespin during that entire process?
barkingburro
barkingburro

Posted Sun Mar 17, 2013, 2:28am

allenkt Said:

?..And what is the point of the clothespin during that entire process?

Posted March 17, 2013 link

As one gets more obsessed with comparing the smell of grounds with the taste of coffee, I would expect them to take a good whiff of the grounds always prior to tasting the coffee.

1) You're actually comparing the aroma of grounds with the aroma of coffee, not the taste.  You just think it's taste, but recall how we sense the flavor of an orange -- from the smell, not the taste.

2) Taking a big whiff of grounds first will desensitize you to the second whiff.

- Michael
msboo

Grinder: Baratza Virtuoso, Capresso...
Drip: Technivorm, Bonavita
Posted Sun Mar 17, 2013, 8:44am

I do not like Vienna roast AT ALL---just me, my taste. I drink mostly single origin (med to light roasts) except for a blend carried by our local roaster. It's their best selling blend, which is the only reason I gave it a try because it includes Vienna roast.

First brew while pouring I could smell that Vienna---a turn-off for me. When tasting before adding anything, much to my surprise it tasted nothing like it smelled then only better after adding my usual cream & sugar. Funny but it's the Vienna in this blend that makes it so good! A couple of employees at that roaster rave about this blend too but, like me, are not Vienna fans.

Go figure
CoffeeRon
CoffeeRon

Espresso: Wega Lyra, Europiccola(still...
Grinder: Macap M7D, Pharos, Vario W,...
Vac Pot: Sunbeam CoffeeMaster
Drip: Melita BCM-4
Roaster: FR SR500,B-1600, SC/TO
Posted Sun Mar 17, 2013, 10:39am

One thing to consider is that very small changes in the grind make a big difference in the taste. One or two clicks on your grinder setting will make a significant difference in the end result. I would try playing with your grind, one click at a time, and see if you can get the flavor tuned in more to your liking. Cheers, Ron
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Fresh ground...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Donate to Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids works with farming communities around the world, improving lives. Donate today.
www.coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.313627004623)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+