Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Machines and Brewing Methods
Chemex Brewing Time - Please help
Coffee Kids
Help folks who help folks in coffee producing nations.
coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Chemex Brewing...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 3 last page next page
Author Messages
Crotonmark902

Expertise: I live coffee

Posted Sat Mar 23, 2013, 6:27am
Subject: Chemex Brewing Time - Please help

My morning routine is to freshly burr grind 12 tablespoons of coffee and brew it with 36 ounces of water to produce coffee for my wife and me.
My question is how long this should take.
My brew time is about 8-10 minutes and this seems crazy long.
I am grinding on the courser side of the dial and my grind looks courser than what I see in online videos
Is the chemex just not suited for > one cup production?

thanks for any help

Mark
 View Profile Link to this post
IMAWriter
IMAWriter

Espresso: Bezzera Strega
Grinder: Forte, OE Pharos,...
Vac Pot: Adcraft SS, Yama 8 cup
Drip: Brazen, Kalita, Chemex,...
Roaster: Behmor 1600, CO/UFO combo
Posted Sat Mar 23, 2013, 2:36pm
Subject: Re: Chemex Brewing Time - Please help

Crotonmark902 Said:

My morning routine is to freshly burr grind 12 tablespoons of coffee and brew it with 36 ounces of water to produce coffee for my wife and me.
My question is how long this should take.
My brew time is about 8-10 minutes and this seems crazy long.
I am grinding on the courser side of the dial and my grind looks courser than what I see in online videos
Is the chemex just not suited for > one cup production?

thanks for any help

Mark

Posted March 23, 2013 link

Holy Moley!
12 tablespoons (14.3 grams per tablespoon) = 171.6 grams!!!!!!!!!
Surely, you don't mean TEASPOONS?
If you don't, you're grinding 4x's (and more) the amount of coffee needed for 36oz in a Chemex. You're at about a liter of water, so about 45-48 grams would be correct. Don't grind coarse for Chemex. If you're using the standard "3 ply" filter, a medium drip grind would good for starters.

1 cup? In what world? 36 oz is 7 cups (plus 1 oz) by normal cup standards (5oz cups), not 8 oz mug size.

You are really mixed up here.

36oz water, 48 grams coffee counting the 30 seconds to wet the grounds to allow the "bloom" should take around 3-4 minutes tops.

Rob J (LMWDP #187)
My Music Production web site:
www.robertjason.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
Crotonmark902

Posted Sat Mar 23, 2013, 2:50pm

Thanks for the reply
I assure you that I am not mistaken
The standard ratio (and one I confirmed on this site just yesterday) is 2 tablespoons of ground coffee for every six ounces of water
Therefore, 6x2 tablespoons is 12 tablespoons for 6 x 6 ounces of water = 36
this is to make 6 cups of coffee
Normal standard measures,again for many years, is 6 ounces per cup

but I am trying to understand, using the standard 3 ply chemex filter why my brew of 36 ounces of water takes > 5-6 minutes to get thru the filter

thanks - any advice on brew time would be welcome

Mark

IMAWriter Said:

Holy Moley!
12 tablespoons (14.3 grams per tablespoon) = 171.6 grams!!!!!!!!!
Surely, you don't mean TEASPOONS?
If you don't, you're grinding 4x's (and more) the amount of coffee needed for 36oz in a Chemex. You're at about a liter of water, so about 45-48 grams would be correct. Don't grind coarse for Chemex. If you're using the standard "3 ply" filter, a medium drip grind would good for starters.

1 cup? In what world? 36 oz is 7 cups (plus 1 oz) by normal cup standards (5oz cups), not 8 oz mug size.

You are really mixed up here.

36oz water, 48 grams coffee counting the 30 seconds to wet the grounds to allow the "bloom" should take around 3-4 minutes tops.

Skylar

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: lelit espresso
Grinder: lelit grinder
Vac Pot: B. D. Electric
Drip: chemex
Roaster: wok roast and popper, heat...
Posted Sat Mar 23, 2013, 3:24pm

I do chemex every day. Video from Intelligentsia says around 50 grams (can't remember exact amount) for 25 0zs water. Chemex own site says one rounded tablespoon of coffee per cup. They also say you can use more to your taste.

As the Old Perfesser (Casey Stengel) used to say to sportswriters "You could look it up."

If that amount is associated with too slow a brew time I guess the coffee needs a coarser grind.

Cheers, Skylar
Crotonmark902

Posted Sat Mar 23, 2013, 3:51pm

Starbucks recommends 2 tablespoons per 6 ounces water. I think 3rd wave coffee is too weak. The ratios below are too weak.

Skylar Said:

I do chemex every day. Video from Intelligentsia says around 50 grams (can't remember exact amount) for 25 0zs water. Chemex own site says one rounded tablespoon of coffee per cup. They also say you can use more to your taste.

As the Old Perfesser (Casey Stengel) used to say to sportswriters "You could look it up."

If that amount is associated with too slow a brew time I guess the coffee needs a coarser grind.

Cheers, Skylar

al_bongo

Espresso: Starbucks Barista
Grinder: Solis 166/Iberital MC2
Vac Pot: Cona
Drip: Chemex/Melitta
Posted Sat Mar 23, 2013, 5:49pm

Crotonmark902 Said:

Starbucks recommends 2 tablespoons per 6 ounces water. I think 3rd wave coffee is too weak. The ratios below are too weak.

I can only assume your confusion arises from the use of tablespoons to measure coffee. Starbucks equates 2 tablespoons to 10 grams
i.e 10 grams to 6fl.oz
25/6 x 10 = 41.7 grams
So Intelligentsia is recommending MORE coffee than Starbucks at 50 grams.
johnnyb3

Grinder: Baratza Maestro Plus refurb
Vac Pot: Bodum Santos
Drip: Chemex
Posted Sun Mar 24, 2013, 6:08am

I have had a lot of success with the following method for Chemex: Grind medium to medium-coarse. Pour as much water through as you can for the desired contact time (3:30-4:00 for 36 oz would probably be a good starting point), let the filter drain, discard it, and pour the rest of the water directly in. Obviously you can dial in grind and contact time however you like using this procedure.
TheSunInsideYou
TheSunInsideYou

Espresso: Breville BES900XL
Grinder: Laranzato HC-600, OE LIDO,...
Vac Pot: Yama 3
Drip: Hario V60, Chemex
Posted Sun Mar 24, 2013, 7:06am

Crotonmark902 Said:

I worked for SBUX, and now I work in a third wave shop. I assure you that neither party recommends using so much coffee. You are misunderstanding properly extracted for weak. It is a misconception that just throwing more coffee in will make the coffee "stronger." If you use too much coffee and not enough water, the coffee will just not be fully extracted. If you use the correct amount of coffee, and still feel that the resulting brew is too weak, then grind a bit finer, maybe add a gram, slow your water flow. By adding more and more coffee, you're just going to lose all of the flavor of the back end and end up with really over-powered, underextracted cups.

There are a couple of issues here. First, you haven't noted the grinder you are using. I have a feeling that your grinder is creating too many fines, and thus hindering the flow. Are you using a quality burr grinder? That might be one of your major issues. Second, having a cheap scale that reads to .1g would make this a lot easier to diagnose. Yes, 2tbsp:6oz of water is a ratio that is cited over and over, but the issue is that every coffee has a different weight, so that ratio is inherently flawed.

I'm enjoying a Chemex of Olympia's Kanzu right now that I made with 40g of coffee and 640g of water (Heart's ratios), and I can assure that it is anything but weak.

Mark, the recommended brewing time for a Chemex of that volume is about 3:30-4min, as cited previously. If grinding coarse isn't bringing you any lower than 2x that, you're either using WAY too much coffee, or your grinder is insufficient. It can also be the speed at which you're pouring, but you stated that it takes 5-6 min to drain, which pretty much rules out the water flow being the issue.

Hope it helped.

-Dave-
RichardCoffee

Espresso: gaggia baby twin, mini...
Grinder: fiorenzato pietro 63mm,...
Roaster: weber grill with rk drum
Posted Sun Mar 24, 2013, 7:20am

Seems like you might benefit from a scale - you can pick up a gram scale pretty cheaply.  I have come to rely very much on weighing my coffee.  Start out with 60 grams per liter of water and see how you like it.
Crotonmark902

Posted Sun Mar 24, 2013, 7:38am

Dave
thanks
I am using a Capresso Infinity grinder

Mark
showing page 1 of 3 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Chemex Brewing...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Rocket R58 Double Boiler
Rocket Espresso R58 Double Boiler -  Everything you need for the perfect shot!
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.340230941772)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+