Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Machines and Brewing Methods
Now we know what GORT is (Behmor BraZen Brewer)
Find the Right Machine...
Package deals on the best machines from Izzo, Quick Mill, Rocket, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Now we know what...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 100 of 113 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
gilrain

Expertise: I love coffee

Grinder: Baratza Encore
Vac Pot: Yama Stovetop
Drip: Broken Brazen
Roaster: Whirly-Pop
Posted Fri Aug 16, 2013, 5:57am
Subject: Re: Now we know what GORT is (Behmor BraZen Brewer)

Well, I have to reverse my previous good reports. My Brazen started short-potting a few days ago. I previously reported this:

"After all the talk about scale build up and tap water, I feel extremely grateful for the water in my area. In my corner of western KY, the tap water tastes great and the hardness is 7 ppm. As a practical example, I boil water in the same electric kettle every day for several years -- and there isn't even a hint of scale. This isn't to brag, just to note that you don't always have to use filtered water. It's just better to err on the side of caution if you don't know your water hardness."

Nothing has changed about the softness of the water, here. It's effectively zero.

I don't have a lot of money to spend on coffee gear, so this is a big $200 of disappointment. This coffee maker is a brilliant idea with a poor execution.

I may try some of the many fixes and workarounds posted here, but honestly, the joy is gone from using a tool when you know it to be unreliable. I hate waking up in the morning and making a pot of coffee without knowing if it'll actually work or not. I'll probably just switch back to my vacuum pot. Not wiping up coffee stains after most pours will be refreshing, as well.

I was a true believer in the Brazen, but can no longer recommend it.
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
imsnowbear
imsnowbear

Grinder: Baratza Virtuoso
Vac Pot: Several, including Sunbeam...
Drip: Technivorm, Melitta Clarity,...
Roaster: SC/GG/Behmor 1600
Posted Fri Aug 16, 2013, 6:29am

The Brazen is definitely high maintenance. After bragging that drilling a hole in the lid eliminated my water flow issues, my Brazen short potted me again; ironically just after a citric acid maintenance cleaning. I unplugged the rascal and held it over the sink while spraying the inlet hole with the sink sprayer. Then I carefully probed into the opening with a toothpick. To my dismay some detrius was pulled out. It looked like cat fur, which is not surprising in our 3 feline household. (I can only imagine what my lungs look like.) This is the second time this happened but the first time was after only a month and the junk may have been there from the factory.

The Brazen is now back to normal, delivering its usual wonderful coffee.

Don't give up on the machine until you've tried the above. Follow the directions for descaling with citric acid or Dezcal, and then flush it out. If you still have the problem, try leaving the lid ajar since my problem was caused by vapor lock in the heating chamber. drilling a small hole in the lid helped me.

I sympathize with your frustration, but the Brazen is a precision instrument with the consequent idiosyncrasies. It's like the Little Girl With the Curl, when it's good, it's very, very good. When it's bad, its horrid. ;)

Good luck. Report back if you are able resolve your issues.
gilrain

Posted Fri Aug 16, 2013, 6:43am

My sink doesn't have a spraying attachment, and I can't think of another way to direct a sufficient stream of water into the upside-down valve. Hm. Maybe with one of those blue ear-cleaning bulbs? I think I have one of those around somewhere.

What's weird is that the machine went from draining fully every time to leaving an inch of water in the reservoir, with no gradual transition. Also, I always check the reservoir for detritus when adding water, but I suppose it's possible I missed something.

Anyway, I will be using my vacuum pot this weekend. I don't want to frustrate an otherwise-relaxing weekend with coffee troubleshooting.
imsnowbear
imsnowbear

Grinder: Baratza Virtuoso
Vac Pot: Several, including Sunbeam...
Drip: Technivorm, Melitta Clarity,...
Roaster: SC/GG/Behmor 1600
Posted Fri Aug 16, 2013, 6:57am

I really do think your problem may be an obstructed inlet, but don't forget leaving the lid ajar. Maybe you could try compressed air, as in one of those cans  of air they sell for cleaning computer keyboards, etc. I'd put a little water in there and then blast away. Also try probing with a toothpick etc. to pull out any debris before and after flushing.

Vac pot coffee is wonderful, but I had worse luck with that method than the Brazen. Also, too labor intensive. The cats would never wait long enough for their morning feeding for the coffee to brew.
gilrain

Posted Fri Aug 16, 2013, 7:38am

All right, well I couldn't get this off my mind, so I did a bunch of stuff. I thoroughly sprayed out the valve inlet and probed it with a small tool. That produced nothing, and when I shone a bright flashlight in I was able to see all the way to the screen. It's perfectly clean and clear.

I went on to descaling it, although, again, scale is not an issue in my area. We have extraordinarily soft water. I monitor it regularly, because I am a home brewer of hard cider and keep a sensitive fresh water aquarium. The water here is has a hardness of 7 ppm, no joke. However, I descaled it anyway. I decided to release the water/acid solution manually, to see if I could figure out anything else.

And yeah. The solenoid buzzes loudly and refuses to open or release any water about 50% of the time. If I close it and try again, it might buzz and stick again, or it might actually open fully and release water as usual. This is all with the top open, so a possible vacuum issue is ruled out. It's definitely a problem with the solenoid getting stuck closed, somehow.
gilrain

Posted Fri Aug 16, 2013, 7:45am

Now the solenoid won't open at all! Wow, that progressed quickly.
jran

Posted Fri Aug 16, 2013, 7:45am

Sounds like my experience with it.
My opinion based on my experiences with 3 Brazens is that there is a material defect in the solenoid diaphragm that will manifest over time regardless of factors other than regular use.

"Re: Now we know what GORT is (Behmor BraZen Brewer)"
 View Profile Link to this post
gilrain

Posted Fri Aug 16, 2013, 7:50am

Yeah, I saw your posts and also suspect we're experiencing the same issue. I may even void my warranty by opening it up and taking photos. I hate dealing with incredulous support people and returns, and if this is a common issue, it needs to be documented.
cafedj

Espresso: Bialetti, Aeropress
Grinder: Rocky doserless
Vac Pot: Bodum
Drip: Behmor Brazen
Roaster: Counter Culture
Posted Fri Aug 16, 2013, 7:59am

gilrain Said:

Yeah, I saw your posts and also suspect we're experiencing the same issue. I may even void my warranty by opening it up and taking photos. I hate dealing with incredulous support people and returns, and if this is a common issue, it needs to be documented.

Posted August 16, 2013 link

Unless you've definitely decided to abandon the Brazen I'd advise not voiding your warranty before contacting Behmor support.  My experience is they will quickly help you get a replacement machine if yours is not working properly, which is what you've described.

I also have soft water, had slow flow, tried descaling which made no difference, then flushed out the drain hole with a water sprayer and that fixed it completely.  There was no visible obstruction, but obviously something got cleaned out, and I'm happily back to great coffee.   Obviously if the valve isn't operating that's an entirely different problem and would be covered under the warranty.
 View Profile Link to this post
gilrain

Posted Fri Aug 16, 2013, 8:45am

I appreciate the advice cafedj, but yeah, this has killed my enthusiasm for owning a Brazen. Also, I have a natural curiosity about this sort of thing.

After a lot of trouble and rather more breakage than I usually need for taking apart appliances, I finally isolated the solenoid. However, this nut is too tight for me to loosen with my meager home tools. Was there any trick to it, jran?

This is where I'm at, now.
showing page 100 of 113 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Now we know what...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Cafe Espresso Machines
Video reviews, nationwide installation, leasing options... Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, La Marzocco.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.280582904816)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+