Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Machines and Brewing Methods
A project on traditional coffee brewers
Support Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids is a non profit charity working with farming communities around the world. Donate today!
www.coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > A project on...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
ASVJ89

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Tue Apr 2, 2013, 2:25pm
Subject: A project on traditional coffee brewers

Hi, so I just joined this forum, and well it mainly started because since I moved to study in the US I felt that the coffee I bought in stores or the coffee i was making in an electrical coffee maker wasn't as tasty and good as the coffee they used to make back home (in Ecuador). For this reason for a while now I was planning on making or designing some form of coffee brewer that would bring back and replicate the flavor of the coffee we drink in Ecuador. We normally use a cloth filter where you put the ground coffee and hot water, I know they do it like that here too but don't know the name. Anyways I started looking at other ways of making coffee in a traditional way and saw that Ethiopian, Turkish, this Mexican style called cafe de olla and and Ecuadorian version were very similiar as they boiled water and put coffee and let it settle in the bottom of the pot. So with these things in mind I started thinking of maybe a way in which I can bring this back and make it easy and comfortable for people to use and brew coffee in their own homes without getting a metalic/burnt taste in their coffee. So well right now I just have a lot of ideas going on but would like feedback or even thoughts or comments on what you think about this project.
I also made this short survey that i sent to my friends in order to see just pick up some details on their coffee consumption but I havent really done a survey before so I don't know if I addressed the right issues or questions.
I would appreciate any comment you have because at the end I want to be able to make a mixture of traditional coffee brewers or just a modern easy to use adaptation.
Thank you and please reply with any comment or information that might help me with this or even if you think this would be a good idea or not.

Andrea
 View Profile Link to this post
yakster
yakster
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Gaggia Factory / La Peppina...
Grinder: Vario / Kyocera
Vac Pot: Yama 8 + Pyrex Lox-in Rod
Drip: Brazen / Kalita / Chemex /...
Roaster: Behmor
Posted Tue Apr 2, 2013, 5:33pm
Subject: Re: A project on traditional coffee brewers

Hi Andrea, welcome to the forum.  I've been enjoying a nice washed coffee from the Espindola area of Ecuador that I purchased from Sweet Marias green (unroasted), and roasted up at home, it's very smooth and buttery and quite good.

You'll find that many electrical coffee makers don't make very good coffee, due to not brewing at the right temperature or not brewing for the right amount of time.  Three well thought of coffee brewers are the Bonavita, the Behmor Brazen, and the Tehnivorm, all of which brew coffee at the proper temperature (and the BraZen has programmable brew temperatures).  I use the BraZen every morning for morning coffee, but like to use smaller manual coffee makers or espresso machines later in the day when I want more coffee.

It sounds like the cloth coffee makers you are used to are similar to the Hario Woodneck brewer which is a cloth filter with a filter handle and a glass server.  I've only tried to make coffee with the cloth filter once or twice.  It might be interesting to see an electric coffee brewer using cloth filters, but the convenience of an electric coffee pot may be contrary to the necessary upkeep of cleaning and maintaining a cloth filter.

Good luck with your project.  It sounds interesting.

-Chris

LMWDP # 272
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
ASVJ89

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Tue Apr 2, 2013, 5:42pm
Subject: Re: A project on traditional coffee brewers

hi Chris
Thank you for that information, right now I am trying to gather information on anything that might affect the flavor of coffee as well. I have been asking some people who don't like coffee at all why this is, and seems to be due to a bitter and metallic taste, which I have found most average coffee makers cause. Now that you mentioned temperature and time I will look into this and research more about this.
I did look at the Hario brewer and although it is very similar to what we make home, I want to take this project further. I appreciate this information, I am still in research phase so any data or information would be great.
Thank you
 View Profile Link to this post
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > A project on...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Don't suffer bad espresso
Package deals on the best machines from Izzo, Quick Mill, VBM, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.214739084244)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+