Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Machines and Brewing Methods
Aeropress Method and Beehouse Method
Commercial Equipment
Nuova Simonelli, La Marzocco, Rancilio. Nationwide installation. Instant financing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Aeropress Method...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
Sam21

Expertise: I love coffee

Grinder: Baratza Virtuoso, LIDO,...
Vac Pot: Siphon, Aeropress, CCD
Drip: Kalita Wave, Beehouse,...
Roaster: Hottop KN-8828B-2K
Posted Tue Apr 9, 2013, 8:01am
Subject: Aeropress Method and Beehouse Method

I have seen plenty of ways of approaching both of these brewers, but wanted to share my approach which is the results of lots of experimentation, simplification, and practice.

Aeropress
- I use a base ratio of 17-18g/275ml and adjust to taste. I grind at a fine drip grind - that's worthless info, so start with a pour over grind and adjust for taste!
- 196-205*F water depending on the coffee, unheated Aeropress, and DISK Fine or paper, with an un-inverted aeropress.
- Coffee in, start timer, 275ml of water in with a 3sec stir.
- Let it steep until 1:20, remove plunger and stir, and begin plunging at 1:30.
- Finish plunge at 2min.
- Enjoy!

I've dialed in this method and the cups are delicious - you can adjust the batch size easily and keep the same time. I've used this method with 180-200ml batches, which is perfect for that late afternoon cup. Once you find your starting grind, you are all set! I have also had fantastic results without checking my water temp - using different water temps can just add subtle enhancements to a coffee. I find that a brighter coffee like a Kenyan becomes more savory, sweeter, while retaining brightness at lower 196-199 temps. I'm drinking a cup of Verve Lake Tawar Sumatra that was perfect at 204*F. It brought out the earthy herbal notes AND acidity for a more balanced cup.

Beehouse
- I use a base ratio of 18-19g/300ml and adjust to taste. It's actually roughly the same grind as the Aeropress.
- I use a water temp around 203-206*F.
- Bloom with 2x the amount of coffee - 36-38ml roughly in this case. Pause for 25-30sec, or longer if the bloom is exceptionally active!
- Begin with small pulse pours of 15-30ml right down the center with a pause to let it drain each time.
- As the bloom softens after the first minute, begin expanding into circles.
- Continue with the light pulse poured circles until 3min. Aim for 3:15-3:30 total time.
- If the coffee is draining too fast, wash the sides of the dripper down at the end. This clogs the filter a bit and slows the drawdown.
- If your kettle does not allow for drawing out the time like this, shorten the pour time to 2:30 and a total time of around 3min.

Pick a time, a ratio (60g/1L is a good starting point), and try to hit that time. Adjust grind for taste.

Hope this helps!
 View Profile Link to this post
jbviau
jbviau

Grinder: Preciso / LIDOs
Drip: Trifecta MB / Eva Solo...
Posted Thu Apr 11, 2013, 12:19pm
Subject: Re: Aeropress Method and Beehouse Method

Sam, I'm having good results with your Aeropress recipe, so thanks! Will be using it while in Boston for SCAA starting tomorrow. I'm not bringing a scale because I find a heaping Aeropress scoop of beans gets me about where I need to be in terms of coffee weight, and I can eyeball the water weight now that I've done a few test brews. I enjoy not having to use the inverted method; about that, as long as partially insert the plunger after that first stir and then pull up slightly drip-through isn't an issue--even with what's probably a somewhat coarser grind than described.
uRabbit

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Silvia V3 + PID
Grinder: Baratza Vario, Hario Mini
Drip: Chemex, AeroPress, Wave,...
Posted Fri Apr 12, 2013, 10:37am

Hmm. I use 20g and the most I can get in is 235mL. Do you fill it up all the way to the brim and just risk spilling coffee when you put the plunger in? Or, if you're doing inverted, I still don't understand. Ha.

Purista Coffee Co. - Blog, Reviews, Culture, More.
http://puristacoffeeco.com/ | thepuristas@puristacoffeeco.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
Sam21

Grinder: Baratza Virtuoso, LIDO,...
Vac Pot: Siphon, Aeropress, CCD
Drip: Kalita Wave, Beehouse,...
Roaster: Hottop KN-8828B-2K
Posted Tue Apr 23, 2013, 10:49am

uRabbit Said:

Hmm. I use 20g and the most I can get in is 235mL. Do you fill it up all the way to the brim and just risk spilling coffee when you put the plunger in? Or, if you're doing inverted, I still don't understand. Ha.

Posted April 12, 2013 link

I am using it regular and not inverted. If the coffee is very gassy, I stir after about 200ml to deflate the bloom and then top it off.

jbviau Said:

Sam, I'm having good results with your Aeropress recipe, so thanks! Will be using it while in Boston for SCAA starting tomorrow. I'm not bringing a scale because I find a heaping Aeropress scoop of beans gets me about where I need to be in terms of coffee weight, and I can eyeball the water weight now that I've done a few test brews. I enjoy not having to use the inverted method; about that, as long as partially insert the plunger after that first stir and then pull up slightly drip-through isn't an issue--even with what's probably a somewhat coarser grind than described.

Posted April 11, 2013 link

Glad to hear it! It's a great recipe and very simple. The no heat, no rinse, etc. makes it very easy to do on the road because you can just guess the water temp etc. I have a tiny and cheap pocket scale that I travel with. Just happy to hear that somebody has found this method useful!
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Aeropress Method...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Coffee Kids
Help folks who help folks in coffee producing nations.
coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.240216970444)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+