Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Machines and Brewing Methods
Am I drinking better coffee or weaker coffee!???
Cafe Solutions
Commercial sales and service, nationwide installation, equipment leasing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Am I drinking...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
Cmohamed1

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Tue Apr 16, 2013, 6:47pm
Subject: Am I drinking better coffee or weaker coffee!???

So after doing much research I purchased the well reviewed Bodum B Brew drip coffee maker. It's supposed to be the drip machine finally done right according to my research.

First off I know pour over and French press are the best way to go in regards to flavor, however I have gotten some very good cups from drip machines in the past.

So, I grind my beans course for the cone filter fresh daily (I've tried both paper and reusable). I've tried putting 4 tbsp for 2 cups as well as 7gr for 2 cups.

My dillemma is this: I am not getting the same bold taste I used to get with my previous cheaper drip makers and same beans (weak?)
Or
It taste decent black (I've never took my coffee black) but this is alright and when I add cream and sugar all the flavor is lost. I've heard when coffee is brewed properly cream and sugar actually ruins it (am I actually drinking better coffee.)

Thanks in advance for your help!!!!
 View Profile Link to this post
GVDub

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Londinium I, Arrarex...
Grinder: Gaggia MD85, Dienes Mokka,...
Drip: Behmor Brazen, Abid Clever
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Tue Apr 16, 2013, 7:31pm
Subject: Re: Am I drinking better coffee or weaker coffee!???

Normal brewing standards call for 10 grams of coffee per 177ml (.38 oz per 8 oz cup), so at 7 gm for two cups you're seriously weak. if, like most, your Bodum calculates a "cup" of coffee as 6 oz, if you're brewing an 8 cup pot, 75 grams per 1.2 liters of water seems to work pretty well.
dana_leighton
dana_leighton

Espresso: Isomac Relax; Caferina...
Grinder: Macap MXK; Baratza Vario-W;...
Vac Pot: Yama 5-cup
Drip: Technivorm; CCD; Melitta
Roaster: Poppery I w/PID controller
Posted Tue Apr 16, 2013, 7:32pm

Welcome to the CoffeeGeek forums, Chad.

First, I like to disabuse people of the idea that black is the only way to drink coffee. Drink it whatever way pleases you. Additions will only "ruin" the coffee if you don't like how it tastes with it. Some of us add sugar or cream, other don't. It is true that additions will compete with, and likely overwhelm the subtle natural flavors that are part of high quality coffee. But to say it "ruins" it is purely subjective.

Second, you are using much too little coffee. A general ratio (from the Specialty Coffee Association of America) for brewed coffee is about 1.65 grams of coffee per fluid ounce of water. It looks like the Bodum you have is marked as full at 10 cups, but is 40oz capacity. So, their "cup" is 4 ounces. so 2 cups = 8 oz water times 1.65 =   13.2 grams coffee.

Third, those brew ratios are a STARTING point - you should adjust the amount of coffee to suit your palate.

Fourth, are you using freshly roasted coffee? Freshly roasted means less than about 2-3 weeks from the date roasted. freshly grinding stale beans will not give good results.

(EDIT) Fifth, many drip brewers will not brew the same taste with less than a full load of water and grounds as a full load will do. Your experimentation with flavor should take that into account. That is, your brew ratio may need to change based on how much water you are using.

Dana Leighton - Espresso hack and CoffeeGeek moderator
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
Cmohamed1

Posted Tue Apr 16, 2013, 8:05pm

Actually I haven't been using freshly roasted beans

I guess I'm comparing the exact same brewing method on two different drip machines and wondering why there seems to have been so much more flavor when used a cheaper traditional drip machine.

Although I think you may be on to something with the "amount brewed" theory. I've been brewing 2 cups less than I usually do so maybe I'll try brewing 4 cups and see how it turns out.

Thanks very much for such thoughtful responses....

Input is still very much welcome. I want to hear what everyone has to say.
dana_leighton
dana_leighton

Espresso: Isomac Relax; Caferina...
Grinder: Macap MXK; Baratza Vario-W;...
Vac Pot: Yama 5-cup
Drip: Technivorm; CCD; Melitta
Roaster: Poppery I w/PID controller
Posted Tue Apr 16, 2013, 8:28pm

One more idea: you may want to try grinding somewhat finer. For drip, aim for particles like sand.

Have fun!
Dana

Dana Leighton - Espresso hack and CoffeeGeek moderator
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
Netphilosopher

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Wed Apr 17, 2013, 4:47am
Subject: ...

Cmohamed1

Posted Wed Apr 17, 2013, 3:43pm

Wow! Thanks to everyone who has taken the time out to dish me some advice.
I was wondering, would anyone happen to know whether or not the fact that I had my beans stored in the freezer could have ruined them?
Dooglas
Dooglas

Espresso: Vibiemme Junior
Grinder: Ascaso, Baratza
Drip: Bonavita, Bodum press
Roaster: GeneCafe, Behmor
Posted Sun Apr 21, 2013, 9:58am

Stale beans stored in the freezer certainly don't get "less" stale (lol). This business of storage and it's effects is somewhat controversial and you will hear multiple opinions. My own (based on some experimentation) is that freezing seems to have limited value in retarding the "aging" process of fresh roasted coffee. Get it fresh or roast it yourself, use it fresh (within about 2 weeks), has been my experience.
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Am I drinking...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Coffee Kids
Help folks who help folks in coffee producing nations.
coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.241866111755)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+