Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Machines and Brewing Methods
Aerobie Aeropress
Rancilio Silvia - How to
Step by step guide for easy brewing and steaming with the Rancilio Silvia
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Aerobie...  
view next topic | view all topics
showing page 260 of 289 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
AlanAdler
AlanAdler
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: AeroPress
Grinder: Baratza - Virtuoso
Roaster: Fresh Roast SR-500
Posted Fri May 3, 2013, 10:29pm
Subject: Re: Aerobie Aeropress

jpender Said:

I just don't like the fact that I can't keep the coffee from draining too fast when I use a metal filter, at least not without inverting the AP. And inversion is a kludge with its own issues.

Posted May 3, 2013 link

Hi jpender,

Gravity flow, prior to pressing, bothers people more than it bothers the brew.  I'll bet that if you do a blind comparison between a cup which had some gravity flow vs one that didn't (inverted), you'll find it doesn't matter.

Best regards,

Alan
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
rasqual
rasqual
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: *$ Barista, non-pressurized
Grinder: SMP
Vac Pot: Yama, Aeropress
Drip: Porcelain Melitta 103, Hario
Roaster: "ring roaster", mod popper
Posted Sun May 5, 2013, 11:26pm

jpender Said:

I'm probably weird in that I like small cups of strong coffee so the Aeropress is actually sized perfectly for me. I just don't like the fact that I can't keep the coffee from draining too fast when I use a metal filter, at least not without inverting the AP. And inversion is a kludge with its own issues.

Posted May 3, 2013 link

Have you tried inserting the plunger just a millimeter or two right after that initial thorough stir, while waiting however long you wait till pressing? It's less likely to drain through that way.
russ5679

Roaster: IRoast
Posted Mon May 6, 2013, 8:03am

AlanAdler Said:

It's not so much that I'm against the idea, as I think the present size is best for 90% of pressing occasions.

Posted May 3, 2013 link

That is true only if you like concentrate brewing.  If you don't, then the best you can get out of the aeropress is a 4 to 6oz cup.  

Inverted aeropress brewing makes an awesome cup of coffee, I just can't make a full mug with the current size.
 View Profile Link to this post
jpender
jpender
Expertise: I like coffee

Grinder: OE LIDO
Vac Pot: S/S Moka Pot
Drip: Aeropress
Posted Mon May 6, 2013, 10:00am

AlanAdler Said:

Gravity flow, prior to pressing, bothers people more than it bothers the brew.  I'll bet that if you do a blind comparison between a cup which had some gravity flow vs one that didn't (inverted), you'll find it doesn't matter.

Posted May 3, 2013 link

No, I haven't done a blind tasting. I would agree that it is likely to be subtle at best, but a single blind tasting would not necessarily capture the effect. The amount that bleeds through my metal filter is 10-20% of the final cup volume, depending on grind and coffee type, the time it takes me to pour the water and stir, and how effective sticking the plunger into the first few millimeters of the cylinder is.

One thing: That initial coffee tends to be VERY DIRTY. So I end up with more mud at the bottom of the cup when I brew non-inverted with my metal filter. Although I still get dirty coffee in the first bit that sneaks through after reverting an inverted brew, it's less.

I'd rather have a simple means for controlling the flow.
paulbel
paulbel

Espresso: aeropress
Grinder: conical burr (cuisinart)
Drip: sometimes
Posted Mon May 6, 2013, 11:59am

I can think of three options, each with its advantages and drawbacks

1) coarser grind
2) paper filter
3) inverted method
jpender
jpender

Posted Mon May 6, 2013, 5:03pm

Sure, the reasonable man adapts himself.

But I don't see why this little annoyance couldn't be solved without something akin to the Mahatten Project. Why can't we have a Clever Coffee Dripper with a plunger? Or an Aeropress with a valve? It doesn't seem like such a reach.

It may even be feasible to create an add-on to the existing Aeropress body that accomplishes this.
slickfast

Posted Mon May 6, 2013, 6:25pm

]]]

jpender Said:

Sure, the reasonable man adapts himself.

But I don't see why this little annoyance couldn't be solved without something akin to the Mahatten Project. Why can't we have a Clever Coffee Dripper with a plunger? Or an Aeropress with a valve? It doesn't seem like such a reach.

It may even be feasible to create an add-on to the existing Aeropress body that accomplishes this.

Posted May 6, 2013 link

The Aeropress is ripe for improvement. As someone that loves to design stuff I can tell you I would have a FIELD DAY if someone said "Hey Colin, you're allowed to do ANYTHING you want to the AP. You can even redesign it."

But he has a patent and that's that. I AM however coming up with a little accessory piece that essentially replaces the paper filter holder and makes it more useful. Instead of being just a holder it would snap ontop of the AP plunger rim to hold the scoop and plunger in there. Then, the upper compartment holds the filters. To keep them from falling out, I designed it to use the black plastic filter cap as the filter cap. This way you aren't tempted (like I do every day) to put the black cap back on the AP which holds the plunger in a compressed position (not good).

Bottom line: this thing holds all the essential AP components in one piece. Done.

Click Here (farm8.staticflickr.com)
AlanAdler
AlanAdler

Posted Mon May 6, 2013, 7:32pm

jpender Said:

Posted May 6, 2013 link

Jeremy, the young fellow behind Blossom Coffee attempted to get kickstarter backing for a device like this about a year ago.  He called it "The Blossom".  He demonstrated it to us.  We felt it was a solution in search of a problem.

He did not get the backing and moved on to the pursuit of other ideas.

Why do you use a metal filter?

Best,

Alan
jpender
jpender

Posted Mon May 6, 2013, 8:01pm

Hi Alan.

AlanAdler Said:

Jeremy, the young fellow behind Blossom Coffee attempted to get kickstarter backing for a device like this about a year ago.  He called it "The Blossom".  He demonstrated it to us.  We felt it was a solution in search of a problem.

He did not get the backing and moved on to the pursuit of other ideas.

Posted May 6, 2013 link

The problem with analogies is that they are often not apt. In this case you're attempting to compare a $10,000 doomed internet-connected, mahogany and teak festooned, fancy high-tech version of the Aeropress with my suggestion for a valve that could probably be produced as an add-on for dollars or maybe tens of dollars. It may be that hardly anybody cares about what I want so it isn't marketable. But that's a different issue.

A more pressing (get it?) issue is that the AP doesn't have enough volume to produce a full mug of coffee without a seperate dilution step. That doesn't affect me but it does matter to many. Example: "If I could make 4 cups at a time [in an Aeropress] I would never use the Brazen." Click Here (www.home-barista.com)

AlanAdler Said:

Why do you use a metal filter?

Posted May 6, 2013 link

Good question. I was curious about them and hoped they might improve on the mildness and lack of body I often experience with Aeropress brews. A friend who knew about that gave me one for Christmas. I use it about 80% of the time now. The jury is still out with this particular filter as far as I'm concerned.

But I never really liked the idea of the liquid sneaking past the paper filter either.
AlanAdler
AlanAdler

Posted Mon May 6, 2013, 8:33pm

jpender Said:

Hi Alan.
The problem with analogies is that they are often not apt. In this case you're attempting to compare a $10,000 doomed internet-connected, mahogany and teak festooned, fancy high-tech version of the Aeropress with my suggestion for a valve that could probably be produced as an add-on for dollars or maybe tens of dollars.

Posted May 6, 2013 link

Hi jp,

"The Blossom" was a $15 plastic cap with a rubber valve, which replaced the standard AeroPress cap.  It was just what you want.  It was offered as an accessory for the AeroPress.  But the kickstarter effort failed, so Jeremy moved on to his $11,000 machine

I searched the internet for a photo of it without success, but I only searched for a few minutes.  I'll bet it's out there.  You could write to Jeremy.

Best,

Alan
showing page 260 of 289 first page | last page previous page | next page
view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Aerobie...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Cafe Solutions
Commercial sales and service, nationwide installation, equipment leasing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.446542024612)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+